1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dead Space

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Anybody else getting this game, or already have it? I think I'm going to pick it up after work today. It's currently an 89 on Metacritic and most reviews are saying it's a no brainer purchase.

It's been compared favorably to the Resident Evil series, specifically Resident Evil 4, which I think is one of the best games I've ever played. The only complaints I've gathered from reading/watching reviews is some repetitive enemies and some backtracking. The visuals, voice acting, storyline, gameplay, and music/sound effects are apparently all top notch.

Here's a couple of video reviews...

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=41718"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=41718" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=850402&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/918/918871/deadspace_vidrev_101108_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all%"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360'></embed>

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i have it...its amazing...if you like the resident evil series and alien creatures coming after you and all that jazz...its a must

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't really have time to play it right now, but I was thinking about giving it at least a rent at some point. I like some of the concepts of the game, and it looks like they were able to avoid any issues that some other games have (see AitD or something like that). I've been wanting to play some more "next-gen" (can I still use this term) horror games, but a lot of them seemingly haven't turned out all that great (AitD, SH5, etc.).

4. ClutchCityReturns

Yeah, I really haven't played any survival horror type games since RE4, and I'm patiently awaiting RE5. I didn't even know about Dead Space until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a screenshot. Even then I brushed it off because I thought the main character's design was terrible and figured the rest of the game would be trash too. Turns out, I was very wrong...although I still think the main character still looks pretty blah.

5. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I bought it at launch and finished it in about a week.

Awesome game all-around, the production values (graphics and audio) are through the roof. I'd give it a 9 or 9.5

6. ClutchCityReturns

Figured I'd offer an update.

I'm in Chapter 9 (of 12) and have to talk myself into putting the controller down because it's so damn good. I'm not even done and it's already one of the best games I have played in a long time. I honestly can't think of a single flaw worth mentioning. In my opinion it's every bit as good as Resident Evil 4.

I could go all day, but I'll stop now. I'll probably update again anyway when I finish (which at this rate will be soon).

7. ClutchCityReturns

I assume nobody cares, but I did say I would update once I had beaten the game, so...

I'm done with it and I must say, this is one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Production quality is top notch, from visuals to voice acting and the dynamic musical score. It maintains a degree of uneasiness that I've probably never experienced in a game. There are simply no "safe" moments in the game, even when you're in a menu screen or shopping at a kiosk. Enemies travel through air vents, so they can pop out from just about anywhere, at any time.

I also found it to be perfectly paced, as it took me just under 17 hours to complete. For a game that encourages multiple play-throughs, I think that's just right. Most people took around 12 to 14 hours, but I opted to take my time and relish the experience.

I'd hate to give anything away to those interested in playing, so I'll leave it at that. If you enjoy survival horror/action type games, this is a must buy. Do not be scared off because it was made by EA. They got this game right.

I only take points off because it was mostly straight forward and linear, without much (if any) puzzle/riddle solving. Also, there's a low number of weapons (6) and one of them is universally considered to be useless. They can be upgraded significantly, though. Minor gripes in an otherwise awesome game.

I give it a 9.2 out of 10.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

My brother has it and has had nothing but great things to say about this game...He's going to let me borrow it when he comes up for Thanksgiving...

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was wondering about this game, glad to hear positive stuff all around, have to pick it up now.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Aw, man. I thought this was about all the peeps whose MySpace accounts had NO FRIENDS, not even TOM. :( Never mind. Carry on.

11. coma

coma Contributing Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently started playing this game and wanted to share in the awesomeness that is Dead Space.

Wow, this game is amazing, as someone mentioned previously, it kept my heart rate up whenever I play it.

Stunning graphics, fluid movement, tenacious enemies, engaging story, and a very fitting score.

I'm currently getting ready to do battle with the final boss!

12. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

greatest. survival. horror. game. ever.

13. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

Yes this game is awesome...beat it a couple of months ago and still sticks in my mind as one of the best games of the year.

14. A00man

A00man Member

I just beat Act 3 and I'm loving the game so far. Great atmosphere!

15. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

I keep getting eviscerated in this room where 3-4 of those guys all gang up on you during Chapter 5. I've depleted all my ammo and credits so I think I'll need to backtrack to an earlier save point and start conserving ammo from there...great game though :cool:

16. ClutchCityReturns

Playing on hard, are you?

17. coma

coma Contributing Member

I'm a hard head when it comes to using all my tools in a game. However, statis is your friend!

I just killed the final boss, this game is definitely in my top 3 all time.

18. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

i have it its awesome..!!

19. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

The Secrets of Dead Space
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=203538

30-Dec-2008
    Deciper the cryptic words scrawled on the bulkheads of the Ishimura

Dead Space is an interstellar scare-a-thon of the absolute highest order. And we guarantee that anyone who plays the game will wish they knew what all the alien scribblings plastered inside the Necromorph-infested Ishimura mining vessel mean. Which is why we went and cracked the code.

The vast majority of it ties-in with the game's religion, Unitology - the fanatical followers of which support the idea of the recently deceased waking up, growing a few extra limbs and snacking on necks. As Isaac Clarke you'll uncover reams of Unitology writings, all of which can be decoded. Get your thinking caps on...

After the credits have finished the endgame screen will appear saying 'Dead Space', 'Chapter Twelve' and 'Completed', all written In Unitology. Scribble them down, or take a picture if you can, and you'll have your first steps towards solving the game's secrets. Armed with these symbols it's possible to revisit previous chapters and start cracking the code.

The biggest secret appears once in every chapter. It's a strain to read but by boosting the in-game brightness and turning the camera the message is unmistakable: 'Do you believe? deadspace.ea.com/ibelieve. Your light shows the way. We have left you a gift.'

Follow the weblink and you'll uncover the truth. Hidden in each chapter is an arrow which glows green if you wave your torch over the top, and by plugging the arrows into the website's algorithm you'll discover the following code: YXYXXYXXYXXY (or TSTSSTSSTSST for the PS3). Type this in when the game's paused and five extra nodes are yours.

The rest of the text is more in keeping with Dead Space's story. They're a happy bunch these Unitologists. 'Unity is forever,' 'Death is only the beginning' and 'Keep us whole' are three particular favourites of theirs. Almost every passage makes reference to death, the Marker (the artifact responsible for Dead Space's Necromorphs) or Unitology's founder, Altman. Think Scientology's Ron Hubbard and you won't be too far off the mark. Certainly the implications of the pay-to-pray religion's methods, along with the atheist's views that Unitology is simply a cult, bear a striking resemblance. 'Don't be afraid and rejoin the holy one: Altman our martyr, our pioneer.'

Special mention should be reserved for the Marker. The artifact unearthed on Aegis-7 is a fake: a replica of the original Marker discovered on Earth years before. If you watch Dead Space Downfall you'll even spy this revelation at the start. The discussion about a retired ship class leaving its mark on Aegis-7 was soon forgotten when the Marker was found, when in actual fact it was that very ship which dropped it off in the first place.

Sadly the markings on the Marker itself are too jumbled to make any sense of, but the importance of the artifact is impossible to ignore. From the hidden lab in chapter four to the scribblings dedicated to the relic, the Unitologists are obsessed with the Marker and its paranormal properties.

Even the main menu is home to Unitology phrases. Enter the options menu and you'll pull the camera back, revealing three more messages: 'Red Marker is man made', 'Trust no one' and 'There's always Peng!' The last being a reference to the hidden Peng trophy in Chapter 11 which is in the trench on the left of the walkway you start on (grab it to unlock an achievement / trophy).

That's not all. The deeper you delve into the menus, the more you'll see. 'Rancid Moon' on the bottom right is a reference to the game Dead Space was originally pitched as - a prison break in space. Thankfully executive Producer Glen Schofield decided against that strategy and opted for Dead Space instead. In keeping with the story, 'Make us whole' is the phrase on the top left, and the final phrase in the top right corner reads 'Secret Message Fail'. The irony never fails to raise a smile.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is looking like the next game I pick up -- I love RE especially the last one so this looks perfect. I really like that the setting is in space.