1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Need Rafer Alston to be Successful

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randomdude, Apr 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. randomdude

randomdude Member

Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, Rafer Alston will once again show why he's so crucial for our team to be successful. Besides his talent, he allows T-Mac to get some rest as he doesn't have to bring up the ball as much.

Rafer also plays calm, and does a lot of little things on both sides of the court. His energy and hustle will prove to be vital in tonight's game.

2. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

yea i reckon he's important its also funny that whenever he is injured he somehow makes himself look valuable like wen he injured his groin all pgs failed to show up and now he looks so valuable in the playoffs

3. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

yes, i hate to say it, but Rafer is our SHORT term solution to our team, i would like to have him on the team next year, im 50/50 on him being a starter though

4. jlwee

jlwee Member

Rafer is important to this team only because his backups are a rookie and a career backup PG.

5. Arvid

Arvid Member

And we need TMac to set more screens for Rafer... Their defenders will be reluctant to switch on Rafer and hence there will be open driving lane for Skip to My Lou!

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Wrong

Embarrassed by Rafer

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What drives me crazy is when Rafer and TMac shoot bad threes outside the flow of the offense. It totally kills our rhythm and it's usually before we take a lead or about to lose a lead.

But we need them both so...

8. MaxwellsTemper

Why do you think other team's starters are important to their teams??? Because they are the best at their position on their team... sorta like Rafer. Straight hating. Give the man his props.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we need EVERY PLAYER to be successful. rafer is our starter. losing any starter is never good.

hell we're still missing another starter. but houston is as mentally strong as any team i have ever seen.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Like Kenny, I was really impressed by the knowledge Rafer was displaying in his interviews.

His streaky shooting is frustrating, but we sure as hell need him to run this team on the floor.

He was one of the big differences tonight.

11. Htown57

Htown57 Member

The most important statistical contribution of Rafer's return

The most important statistical contribution of Rafer's return

L. Head--DNP Coach's Decision

In all seriousness, Rick's rotation was great tonight. The Alston comeback allowed allowed Jackson to act as a bench scorer, the role he's most comfortable in. I can't overstate the importance of keeping the game tight when T-mac is out--we were missing that the last couple games because luther just wasn't getting it done. Jackson's offense off the bench means more rest for Tmac and less responsibility when he is in the game, keeping him fresh for a block, a huge rebound, and a couple big jumpers in the fourth. Rafer's presence makes this rotation work.

Bravo boys.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I would agree with this.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Only thing is...........Jackson's efficiency and effectiveness goes down in the 2nd half. He's just too old. Adelman needs to give him his minutes in the first half and then give Brooks those minutes in the 2nd half.

14. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Get a 3rd weapon and keep Rafer, if we didn't have to rely on his shooting so much as the 3rd option he'd be the perfect point guard for this team. Despite some of his dumb shots he's obviously knowledgeable about the game, and he fired up McGrady when he tore into him for his **** defense.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Spot on.

It should be obvious to all now that we are a VERY different team with Rafer at the point... and it's not just because he's our starter.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

landry's lost tooth is the key baby!

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

i couldn't agree more with this thread...

but it's not his offense its the fact that he stays in front of Deron Williams and makes him take tough shot. Also, this means that Bjax can play backup SG and we don't have to play Head. Its a big difference because when we can play only our productive players.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Finally you get to say that to someone rather than having it said to you. Good to see you back posting!

I get a kick out of people who claim Rafer doesn't need to shoot well, or that his defense is the key, or that he is the only one that can "run the show".... then they try to post gotchas after Rafer has a great shooting night.

Mad, mad, mad, mad props to Rafer tonight for what he did shooting the ball ... that is exactly what the Rockets need. Had Rafer not shot well tonight, we lose. He deserves a ton of credit. Unfortunately we don't get it that often, and that's just the reality no matter how many "hater" claims fly at the people who point it out.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I agree Clutch, some of his shots that he made surprised me. I wish he could always shoot like that.....well, at least his floaters and layups.

20. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Yea there are a bunch of tards on here that dont see Rafers true value.

Even after this tremendous season.

They wanted to trade him in the offseason.

They were jumping for joy when Mike James and Steve Francis returned to the Rockets.

They think Bobby Jackson or Aaron Brooks should be starting over Rafer.

When we were down 0-2 they were already making trade threads.

I said it before and I will say it again,
    He's no superstar, but
    Rafer is the best starting point guard on this roster.
    Bobby Jackson is way more impactful off the bench.
    Brooks has a bright future, but still has a way to go before he touches the other two.

'I will tell you whos the best...Rafer' - T-Mac
    Case Closed.
    Respect Rafer! He is the reason we won this game.