1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mini Nuke Plants on Sale Within 5 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Nov 9, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

My prediction: This is the primary solution to declining fossil fuel production.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hadn't heard of this before but it sounds fantastic if truly safe. The cost seems almost too good to be true. This would chop the legs out from under Iran, Russia, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia without one bomb being dropped.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I agree that nuclear power is a good idea in general, however, I think having lots of small reactors is a bad idea. The chance to have something faulty or defective goes up along with the parts count per kw. You'll also have many more people involved vs building a new large reactor which increases the risk do to human error.

Lots of other problems with nuclear such as waste or weapons grade material if you reform the waste, water usage, cost etc.

4. weslinder

We currently have 85 "small" nuclear reactors that aren't nearly as safe as these that are operated by mostly 19-25 year old young men and women. It works well.

5. weslinder

Agreed.

6. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

would it be plausible for a municipality to purchase these?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Finally!

I'm not sure how I feel on concentrated vs. dispersed nuclear plants.

There's risks with both.

Concentrated = target for terrorists/military

Dispersed = greater civilian risk

8. weslinder

I would think so. I'll bet that the first group to are industries such as manufacturing who will use the power they need and sell the rest to the grid. Many of them already handle small amounts of nuclear material and have established procedures for it.

The next most likely would be rural electrical co-ops. They have taxing authority, and could sell bonds to pay for the capital costs, and significantly reduce variable cost for power.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Link for this? Just did a quick google on this and I'm intrigued.

For the sake of discussion, if safety isn't an issue and it's cost effective, what is the downside? Educate me. Play "devil's advocate".

10. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

he is talking about subs and aircraft carriers.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's right. My bad. Brainlock.

12. weslinder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_ships_of_the_United_States_Navy

74 nuclear submarines. 11 nuclear carriers.

Safety is an issue, but it's a manageable issue, has been for a generation, but the US government still refuses to permit new nuclear reactors. I really don't know why.

13. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

14. weslinder

We have nuclear waste from all sorts of instruments in the chemical industry. There are disposal procedures for it, and it seems to be reasonably safe. I can only imagine that these "environmentalists" are egged on by coal and gas producers.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds Good to me . . .
    . . . need to read more on it though

Rocket River

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have mixed feelings about this too and would definately need to see more. The idea of perhaps thousands of dispersed nuclear reactors around I think should be a cause of concern then again we have thousands of tanks of highly explosive material around, gas stations, and there have been very few accidents.

I'm also very skeptical regarding some of the stuff about no moving parts when if that was the case then how is the reaction controlled or even how do they get the power into a usuable form. Most nuclear reactors generate a lot of heat that is used to generate steam to drive turbines creating electricity. If these mini-reactors work that way then there has to be a lot of moving parts that are going to require maintanence. Also if they are generating steam where is the water coming from and how is the excess heat and steam dealt with? Another thing I wonder about is if these things can't be stolen because they are too hot to handle how is having one of these buired in someone's back yard going to affect to other infrastructure?

17. nokidding

nokidding Member

I am pretty sure they use some new techs, otherwise every company can build a small old fashion nuclear plant.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Same as ever,disposing of the waste. Additionally you would have to run around to lots of rural areas carting nuclear waste all over the place.

Hey, let's hope they can have a breakthough on the waste issue. You can just pretend it has been solved.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is awesome news -- long overdue. Hopefully we'll have some major advances in breeder reactor technology in the near future as well.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Breeder reactors are the answer to this problem.