1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Los Angeles's Proposed NFL Stadium

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Apr 20, 2008.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Pretty interesting stuff...the video is pretty cool.

Interesting tidbits:

- The stadium is going to be built into a hill.
    - There's a movie theatre in there?
    - I'm not from Cali but people familiar with the area say that it will take 2 hours to get to the stadium from L.A.

http://losangelesfootballstadium.com/stadium

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Are they reaching for an existing team? Or expansion? The NFL does not need more teams. The depth has become so weak.

3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I think they are reaching for a team...and quite frankly, if I'm the owner of a team like and that phenomenal complex is being built I would not hesitate to move to LA.

However, how dumb is this? The stadium is suffering from major overkill.

[​IMG]

Who is going to watch a movie while at a football game?

4. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I've never gone anywhere in LA that it took less than 2 hours to get to. Probably the reason they don't have a team. Driving there is hell.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Terrible location. Most teams are trying to relocate centrally. This stadium is almost all the way out to Chino, which is nowhere near LA.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The same people who watches the game on TV in a bar INSIDE a stadium/arena.

Although I do admit, a movie theater seems to be stretching it. Because you can't socialize or do other "business" stuff while watching a movie.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You could maybe play another game on that movie screen. Especially one that effects standings and is going on simultaneously. But I doubt it happens. They could premiere Transformers 3, Terminator 4, or Star Wars 7 on it.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm glad I'm not a football fan living in LA.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yeah, it took me over 2 hours to get there from LAX a couple of times, but most times it wouldn't take nearly that long.

And I thought it odd about a Cabelas, until I realized they were practically sticking it out in the country. :)

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Isn't this in an area where the ocean breeze does not reach and consequently suffers from inversions that pack in the smog?

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's my biggest question, the only thing I can think of is that the theatre will be open all the time to the public. The whole area around the stadium looks more functionable for other events or a weekend hangout.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think they are putting it there to get fans from both LA and Orange County Area. That's the only reason you put that thing way out there.

I don't know about it being 2 hours away but with LA traffic people are going to have to leave at 4 AM to make it in time to Tailgate.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Say your team is down by 4 touchdowns starting the third quarter. I might be inclined to go watch a movie.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

City of Industry? Well its centrally located...beside that there's hardly anyone who'd want to rent out any hotels there for a stay. A movie theater might be the only attraction.

Sunday morning traffic is less than usual I suppose...and driving from LA to there might not be that bad. That stretch of highway from south Orange County to the 60 during rush hour though is just dreadful.

During weekdays between 4pm and 6pm I used to drive where the "57" is on the map to nearby Walnut. The worst days it took me an HOUR AND A HALF to get there! Back roads were just as bad. I haaaaaated that drive.
    Thursday night games would suck for Orange County people.
    [​IMG]

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Though people want to, don't forget about those San Bernardino and Riverside folks to the east ;)

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

So what happens if an earthquake hits? Would it matter if half the stadium is built into a hill?

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why can't they have a stadium in Long Beach?
    [​IMG]

18. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Cause there's so much drama.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think any NFL owner will move into a stadium where he doesn't control all the revenue streams. The guy that's dreaming this dream will have to buy a team too I think. I guess he could do a minority partnership deal in exchange for some stadium equity.

About the movie theater....if you pay for all that infrastructure with private money you would want to maximize your user days, certainly more than the 10 days of football. Like in Houston, the rodeo has a much larger economic effect on Reliant than the Texans do. It would have never been built without the rodeo.

Wow, architectural rendering has come a long way with computer graphics.
    Back in the stone age, it was a huge jump just to get to use spray paint on our hand drawn ink representations. It looked so much better than markers.

I'd bet they got SONY to pay for the computerized graphics or used a SONY subsidiary in exchange for plastering all that advertising in there.

Maybe you go to a movie after the game to let the parking lot clear out.

I hate it when your exit takes as long as the game did. (Toyota Center?)

#19 Dubious, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers move north. They want a new stadium and have gotten no where with the city and county of San Diego. They could have opted out after this past season but chose to continue to work with San Diego to stay close to home.