1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[State of the Rockets 08-09] Everything you need to know

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blathersby, May 4, 2008.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Absolutely critical, this team is not big enough or athletic enough to seriously contend in the West. Durability is another important and often neglected issue. With two fragile stars, this team has to have considerably more supporting talent.

2. LouisianaRocket

I really hope Ely gets out of New Orleans, I would love to see him on the Rockets roster. He knows the system since Scott and Adelman run the same type of offense for the most part, and he has had some pretty decent moments on the year considering the amount of time of time he has played.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Under CBA rules the maximum increase is 8%. So his 2008-09 salary would be $2,624,400.

As a player re-signed by his existing team Hayes qualifies for maximum yearly increases of 10.5%. It's possible that he earns $1,933,750 next season.

Both player have non-guaranteed deals for 2008-09.

4. mtran

mtran Member

how big is mike millers contract? you would think that since memphis is on the market, chris wallace would look to take back expiring contracts, which we have.

5. verti89

verti89 Member

Shawm Marion...really??? Let's see it seems like he was unhappy at his last team for some reason...what was it again...? OH THATS RIGHT HE IS SELFISH...doesnt want to play 3rd fiddle to nash and stoudemire...no thanks.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Eh, Guys like Jackie Butler are living the dream right now...

Getting paid 2 million for doing NOTHING. :mad:

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But that is all he is going to get, he could have worked hard and made a lot more.....and set himself up for life........

And I agree with Solid and Jeff, athleticism on the Wings and an upgrade at the PG position are top priorities.

DD

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Of the FA's listed the two that I would target first would be:

Dsagana Diop because we need someone to back up Yao and Diop is a young athletic center that can rebound and block shots.

Corey Maggette because he is an athletic 6'6" wing player that absolutely attacks the basket and can create his own shot. He averages about 10 free throws a game. He is also a decent 3 point shooter but does not over do it. A true 3rd scoring option on the Rockets.

I don't know that the Rockets have enough to get Maggette since he will likely demand more than the MLE but we will see. Diop should be in there price range though and Houston should be an attractive possibility for him.

9. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

PG: Rafer, Brooks, Francis
    SG: T-Mac, ???, ???
    SF: Battier, Novak, Harris
    PF: Scola, Landry, Hayes
    C: Yao, ???, Woods

Get rid of Jackson. Trade Head. Deke Retires.

Draft Hibbert, and sign either Peitrus, Barnes, or bring back Boki.

This teams needs a GOOD backup wing that can defend and is a decent scorer. Peitrus and Barnes are way better defenders and athletes than Boki, but Boki is prolly a better scorer and shooter and has decent athleticism.

10. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Is it a known fact that Francis is not coming back???
    Or are just pulling things out of your butt?

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with one crazy person on the team to keep everyone on their toes. Look how well Mad Max worked for the Rockets.

Artest would be an amazing get. He would protect Yao, no one could touch him.

12. Classic

Classic Member

I was kinda my butt, however, I've heard that the dude's lungs are done. Apparently, he's a buddy of josh howard's big time in the offseason for years (how he coped with the NYC and Orlando) and that's why he was so 'out of shape' when the season started. If your lungs are burnt out, I don't see that improving. He's a shell of his formal self. Why, imo, he won't come back to be anything the Rockets can really depend on.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, even if that is the case, he is still on the books for some money......for this year.

He adds some value as an expiring contract......BJax and Francis together are almost 10 million....which could net you a good player if a team is looking to rebuild....

Toss in a pick or two and away you go.

DD

14. Classic

Classic Member

No doubt. I think this team has a lot of moveable pieces. Obtaining a good player shouldn't be too hard with the kind of contracts this team has.

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I would definitely like to see Jason Williams on the Rockets next season. The Rockets need another point guard pretty badly, and I was pretty happy with Rafer this season.

But he can't do it alone, and he can't be playing the entire game all season.

Jason Williams knows the offense, and he and Rafer can spell each other without sacrificing much, and still keep each other fresh.

The other thing we need to address is a big backup for Yao. I'm happy with Scolandry, but we need more size to help them out and to give Yao some rest to keep him healthy for the playoffs.

16. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

Just for fun, I'll add something interesting as well. How about FA European prospects?

Paragraph from DraftExpress that mentions the Houston Rockets
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Blogging-through-the-Euroleague-Final-Four--Part-Two-/

Theodoros Papaloukas has apparently not yet given up on the possibility of playing in the NBA this summer, and has even hired a new American agent to help him with that cause. He was reportedly extremely close to signing with the Milwaukee Bucks last year, but Mo Williams’ large contract didn’t leave enough money on the table for him to justify the decision. Papaloukas will be looking for a deal in the 3-year, 20 million dollar range this summer. Considering his age, the way he played this weekend and in the season as a whole, that looks like an extremely long shot. A number of teams are hot on the trail of Ramunas Siskauskas reportedly, including the San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets. That’s what the word here amongst European basketball insiders is at least.

More info on him for those interested...
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ramunas-Siskauskas-5115/

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I found the info on Loren Woods but not Mike Harris. Are you sure he has a non-guaranteed deal? I added the rest of your info to the original thread.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Siskauskas looks like a very intriguing prospect for the rockets especially if and when T-Mac gets hurt. He's a do it all type player.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He's been nicknamed in the past as the "Baltic Pippen".