1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IT'S TIME! To bring JVG back!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan11, Dec 20, 2007.

1. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Les Alexander needs to be a man, admit he made a HUGE mistake, and get JVG back here ASAP!

You can say Van Gundy's style was boring all you want, but the bottom line was this team had an identity, all the players respected him (except fat Bonzi and who cares), and win or lose they played HARD every night.

Rick Adelman has no clue what he's doing with this team. The rotation changes every game, we have no identity offensively or defensively, and his laid back coaching style is allowing players to loaf. Yes I know it takes some time to adjust to a new system, but what bothers me is the lack of effort I see on the court every game. It's like they just go through the motions, and if things aren't there they just stand around and do nothing.

I say fire Adelman, trade Bonzi for whatever we can get for him since he won't be happy, and get JVG back!

It's obvious now this team is NOT the most talented, but at least JVG got maximum effort out of the players. You look up and down the roster and I'll sum up each player in one or two words.

Yao - soft / slow
    Tmac - fragile / lazy
    Battier - average
    Hayes - over achiever
    Rafer - horrid shooter
    Scola - passionate (we need more players like him!)
    James - cocky
    Francis - washed up
    Bonzi - Ahole
    Snyder - under utilized
    Head - one dimensional
    Deke - OLD

And no this is not just to bash the team, this is just the way I have seen the Rockets play through the first quarter of the season. It really pains me to say this actually, I LOVE the Rockets and have been a die hard fan my whole life!

But to me it's obvious this just isn't working. Last year we were 2 minutes away from beating the Jazz, and that was without James, Scola, or Francis. If you give JVG those 3 pieces you don't think we'd be better this year?

2. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I'd love for this to happen, but I don't think it's realistic. I wish it could be though.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What part of 1st round exits do you VG fanatics continue to struggle with? They built a team of standstill spotup shooters and eliminated all the "knuckeheads"...and still went out.

It may someday be time for a chage...but going backwards is flat out stupid. VG wants to play slow basketball in a league favoring the offense. Get over him and get your dosage on ESPN.

4. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

i wish. i was one of the few JVG supporters last year, through-and-through. no matter how ugly JVG-ball is, defense wins championships (and bad shooting loses 'em).

that being said, i don't think we needed another thread about this. there are plenty of other relevant threads where you could've given your thoughts. it seems that posters decide to start another thread just to make sure their post will get read, as opposed to posting in an existing thread at the risk that it will get lost amidst the scrolling.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

JVG wouldn't come back if Les was on his knees. Jeff got way too much pride. He tried to tell Les that this team was not a phoenix style run-and-gun team and look what is happening now. JVG is probably laughing his ass off saying, "I TOLD YOU SO. I TOLD YOU SO."

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

You just listed all the huge problems with the roster. What's the point in bringing Van Gundy back to coach such a flawed team? The result is just going to be the same. Win 50 games beating up on the bad teams. Lose in the first round. Coaching was not the problem when Van Gundy was here. It's not the main problem now. This roster is just horribly assembled.

7. zong

zong Member

A terrible thread, Yao is soft, and slow, Tmac is...., so on, so on. Then the rox should move into NBDL.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only if V-Span comes with him.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

that made me smile

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I agree. I hate it when posters start a thread that has been posted numerous times before just so that they can have their posts read. Clutters the board.

I was a JVG supporter, but the guy didn't get us out of the first round. I was against the Adelman hire, as I said countless times that he wasn't a better coach or the right fit, but JVG had his chance and couldn't get us out of the first round.

Were we better with JVG than now? Yes. Is JVG the right coach? I don't think so. Who is? I don't know

11. DaDream

DaDream Member

JVG is laughing in his grave!

12. crazy_script

crazy_script Member

This can not be happened , or the rocket manager level guys will be a joke . :D

13. ROF

ROF Member

Grave?

What are you smokin? You should knock on wood.

Speaking of JVG. What do you guys think is actually reasonable to get JVG back.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adelman deserves a full season to see what progress he can make. And he'll get it.

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but haven't we already seen multiple threads about "FIRE ADELMAN!!" or "REHIRE JVG?" Why in the world did you think we needed another one... and after every game? Do you even READ the GARM? Any of you?

And anyway, do you really think after the way they parted ways that there's even a remote possibility of reconciliation? A rational thinking person would say "what a stupid question!"

16. luisantonio1014

At least last year's team had enough heart to take the jazz to 7 games. This year's team has no heart. With JVG, they would have more heart. Imagine last years team with this year's new players and no Adelman.

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

Absolutely no.

18. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

at least we got to the playoffs with JVG...i would take that this year...

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Won't happen, can't happen. Let this die. If you want a return to JVG coaching, start pleading for Larry Brown to come to town.

I don't think Jeff was going to get us a ring, but it's clear his system was much better for this cast.

Personally, I think we're beyond the point where coaching will determine whether we can contend or not. Only a guy like Phil Jackson might have a crack with our tandem.

Evan

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Les: Would you consider coming back Jeff?
    JVG: You will be ISOed by me!