1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Number for the Rockets against West Playoff Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

8 in front of us?

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

There are 8 teams that we haven't clinched over yet. Their Magic Numbers are still above zero. Hence we currently have only clinched the #9 Seed, even though we are currently #3 in the standings.

3. ScriboErgoSum

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp; Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number Diff</B>
    Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;26-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Hornets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-21&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;10-5&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;31-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;14</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-22&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;30-13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-25&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;27-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-23&nbsp;&nbsp;1-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;25-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-23&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;25-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;45-26&nbsp;&nbsp;1-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;27-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-27&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-28&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;24-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;38-34&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;Extinguished</B>
    Kings&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;31-39&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;14-27&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Deposed</B>

* Indicates that the Tie Break is final and cannot be changed due to the outcomes of upcoming games. The Magic Numbers are calculated on an assumption that we will lose the Tie Break unless it's already been clinched. If we clinch a Tie Break, that will drop the Magic Number 1 point.

<B>Clinched #9 Seed</B>

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>March 25</B>.

I had hopes for awhile that there were going to a bunch of upsets tonight, but it turned out not be the case. The Hornets, Spurs, Jazz, and Mavs all pulled out expected victories.

Rockets get an easy home game tomorrow against the Wolves. They really need to focus on the Wolves and not be thinking about 3 days off and playing the Spurs on Sunday. Constant Vigilance!

Also on tap for Wednesday: Suns at Celtics, Hornets at Cavs, Clippers at Spurs, Bobcats at Lakers

4. Astockmarketgod

wow tough conference..... needing 50+ wins just to make the playoffs...

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No kidding. Sacto has 31 wins. Good enough for 8th place in the East. They are eliminated in the West.

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

There are quite a few games remaining that West teams will play each others. so I think a couple teams will make the playoff with 47-48 wins.

7. ScriboErgoSum

And Denver would have home court in the East but are the #9 Seed in the West.

Nice sig. Good to see some Latin on the board.

From the Darkness, Light.

8. ScriboErgoSum

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp; Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number Diff</B>
    Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;27-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Hornets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-21&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;10-5&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;31-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;30-13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-25&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;27-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;26-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;11</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-24&nbsp;&nbsp;1-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;25-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;45-26&nbsp;&nbsp;1-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;27-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-27&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-28&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;24-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;38-34&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;Extinguished</B>
    Kings&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;32-39&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;15-27&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Deposed</B>

* Indicates that the Tie Break is final and cannot be changed due to the outcomes of upcoming games. The Magic Numbers are calculated on an assumption that we will lose the Tie Break unless it's already been clinched. If we clinch a Tie Break, that will drop the Magic Number 1 point.

<B>Clinched #9 Seed</B>

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>March 26</B>.

Another expected win for the Rockets over a subpar team, but we need to take care of business against these teams down the stretch. All Magic Numbers drop 1.

The Bobcats stunned the Lakers (Kobe got ejected :eek: ), dropping their Magic Number an additional point and moving the Rockets into the #2 position (for today) in the Western Conference. Boston continued its beatdown on Western Conference Contenders by laying the smack on the Suns, dropping their Magic Number an additional point.

Hornets and Cavs went back and forth, but David West’s 17-footer gave New Orleans a 1 point victory. The Spurs picked up their fifth win in a row against the hapless Clippers.

Now the Rockets get a well-earned three days off before their HUGE matchup against the Spurs with the Tie Break awarded to the winner. During their siesta, there are a good number of tough games for Western Conference Contenders, so Magic Numbers will be dropping while the Rockets are resting.

On tap for Thursday: Mavs at Nuggets, Blazers at Warriors

9. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Nice work scribo, very nice. When do you think we'll finally clinch a playoff berth though?

Also, I'm afraid I don't do Latin, but lots of people in my year do (I'm still in high school).

10. ScriboErgoSum

I think we clinch it by the end of next weekend. Warriors, Mavericks, and Nuggets have a rough schedule, including playing each other multiple times. We have @Spurs, @Kings, @Blazers, @Sonics. 3 Rocket wins plus some losses from one of those teams should do the trick.

Take Latin if you can. It's extremely helpful for picking up other languages (French, Spanish, Italian) down the road, and it also helps increase your English vocabulary quite a bit through all the Latin derivatives. It probably bumped my SAT 80-120 points, but that was a while back.

11. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

72 games into the season with the top team at 0.700 and still NObody clinched a playoff seed????????? I am afraid this may go on for a few more years and Portland will be in the playoff picture from next year!

:eek:

BTW, this thread should be a sticky.

#91 ccjj, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Things should speed up next week. Now it is all about seeding and our first round match-up. We are pretty much in the playoffs. The 8th seed is GS and they would have to sweep all their games against non contenders and we would have to lose all of our games against contenders- plus they would need to finish 6-1 in these games (contenders) @ Denver, H-Dallas, @ SA, @ Dallas, @ NO, H- Denver, @ Phoenix.

And we would need to finish 3-3 in these games (non-contenders) @ Sac, @Portland, @Seattle, @Clippers, H Seattle, H Clippers

All of that would have to happen or some other freakish combination for us to be bumped out.

That 7 magic number on GS is just about assured for the Rockets. Forget Denver.

We should beat Portland, Seattle twice and Clippers twice- @ Sac is a toss-up.

I think our best matchups in the first round are Dallas, Utah and SA in that order.

Our worst match ups are Phoenix, New Orleans, LA, GS in that order.

I would not want to start out against an improving Phoenix team or New Orleans or LA if Gasol plays because they give us fits with Amare/Nash, West/Paul and Gasol/Kobe.

GS is so streaky I think they are a very dangerous first round draw also.

Dallas seams to be struggling with chemistry and I think they are questioning themselves.

Utah is tough, but I think Scola/Landry will really help with dealing with Boozer and SA can be had if MGinobli/Parker can be slowed by some good defense, Duncan usually doesn't carry the team offensively and I think Deke and Chuck can keep him around 20 pts.

There are no easy series in the west.

13. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

You do realize your analysis is about getting bumped out of the Top 7, right? Getting passed by Phoenix, Dallas, and Golden State would put the Rockets at the #8 seed, still in the playoffs.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think that was what he was trying to say. We are virtually a lock to make the playoffs. Since I believe he was responding to the poster who asked when we would definitely in the playoffs.

15. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

i second that notion, sticky icky, this is good stuff, thanks.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Yes, just looking at schedules I think we are definate lock to make the playoffs at this time and we are going to find it very interesting who we play in the first round.

It may not be settled until the last day of the season as tightly packed as everyone is staying.

This is exciting to me.

I hope we when 3 out of the next 4, cause that will really put us in position to stay with the home court, especially with home games against Seattle and Clippers towards the end.

17. ScriboErgoSum

I think this definitely goes until the last week of the season to sort itself completely out. Everyone's bunched so tightly (1-6, 7-9) that it's impossible to figure out where everyone winds up, especially with all the Head to Head matchups left. Losing one of those can drop a team a few spots in the standings.

If we win our easier games (@Kings, @Blazers, @Sonics, @Clippers, Sonics, Clippers) that would drop all Magic Number 6, and we'd probably only need to win 1 or 2 of our tough games (@Spurs, Suns, @Nuggets, @Jazz) to get home court. Of course, we're fighting for home court over the Suns, Spurs, and Jazz and get to play all 3 of those teams. A victory over any of those teams clinches a Tie Break (assuming our Conference Record stays better than the Suns) and drops their Magic Number 3. There are just too many permutations right now. Head...going...to...explode.

I'll update my Race for the #1 Seed post on Monday. Hopefully, some of this will be slightly clearer then.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Here's a question:

What's more important, top 4 seed (or 5, with home court advantage with Utah being worse), or matchup?

I say matchup, especially considering we lost last year with the home court advantage. Although a top 2 seed would be nice, because then you have home court for 2 series. But I'd almost rather slip to a non-home court advantage seed to play a more favorable matchup then play a bad matchup in the first round.

Of course, all matchups are tough. I think matchups, in order of teams I wouldn't mind the Rockets getting in the first round:

1. Dallas
    2. Golden State
    3. New Orleans
    4. Lakers
    5. Spurs
    6. Jazz
    7. Suns

That would be completely different if Yao was healthy. Dallas was soft, now they're soft, injured and beaten down mentally. With Yao, I might actually want to avoid Golden State, without, we are better at matching their speed and their inside play sucks. NO is great, but young and inexperienced, and even with West healthy, we seem to matchup okay with them. Lakers are good, and better with Gasol, but I think we also match up well against them, especially because they are so porous defensively. Final 3 were a toss up. It'd be great to play and beat the Jazz, but the Deron/Boozer combo is still so devastating. The Spurs have all that experience and can just turn it on. When was the last time they lost in the first round? Seems like never. And the Suns are porous defensively, but without Yao, Shaq and Amare are too much. Plus, I think I'd throw up watching Amare parade to the FT line that series....

19. ScriboErgoSum

Who we play is extremely important, but I'd rather have home court than not.

I'm hoping for the Nuggets, Jazz, or the Mavericks (hopefully with no Dirk) in the first round. That means the #5 seed (Jazz will be the #4 seed) or possibly the #2 seed (Good luck guessing how 7-9 plays out in the West) to draw one of those matches.

The #3 seed concerns me a bit because that will likely draw the Suns or Spurs at #6.

20. ScriboErgoSum

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp;&nbsp;Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number Diff</B>

&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;Hornets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-21&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;10-5&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;31-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;27-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;30-13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-25&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;27-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;26-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;11</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-24&nbsp;&nbsp;1-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;25-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;45-27&nbsp;&nbsp;1-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;27-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;44-27&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;24-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;44-28&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;25-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    10&nbsp;&nbsp;Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;38-35&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-21&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;Extinguished</B>

<B>Clinched #9 Seed</B>

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>March 27</B>.

I modified the look of the Magic Number chart a bit tonight. Teams are now numbered to help look at possible Playoff matchups. I also dropped the Rockets into the mix so it’s easier to see where they stand in the pack as well as potential first round opponents. They are in bold red. As Tree Rollins suggested, I’m going to drop teams from the list once they are officially eliminated from the Playoffs. With Nugget and Warrior victories tonight, the Kings are officially eliminated from the playoffs.

Light evening of games for the Western Conference, but the Mavericks kicked off their Dirk-less freefall by getting destroyed by the Nuggets in the second half. That loss drops the Mav’s Magic Number 1. It also gave the Tie Break to the Nuggets over Dallas. I think we’ll be knocking Dallas out before we overtake the Warriors or Nuggets.

Warriors also dominated in the second half and beat up the Roy-less Blazers.

On tap for Friday: Suns at 76ers, Hornets at Celtics, Wolves at Spurs, Clippers at Jazz, Grizzlies at Lakers