1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Breaking down the Wild West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Mar 26, 2008.

1. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

we got a chance against anybody...except Phoenix. With its size, Shaq and Amare will rip our front line a new one.

But that said, we got a good frontline. it's been common knowledge for recent years that we're considered weak, soft, small up front.

but i like the sound of Scola, Landry, Hayes, Harris...that's a solid sounding frontline. still kinda small. but definitely not weak or soft anymore. those are guys are the key, if they can play up to their potentials, we can do damage upon others. except the Suns. but who knows.

2. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

We won't receive any favorite votes for the playoffs. So we just need to roll with it. Until we prove we can handle the low post in the playoffs against a dominate low post team (SA, BOS, PHX) it won't change. Our shooting would have to be lights out all the time for it to change, and our shooting isn't lights out all the time. Our FT% is terrible, and in the playoffs you are at the line a lot more than the regular season.

SO BE IT! That is why we play the games.

3. cson

cson Contributing Member

bingo, bingo!

4. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

You know what I love? How spot-on the whole article is. Without Yao, the Rockets AREN'T that good. They DO lack talent. Look at every other playoff contender in the West's best and second best player:
    denVAR: Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson (Marcus Camby deserves to be mentioned)
    Golden State: Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson
    dallas: Jason Kidd, Josh Howard (probably won't make the playoffs)
    Phoenix: Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire
    San Antonio: Tim Duncan, Manu GiNObli (Tony Parker)
    Ootah: Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer
    Los Angeles: Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol
    New Orleans: Chris Paul, David West
    Houston: Tracy McGrady, ????? ??????
    Who? Are you actually suggesting Rafer Alston? Do you actually expect the Rockets to go very far relying on the talent of Rafer Alston? Well, who else? When Rafer Alston, Luis Scola, Shane Battier, Dikembe Mutombo, and Carl Landry are candidates for the second best player on your team, you're in trouble.
    It's already been proven that T-Mac can't win a playoff series by himself. The second best player on your team HAS to fill a major scoring or defensive role in the playoffs.
    And, I'm sorry, chemistry is not a player (though it's easily the Rockets' biggest strength and why I see them going deeep [the three e's are not a typo] into the playoffs next season). If I was a betting man (and I am), I wouldn't bet on the Rockets this season (and I'm not).

Still, I've been known to be wrong from time to time in the past, and I certainly hope I am now.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The thing is, even with T-mac's lack of success in the playoffs the past two trips with Houston, both those times he STILL had a sub-par supporting cast compared to those of his opponents and, more importantly, this year's team. I'm not talking about Yao, I'm talking about ????? and ?????. 2005 that was Sura, Wesley, Barry. 2007 that was Rafer, Battier, Hayes, Juwanathan.

This year? Everyone from last year minus Juwan (which is like plus something, anything, really) with the additions of Scola, Landry, and Bobby Jackson to take minutes away from Rafer and in doing so improve Rafer's efficiency too. In fact, I can remember this team winning more times with T-Mac sucking than I can with him carrying us. It will be interesting to see how we do in the playoffs. We'll almost certainly be dogs in any matchup, but I do not expect us to fold like lawn chairs by any means.

6. luisantonio1014

Simmons- the ultimate Rocket hater.

And he thinks the Lakers will win the championship against the Celtics. HILARIOUS!!!

7. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

eggzacklee. first he says we have no chance in the playoffs because we'll get beat by "any team with size," and then immediately contradicts himself with "we don't miss yao ming." :confused: :confused: :confused:

can't take him all that seriously, but fun reading.

8. battousai

battousai Member

The only bone i got to pick with him is that he thinks we won 22 games due to luck.

Mavs without Dirk is luck to us? how about we got no Yao and no landry? Those 22 games was no flunt and we won everyone one of them fair and square.

Lets put it this way, we got robbed because of Yao's injury. With full Yao we could still be winning right now. We may even get the chance to bypass 33 winning records set by lakers.

everything else he said was ok. Spurs is a dangerous team in a playoffs setting because of their coaching staff. pop adjust to his opponents well and exploit them. when u are playing a team in a 7 games series u will get to know them well. Ask the mavs how did the warriors exploited them.

playing Lakers in the first round would be a blessing in disguise. why? beause lakers will be the westest in the first round. Byrum returns after few months off will be shaky and drained. Same thing with Gasol which he has been having problems in playoffs. if we can contain everyone else we can beat the lakers. once bryum and gasol sets in from injuries, they are dangerous.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

he didnt say it was just luck. he listed a ton of factors. it's like winning a ring. you have to be lucky to win it. the ball has to bounce your way. That's just how it is. You have to be good as well. You can't deny that just about everything besides the injury went our way during the streak. Given our predicament of not having Yao, it was lucky that the playing field was levelled in several key games. I'm sure the '72 lakers had some breaks as well.

I find that Simmons is the one writer who I usually agree with about basketball. He's one of the only guys pumping cp3 for mvp, which i agree with. He watches more basketball than probably anyone in the media.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

The "super easy schedule" is a lame excuse and I still cannot believe people are using it.

No NBA team is an automatic win. Just look at what the Bobcats did to the Lakers...