1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanish team's controversial photo together

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by devin23, Aug 11, 2008.

1. lcbraz

lcbraz Member

It could be interpreted to be a case of insensitivity if Spain did not have a history of racism and this was a first time slip. Spanish history is celebrated with one of the most famous cases of ethnic cleansing when they expelled all Muslims from their country to make themselves "pure".

2. Spanish_Rox_Fan

lcbraz, you should take a look around your country's history, and then you could be able to speak.. if USA were as ancient as Spain....

how many wars to make dirty/bloody money and crimes vs black people and cases of racism would have take place???? :rolleyes:
    i would prefer not to imagine it..
    USA was born in 1776, Spain in Ancient Age, and...thank goodness! do you know it? Posibly you didn't learn in school :(

I know that USA population isn't the most indicate people to speak about this..
    This '''problem''' is between Spain and China, China and Spain.
    ;)

Vi Veri Veniversum Vici Vici (aplicaos el cuento yankees, el imperialismo no cuela)

3. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Beautiful and wonderful, but then you'll watch Pulp fiction and will laugh of some jokes...

Clasic hypocrisy

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, STFU -- you don't even know me. Besides, you're the one excusing Aragones' behavior because he's a "natural joker." That's beyond clueless.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

How many other societies have mixed races like the U.S.? That's why I think this country is the word's greatest social experiment, and am extremely encouraged by all the progress its made. These things take time, but I'm glad I'm atleast seeing progress.

6. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

And it seems you know veri well Luis Aragones... You should be who STFU.

7. Spanish_Rox_Fan

oh, american people knows everything!! don't distrust him!
    and and they can judge Spain people, Chinese people, and.. Mozambique people too, cause they are ****in' better than us ;) U.S is a country where isn't racism..etc etc.. and his past, and present are cleaning of all of that! 100% pure..

(IRONIC MODE ON)

I agree with DaronMalakian...

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Not from america, never been in america, nothing from personal experience, but do have friends that went there to study and complain of racistism, muslim friends in particular.

And why is this tread being brought up again?

There is no more point of arguing.

Those who cant see it as racist, will never see it no matter what the others say.
    Just let it rest.

The ignorant will always stay ignorant until they learn.

9. lcbraz

lcbraz Member

That is why in the USA, as Jason Kidd noted, no athlete would get away with pooling a stunt like the Spanish basketball team. USA has learned from its mistakes. Spain has not. That is the problem.

10. Zion

Zion Member

Exactly.

Thats my biggest issue with this whole thing. Instead of the Spanish team apoligizing and saying, it was a big mistake and we did not realize we were offending anyone. Their reaction was we did nothing wrong so if you are offended F*** you. It was the same thing with the Hamilton F1 racing incident and the Thierry soccer incident. The Spanish fans and media were like "Racism in Spain noooooooo!! there 's no racism here"

Nobody is saying there is no racism in other countries including the US. However when it does happen most people and the media acknowledge it and condemn it.

The arrogance of the Spanish is what disgusts me the most.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Spain has been here for a very long time. Spain should be setting an example for the younger countries then.. not the other way around.

Racism is a global issue.. if it's wrong the world should condemn it... no matter who it is being directed towards...
    Say NO to racism!!

12. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Yeah, there's no racism in the USA!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=581484&sec=mls&&cc=5901

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

14. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

that's f@kn unbelievable. did any of you who are defending the spanish team read the article? this isnt the first "all in fun" racist gesture. the article says in fact they are known for blatant racism.

sadly, china will do nothing to get a public apology from the spanish team.
    so i guess it makes no difference.

i wonder what spain has contributed to the world in past 150 years? other than the island of ibiza.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i put "white boy" in bold print because that means you are in the majority in this country. so racist remarks or gestures arent gonna mean much. if you are going in for a job interview in a large "good ol boy" firm then you will likely get the job over an asian, hispanic, african-american. nobody cares if some minorities called you names.

yeah, the US is VERY RACIST. but that doesnt mean that it's excusable to be racist. i've actually travelled around the world and the US is actually less racist (depending on the region) in comparison to european AND asian countries.

the reason why? because it's the most multi-cultural country. so yeah, spanish people might not be racist towards whitey or other spaniards other than mexicans, (i know for a fact many spaniards are racist towards mexicans) but all other races or ethnicities dont count?

It isnt about which country you are in or where you are from or if you have a friend of that race or if you are 1/100th of that race because somewhere down the family line your great great great grandmother was raped by someone of that race.

It is about respecting others and putting a stop to childish ignorance.

Yes, I am also talking to all of you white-washed asians who say you arent offended and that people should grow thicker skins. this is not about how you feel but about a major global problem. why do you think we have wars?
    religion, nationalism, money, and racism.

small things like that picture can be prevented. when it snowballs into something bigger like 1950's america or germany in the 30's or Japan in the 19.. well japan is still very racist.

if your kid starts sniffing paint you reprimand them because you never know. in 3 years time he/she could be whoring themselves on westheimer for a bag of heroin.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes, it's racist, but who cares. I'm a member of the world's most distrusted minority, but I don't mind people using 'atheist' as an insult if they wished to do so. Free speech isn't limited to only things that everyone thinks is nice.

We'll let them do things with which we disagree, and they'll allow us to do things with which they disagree.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

first - "anti-atheism" isn't even on the same radar as racism.

second - no one is saying the Spanish bball team should be put in jail. Hell i think Spain is beyond the jurisdiction of the PC-police. But this is not even a "free speech" issue. Don't try to make it one. This is a "they are racist a-holes" issue.

third - people should care. racism should be viewed as wrong. would your opinion be different if they were KKK mocking black people? I suppose black people should say "who cares"?

i cry tears for the oppression you must face on a daily basis.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Why are people still talking about this? Yes it was racist and an extremely stupid idea on their part, but get over it.