1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should Aaron Brooks Start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Dec 28, 2007.

Tags:
?

Not considering injuries, how likely will Brooks earn starting PG duties this season?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2008.
  1. Very Likely

12.9%
  2. Possibly

43.6%
  3. Unlikely

43.6%
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, Rafer is like the greatest thing on this side of Gary Payton....

2. fanwq

fanwq Member

Give him the chance.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think people who comment on AB's defense just look at his size and expect every PG in the league to post him up...not too many PGs have post up skills

I thought he played good D tonight. I think he lost his man and the guy hit a wide open 3 but not too many glaring screw ups.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto.

To maximize Rafer's contribution, he should stay the starter. If AB keeps up the solid play, Rafer can be pulled early when he stinks up the joint. If Rafer is on his game, keep AB's minutes down a bit since he's just a rookie. We shouldn't throw him into the fire just yet.

In comparing AB to Sam Cassell, remember that Sam didn't do hardly anything until the 2nd half of the season, and even then he grew into his role and peaked late.

Long term, I'm not sold AB will ever be a starting caliber PG. It won't happen unless he becomes so great on offense that it overcomes his worse than pathetic defense. Right now, he is a perfect change of pace off the bench who is still figuring out what he's capable of.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Woah, the sky must be falling......we are in agreement here.

:D

DD

6. MeatAndPotatoes

or maybe he just stands straight and lets them knock him over collecting the charge?

7. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Brooks is the only good draft after Yao if you call Yao a good draft.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Could you point out AB's defense snafus in tonight's game cause I thought he played pretty good D.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brooks should be starting sometime around the break IMO.

The team runs smoother when he's in there and getting it.There is no doubt that he is much more talented than Rafer.He just needs time to let the vet rules play out.....just a matter of time.

The catch is that RA doesn't have the luxury of waiting too long.Brooks is as advertised and should be a great PG in this League for a long time.

We need him in there playing plenty of minutes as we have injury problems.In the process he develops and is ready to kick tail at the end of the year.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

imagine that :D

but VMac still su...ahh nevermind :p

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

yeah saw him take a charge also tonight

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Hells to the no Brooks shouldn't start.

Look at it this way. Adelman puts Brooks in when theres a favorable matchup (oppsing PG is small). He puts Rafer in whenever Brooks is getting owned defensively, which will happen more often than not. Rafer plays regardless of the opposing PG's size. This is why he's our most consistent and reliable PG. He'll be starting and Brooks will come off the bench with decent minutes.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

more importantly he needs to close games.

14. MeatAndPotatoes

i believe that was against Mike Miller too, who is the equivalent of like 5 AB's. I'm keeping an eye out for his rebounding abilities. He's said to be one of those guys who will sneak inside the paint and snatch a board from their center, and he has great judgment expecting where the ball will go, by the way it hits the rim.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not seeing what other people are seeing when they say he's getting "owned" defensively. He'll make rookie mistakes now and then, but he hasn't been the liability people are portraying him as. Not to my eyes, anyways.

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Glaringly poor AB defense tonight:

(off the top of my head)

Lost Lowry (wasnt even a screen/traffic to fight thru) who got wide open for a 3.

Got outpositioned on a rebound by Lowry(only two guys in the area for the rebound) who put the ball back in for 2.

That being said, I think his rotations are probably a bit off but his on ball defense(especially out front) has been as good or better than Rafer.

Brooks should not start yet. But him keeping Rafer under 30 minutes per game is a good thing.

17. blender

blender Member

I've really liked how smart and aggressive Brooks has been as our backup PG. Most of his passes have been spot on as well.
    I did notice, however, in the very limited minutes I've seen him playing with McGrady, his aggressiveness level tended to drop. He did a lot of bringing up the ball and dumping it to T-Mac, kind of like what Alston does. I don't know if this the way the play is set up or just his deference to the Main Man.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it is people defering too much to Tmac.....

DD

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Brooks was getting outrebounded by Lowry. there were like two times he went uncontested for putbacks.

20. zong

zong Member

Brooks plays better defense than Head even right now, and should be better as the season goes, but Head has not improved his defense much, would be a problem when it comes to the playoff.