1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT-Austin baseball coach Augie Garrido arrested for drunk driving

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bigtexxx, Jan 17, 2009.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Now this is just pathetic. What an atrocious example for his team.

BOOK EM HORNS

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/6216797.html

UT coach suspended after drunk driving arrest
    Garrido to be paid as investigation continues
    By JOSEPH DUARTE Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Jan. 17, 2009, 1:16PM

Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido has been suspended indefinitely following his arrest early Saturday for driving while intoxicated.

Garrido was arrested shortly before 1 a.m. during a routine stop after police noticed his vehicle weaving near downtown Austin, Lt. David Crowder said.

Garrido, 69, has been suspended by the university with pay pending an investigation, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said.

"This is a difficult and regrettable situation that we are taking very seriously," Dodds said in a statement. "I spoke with Coach Garrido and he's devastated and realizes he made a serious mistake. He deeply regrets putting the university in this position and will act quickly to do what's right."

Garrido did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Garrido, the winningest coach in NCAA Division I baseball, received a five-year contract in November that runs through 2013. He is guaranteed to make $1 million annually by 2012.

He has an all-time record 1,629-755-8 in 39 seasons. In 11 seasons at Texas, Garrido has guided the Longhorns to two national titles (2002 and 2005) and the College World Series in five of the last eight seasons.

Garrido also won three national titles with Cal-State Fullerton.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't like UT but when your entire existence is based on posting negative stories about UT and once in a blue moon getting to talk about your own school it's pretty pathetic too.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

thank you texxx. some things never change with posters, lol.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

He should be devastated he's 69 years old and coaching college kids and you do this???
    Pathetic

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

No kidding. I am so sure that bigtexx doesn't have any skeletons in his closet. :rolleyes:

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Absolutely deplorable.

I'm speaking about both things here. What Augie did is pathetic and wrong. He, of all people, should know better.

That said, little tex, your hatred of all things burnt orange is beyond pathetic and sad. Do you sit around all day waiting for news like this? I live in Austin and I hadn't heard anything about this.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Do you ever even post anything good about your own school?

I've never seen anyone so obsessed with another school.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

and nobody cares. since when was college baseball big?

9. bigtexxx

Check the front page of the Statesman, brah

http://www.statesman.com/

I love how you guys try to turn this one on me. Pretty much tells me that you've accepted the fact that your school brings in thugs and criminals to not only play on your teams, but now also to coach them. Nice job

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I've always wanted to know...
    <br>
    texxy boy, do you even watch basketball?? :confused:

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

and the sad thing is, even with criminals, UT is still the best sports college in the state and among the top in the nation.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I saw it in the chron when it was published. First thought was it was going to be a matter of time before Texxx posts this.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Schadenfreude

14. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

You're kidding right?

15. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

Texas baseball was fantastic 04-06, while winning a championship in 05. In fact, we held both baseball and football national championship at one point. Had Kevin Durant taken us all the way, we would've had all three, and that's pretty crazy. When you are Texas, every collegiate sports is serious, even women's volleyball.

I respected Augie and everything he has done for both Texas and college baseball. It's really disappointing for me to hear this.

16. bigtexxx

"Even with criminals"? More like they shamefully bring in criminals in an effort to win at all costs. So much for student-athletes.

Oh well Rice served up UT a nice smackdown in the regional round last year, ending their season. That might have been Augie's last game. Ever. Tears, brah

17. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I've met dozens of Rice grads (which isn't easy; there aren't that many of them). The only Rice grads that haven't been complete azzhats are the ones that played baseball there. I figure the baseball players are less rapped up in the whole prestige myth because they only went to Rice for the baseball team.

For everyone else, going to Rice feeds the ego of all the nerds who were picked on in school. MIT grads are less egotistical than Rice grads. It's really sad.

18. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

dui is terrible and all, but there's another act that should be deemed illegal. the use of the word brah.

anyway, up yours augie. keep that **** at home and stay off the roads.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'd be curious to hear Zol's take on this situation -- his opinions on UT athletics are amongst the best i've ever read.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

college baseball is stupid.
    I might as well college volleyball

and bigtexxx, do you ever get the notion that maybe nobody gives a **** about this situation and you can call ut players criminals all you want? we usually ignore anything you have to say since its words of worthless ****