1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[holy moly] Heath Ledger found dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Well, 2nd best next to Halle getting it doggy style.

I had forgotten he was in that. Good call and you're right...he was good in that.

2. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

TMZ has learned Heath Ledger was sick with pneumonia when he died today in NY.

Heath's family have also contact TMZ saying the police have told them it was completely accidental and the suicide buzz is the most devastating thing to them.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I would think the opposite, not to mention he was supposed to be in a sequel. So taking the cynical view that business is #1 on their minds right now, I still think this is a huge hit to them as now they have to find a way to market this movie where the biggest buzz coming from it was the performance by a now dead actor.

4. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

They are regulated. Ambien is a controlled substance.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The guy had it all...

money
    looks
    fame
    hot ex-fiancee
    kid

Threw it all away.

6. g1184

g1184 Member

Assuming it wasn't an accident.

7. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

Couldn't it have been Katie Holmes or Britney Spears instead of Heath Ledger? That would not have hurt my feelings.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Amy Winehouse just did a lifetimes worth of hard drugs in one party and she still walks the earth (to rehab right after the video came out).

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The early report sounds like he ODed...IMO that is not an accident.

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Hmm I didn't know that. Do you need a prescription to get it cus my friend seems to get it with ease..?

11. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

i agree. i have insomnia and have been prescribed to ambien before. i never liked it because it made me completely dead the next day and i wouldn't remember ANYTHING from the 10 hours after i took it and my memory seemed disconnected the following day. just from experience, i would say that if ambien was the only thing in his system then it was definitely not an accident. the only way i see it being an accident is if it was combined with alcohol. ambien (aka zolpidem) is a benzodiazepine which are greatly augmented when taken with alcohol.

i know this is purely conjecture, but knowing that he had pneumonia would definitely make him vulnerable to poisoning by anything. i'm not sure how much more dangerous taking a few too many ambien is on an empty immune system than normally. i guess we wait for the toxicology report.

12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

yes you need a prescription for all controlled substances. they are 'substances with high likelihood for dependency'. this includes illicit drugs and prescriptions.

13. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Heath's family have just read a statement in Perth, Australia.

Described the shock from the family and thanked for all the well wishes from all over the world. Heath was an inspiration to them and was a great father to Matilda. Have requested the media let them grieve in peace.

The family only found out 4 hours or so ago.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Prescription pills are as available as weed is. I've known several people, including my own past employees, who take sleeping/pain pills recreationally and have no problem finding them w/out prescriptions. I would take a wild guess that recreational pill use equals or surpasses weed now. It's seriously mainstream. You'd be surprised how many older people (50+) abuse them.

It's been a serious problem for us, half the people we've hired (women ages 50+) have come in frequently doped up on pills (thinking we won't notice), barely able to put together sentences and literally falling asleep on the job. The really annoying thing is they tell us how 'sick' they are and it's strictly for medicinal use despite the fact they haven't seen a doctor in months. We always hear the line 'Well I can't help it if I'm frequently sick'. Yeah, uh huh. Yet you call in sick the same day every single week. [/end rant...didn't mean to imply Heath was one of these people]

It's still pretty early on the details in Ledger's case. There's probably more details to be released. Sounds like he may have taken a sleeping pill on top of his pneumonia and underestimated his condition along w/ the strong effects of a sleeping pill on a weakened body.

I never watched any of his movies (maybe bits and pieces here and there), but I have to applaud him for taking unconventional roles and trying different things along w/ the more mainstream flicks he was in.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

get out of my thread.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Really enjoyed him in Knight's Tale. I guess that would make the trio Renfro, Ledger and ... Suzanne Pleshette?

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Horrible, horrible news. Brad Renfro was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, but this came out of nowhere.

Apparently he completed post-production on The Dark Knight, so we'll at least have his last performance to remember him by. It's been rumored(no spoilers here, just speculation) for a while now that The Joker was supposed to survive into the third film, so we'll see how Nolan and Co. handle that.

18. Caboose

Caboose Member

all you have to do is go to your doctor, tell him/her you have trouble sleeping, and you'll be given a prescription for ambien or lunesta. I have narcolepsy and have taken ambien, lunesta, and sonata (sonata is just intended to say in the body for 4 hours so it sucks). I wouldn't say, at least for me, that any of them are addicting at all, but I guess for others it could be.

I doubt that ambien could really kill you thought, unless you took a **** load of it, or took it with hardcore drugs already in your system.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

just a little naive, aren't we?

;)

but yeah, you can get just about any prescription drug you want on the "streets." ambiens are pretty popualr.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

who the hell gets pneumonia nowadays?