1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How hard is it to walk-on at a university?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dafranchise0309, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

What high school?

2. dafranchise0309

Does it matter?

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Definitely talk to coaches and get some film together. They will not lie to you about the chances of making their team and perhaps earning a scholarship. I began as a walk on (tulane) and I definitely suggest going to a school based on other interests (such as academics and location) and then walking on. Do not go to the university that gives you the best chance to earn a scholarship. Chances are the situation will change (be it players, coaches, etc.) or you may just lose interest in football and want to focus on other things, so you want to be at a place you will enjoy. Another option may be talking to some junior college coaches, as many of the players are in your same predicament. Whatever you decide to do, walking on to a major division one program is a very tough and rewarding experience so go for it. But I wouldn't rearrange your life by going to a school you otherwise would not be interested in, with the hope of earning a scholarship.

4. dafranchise0309

thanks for that list, my parents still want me to get a good college education and I am pretty sure a few of those schools are not known for their education. What about other southern schools? I've always wanted to go to georgia tech, or is that out of my reach too?

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Your reach is basically any school you can get into. If you get into Georgia Tech academically, they will give you the chance to walk on. There may be a tryout of some sort or they may just throw you to the wolves and let you begin during 2-a-days, depending on film and prior knowlege. If you can't cut it, you will quit within the first few days. Just focus on getting into the school. You can walk on anywhere. If you are good enough to walk on at a texas state or lamar, you are good enough to cut it as a walk on at any school.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm somewhat familiar with all of the schools on that list because I went to a Southland school. They are all fine institutions. But UTSA is just starting it's football program. I'm not sure when they plan to actually start playing but that may be something to look into. Texas A&M Corpus Christi doesn't have a football program. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the other schools on that list.

The thing about places like Auburn, Arkansas, UAB and Georgia Tech is that they're out of state. If you're planning to walk on that means you're not on scholarship. And if you can't afford private HS tuition, you probably can't afford out of state tuition. If cost is an issue, it's better to stay in state.

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

the big thing is that if you go to a school out of state, you're paying like 10k more a semester. Let's say you go to UTSA, make the football team..get good grades for maybe 2 years, then you decide you wanna focus on your degree and quit sports, then maybe you can transfer to UT-Austin and you're set. You are right some of the schools aren't the most prestigious, but each has a specialty or advantage.

8. dafranchise0309

You are right I should really focus on academics and try to get into the school first, I will try my best to do that and see which options will be best suitable for me.

9. dafranchise0309

Yes you are right also but I thought there was something where like I can make the team and then the see they really want me then offer me some sort of scholarship. Are there any scholarships that come AFTER enrollment at a school, that was what I was thinking too.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

you probably could, if you bust out and get all division your first year, after paying for the 1st year they could probably grant you a scholarship..but is the risk worth it, that is the question.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Do they check for HGH in college these days? Back when I was in school, I remember a few athletes used to order it from my roommate. Most of them were on the football team. I think the positives of using something like HGH far outweigh the negatives especially if it is your dream to play football at a higher level.

12. dafranchise0309

Are you suggesting I take drugs?

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Do you want to be the big man on campus or not?

14. hjg877

hjg877 Member

I would suggest if you're trying to get into a good academic school with a decent/good football program, might want to be tricky with words...as in you obviously have an interest in football, but want to get into a good school. So in your essays or interviews, perhaps it would be worthwhile to say that while you LOVE football and it is your dream to play football at the college level, you took your senior year off to focus on academics (as in, that gives you a way around saying you got suspended...which would just give the college a reason not to accept you).

My thoughts are that, unless you have a good GPA (3.5 and above) and stellar SAT/ACT scores, AND have the money/loans/scholarships to pay for a top school, don't aim for a BCS conference school.

If you're set on D1 (or Bowl Subdivision) schools immediately, look at Sunbelt schools. If you think you have the true talent for a BCS school, go to junior college.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The recommendations mentioned above are good...make a highlight tape to send to coaches, talk to your high school coach about using his connections, and I'll throw in one more fill out recruiting questionnaires.

16. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I would go to a small D3 school if I were you, get a lot of playing time, and have fun. If you are a walk on at D1 or D2 even you probably will never play. Sports should be fun imo.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Realistically slim in football and basketball.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, yes and no...Yes, I would like to know what you did to lose your eligibility your senior year...You don't have to go into the details, but I'm assuming it was serious..

No, it doesn't matter what school you got in trouble as no one on this board needs to know that...

Good luck...

19. dafranchise0309

No it doesn't matter what I did, all you need to know that it landed me in an alternative school. I am not allowed to share details anyway.

20. dafranchise0309

WOW! I cannot believe you suggest I take drugs. The situation I am in now is because I was trying to find the easier way out, take shortcuts in life. I have really learned my lessoned that the lazy man in life works twice as harder as the average man. I have never done any type of drug in my life and I defintley won't start now when I have a future ahead of me. I am trying to make the best of my situation and if I wanted to be the big man on campus, which I don't I would work my behind off the right way not shooting up in the locker room. My personailty is not the typical "jock". I am a quite and hard working guy that made one mistake and while trying to get back on track, I won't turn to the track of drugs.