1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

new orleans...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ILoveTheRockets

The whole state of Louisiana is AWESOME!!!!!!!

From Lake Charles, and there is no state that can even compare to our beloved state. Louisiana is the real deal, besides the crooked politicians, there is no place better. :cool:

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i think this map disagrees with you.
    [​IMG]

LA is a cool state, and NOLA is a great vacation spot. houston is home.

3. tulexan

tulexan Member

I don't care what you people say, living in New Orleans is great. I've been here for 6 years and have never been shot at, robbed, mugged, or had my car stolen. The city does have crime problems, but as long as you stay out of areas you shouldn't be in, you are fine. The only other city that is even comparable to live in as someone in their 20's is New York. The entire culture is based around having a great time and enjoying life.

Don't base the city on Bourbon Street either because mostly tourists go there. If you really want to enjoy the city go to the Garden District or Uptown.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I just found out that I am going to be heading to a conference in New Orleans in February. It's going to be a pretty short stay, 3-4 days. We'll be flying out of Little Rock and staying at The Astor Crowne Plaza.

First: What is it like down there now? Should I decline the invite to this conference? My employer will be paying for basically everything so I won't be out of any money.

I'll ask further questions once my initial one gets answered. I'm intrigued about going but just not sure if it would be worth it or not.

5. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Austin is badass

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

If you have never been to NOLA, then go. Definitely go. It's an absolute blast.

Like anywhere else, watch out for crime. Bourbon Street simply MUST be experienced.

7. Will-Pac

Will-Pac Member

rep yo city

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was down in NOLA a few months after Katrina and have been meaning to visit again. NOLA is certainly one of America's great cultural treasures and it was sad to see it largely empty and damaged but its good to hear its slowly getting back on its feet.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't been to NOLA since Katrina. It's great to read of people having a gas there! Few cities in the country have food that compares. My brother-in-law is Cajun and an incredible cook. Must be in the genes. ;)

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

craving for cajun food? fresh seafood, affordable prices, cozy/laid back atmospher, warm bartenders and servers, 50 inch plasmas plus 120 inch projector, and rockets/texans/texas college team game specials..

check this out located in NW Houston/JV area..

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv5806.asp

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was in Lafayette for Halloween, I had a great time. Being there felt like Houston cause Nacogdoches is so freaking tiny lol.

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Thats why the call it the big easy

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

if you decline an expenses-paid trip to NOLA i will find you and punch you in the stomach.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :D From the responses in this thread, it looks like I will accept the invitation to the conference and go. Does anybody know anything about the hotel I would be staying at? I've read a brochure and it says it is right at the heart of the French Quarter and next to a lot of big attractions like Bourbon Street and such. Anybody ever stayed there before?

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

not sure, but there are a ton of decent hotels near the quarter/downtown area so i'm sure you're fine.

bourbon srteet is fun if you've never been, but definitely try to make it uptown/garden district... a lot less touristy and obnoxious. definitely check and see what music is playing.

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

bump

I am going to New Orleans in a few weeks for a bachelor party. Any hotel recommendations that are somewhat close (walkable) to all of the fun and is a decent price? Not looking for anything fancy, just somewhere to sleep.

17. AkeemTheDreem86

Not sure about hotels but make sure you hit up Frenchman's Street. Bourbon is fun for a little but very touristy. Frenchman's is still in the French Quarter and has all the good music/bars.

1 person likes this.
  18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Westin across the street from Harrah's and maybe 3 or 4 blocks from Bourbon. Also right next to the French Quarter and it's inside a mall.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Boz

The Boz Member

I second this. Stayed at the Westin many times.

20. Classic

Classic Member