1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ron Ron going to stay in houston??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ross84, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

As we all know we stole Mr. Artest from Sacramento. But we also know that everything comes with a price, his contract is only for one year. Do you think Morey will fork out the money and keep him or do you think we will lose him for good (our luck Utah will acquire him) :mad: Or the third option...no idea :rolleyes:

2. redao

redao Member

He will play for the Lakers.

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

We would have to make alot of deals for that to happen. Whose contract comes off the books next season?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I say give him a 1yr extension at a high rate asap. But I have the feeling its an Astros style rental. Les has been acting scared out of his mind about the luxury tax.

5. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

We might be in the Lux tax regardless next season. Some players salaries go up, and I don't think there will be enough money coming off the books to make up for it.

If the GM is smart, he gives Artest a solid deal (3 year @ 10 million, say), we'll be 10 million into the Lux tax, but then in 2010, Tmac and Battier come off the books, and will probably end up signing for less money. I'm thinking Tmac at 10 million and Battier at 3-4 million.

6. jVgOwnsYou

Artest would be stupid to take 3 years 10 million. This is his last opportunity to cash in big. His career is winding down.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Too early to tell... if the team goes deep in the playoffs, Rocket probably try harder to keep Artest even with tax. Don't think the Rockets, or any other team, will offer Artest close to the max... he'll get a good deal, but probably more in the Maggette/Billups neighborhood. He does have a history, and he isn't young any more. Nobody wants to be stuck overpaying a washed-up 34-35 year old player.

If the Rockets fail early in playoffs again, there isn't even a gurantee that TMac or Battier will be kept, let alone Ron.

So far, I am guessing more of the former scenario.

8. jVgOwnsYou

Who do you think we could trade midseason to clear up some room for Artest next year? I guess Steve coming off the books will open up a little room. I dont see us moving Battier, so our options are kind of limited here.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

TMac likely 3/40+ and Shane 4/36 IMHO. Your figures would require a total economic meltdown.

Alexander spoke to Ron - Ron about an extention and both agreed to wait til the summer. Artest will go 5/65 (again) IMHO.

10. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Depends if we want to be a player in the summer of '10.

I'd think he should get a 3-4 year deal at $8MM per.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets actually win big (championship or finasl), this may be one of these scenarios in which Les actually bites the bullet and pays luxury tax for one year (a ton of salary comes off the books the next season and they have their options to either keep their guys or go after younger FAs).

Otherwise, I am thinking the Rockets might look to find a taker for Scola, Landry or even Rafer (if Brooks shows he can handle the starting job).

But I agree, given the size of Yao and Tracy's contracts, the 2009-2010 season tax limit is hard to get under.

12. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Sign Ron for next year to transform the hearts of Rox players. Rox need a player of high intensity like Ron.

13. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Tmac will depend on his health. But you've got Shane's pay going UP when at his age it should be falling a bit especially since he is not a big scorer and is dependent on his legs to maintain his defensive ability. I think Shane would be hard pressed to get better than 3/20. And I don't think Ron will get a 5 yr contract anywhere based on his past problems. If he goes into his old troubles again no-one wants that much time and $'s hanging over their head. 3 yrs and maybe $30, maybe less.

I think more owners are going to offer less for guys over 29 from now on. Too unpredictable who will continue to contribute at former levels. The cash is not going to be there from TV, tickets or concessions for the next 3-4 years at least, maybe longer.

14. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

He better stay or ill throw a cup of ice at him!

15. acjeitherocket

lol i cosign wit this dude

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Tracy should give out half of his salary to Yao and Artest. RonRon will then retire as a Rocket. :D

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Id offer offer Ron something like 3 years - 34-36 mil

18. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

I see absolutely no reason he won't be here next year. He won't try to break the bank and he does every single thing Morey wanted him to do as a Rocket. No, he's not all the way to what he hoped he would do, but that's coming up

19. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

And what team is going to give him more than 3 years 10 million? Rebuilding teams aren't going to spend money on him. Teams in "win now" mode won't have the cap space.

I believe if we offer that, it would be the best offer (like I said, anyone with money to spend won't want him). If for some reason he feels disrespected by that offer and declares that he wants out, we could then entertain offers. Maybe we'd get a low pick or some solid role players on good contracts out of the deal (maybe a better PG). Or maybe we could 2 for 1 and get a guy that wants off of their team... who knows.

I don't know if its worth giving artest more than 10 million a year with him getting to be on the wrong side of 30.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You need to specify if you meant 3 year at 10 million total

OR

3 years at 10 million a year totaling 30 million

former is a bargain for us and lunacy for Artest to sign. latter is what artest is prolly looking for to start with and for us really having to think long and hard to sign him for that.