1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Firefly] The cast is scattered all over TV land

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VesceySux, Dec 12, 2007.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I was just thinking today about what the cast of Firefly is up to. It seems most of them are still on TV in some form or fashion:

Nathan Fillion (Mal): Desperate Housewives
    Gina Torres (Zoe): Standoff (did it get canceled?)
    Adam Baldwin (Jayne): Chuck
    Summer Glau (River): Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
    Jewel Staite (Kaylee): Stargate: Atlantis
    Morena Baccarin (Inara): Heartland

It seems the only ones not on TV now are Ron Glass (Book), Sean Maher (Simon), and Alan Tudyk (Wash). (Tudyk has done a bunch of movies, though.) Still, 6 out of 9 (66%) Firefly characters are now regulars on other TV shows. I just found that interesting.

Sorry, I've got no real point to this thread. Just thought I'd share...

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Might as well use this opportunity to dust off a Firefly thought that wasn't important enough to dig for the original thread:

I remember the first time I saw the mechanic character, I thought of her as Space-Willow. Same personality, and girl-next-door looks. And when I saw the doctor character, the only thing I could think of was Space-Xander, with his boyish features. Seems like Joss Whedon really has a type when it comes to casting/writing characters.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The denizens of the Buffyverse are doing well too:
    Alyson Hannigan - How I Met Your Mother
    David Boreanaz - Bones
    Danny Strong and Tom Lenk have done some work in short films (if you'll pardon the pun). Tom Lenk was also in a really bad vampire movie called the Thirst. Everyone should watch Losing Lois Lane on youtube though. It is funny, especially the parts with Danny Strong as Robin.
    Sarah Michelle Gellar is going to be Alice in Alice (which is based on American McGee's Alice).
    Michelle Trachtenburg is in a new TV pilot and did voice work on Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Eliza Dushku has been in a few things recently, including a guest appearance on Ugly Betty and has some movies coming out.
    James Marsters had a few Smallville episodes and is apparently going to be in a Dragonball Z movie.
    Seth Green of course has his own show - Robot Chicken
    DB Woodside played president Wayne Palmer on 24.
    If you want to see some really bad movies though, watch pretty much anything with Nicholas Brendon in it (actually Psycho Beach Party was ok), the guy cannot pick a script to save his life, and there are big clues like the fact that a movie is about an evil pinata.
    In terms of personality, I would say Wash is closer to Xander, though even that is a stretch. Also, the doctor is less goofy looking than Xander. The Space-willow comparison was better, especially when compared to early computer geek Willow instead of later lesbian witch Willow.

#3 StupidMoniker, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I mean Space-Xander mostly on looks. The hair and facial features are very close imo.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Funny, I was thinking about the players and coaches on the 05/06 Rockets and it seems most of them are in Basketball in some form of fashion:

Yao Ming, McGrady, Alston: Still with Rockets.
    Juwan Howard: Mavs
    Van Gundy: Commentator on ESPN
    Steve Clifford: assistant coach in Orlando
    Tom Thibodeau: ass. coach in Boston
    Jon barry: Commentator on ESPN
    Charlie Ward: Coaching HS ball
    Clutch the Bear: Clutch the Bear.
    Mutombo: Head Cheerleader for the Rockets
    Chuck Hayes: Starting PF for Rockets.
    Stro Swift: Grizzlies

I think Wesley and Sura are out of basketball, but it's interesting most of those other guys are in basketball.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Tudyk lives a couple blocks from me. There's some brewpub where he chills out sometimes and he chats up the bartenders, one of which is a huge Firefly fan. Last I heard, he is working on some lawyer TV show. He was in Prelude to a Kiss on broadway last winter.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If you include Christina Hendricks who played Saffron(aka Bridget aka Yolanda) in "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Trash" as a recurring character, she's currently on Mad Men on AMC. That's a decent sized hit for that network.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I miss this show....I may have to watch the DVDs again.

DD

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'd notice that as well, the cast was made up of fairly solid character actors so its no big surprise they are getting more work.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Firefly > Battlestar Galactica

11. GRENDEL

no offense but you must be out of your damn mind

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

To each their own, I figure. Galactica was on the right path, but it got severely weak last year. I havent watched Razor yet.

13. GRENDEL

Even at it's weakest BSG is still better than anything I've seen in a long long time, just my opinion of course.

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Danny Strong also had a recurring role on "Gilmore Girls" until the show ended. And a screenplay he wrote topped the 2007 "Black List" of more well-regarded but so-far unproduced screenplays of the year.

I saw the killer pinata movie. Very bad. Brendon is currently shooting a movie in Dallas (or just got finished shooting it) called "Blood on the Highway".

Personally, I'd like to see more Emma Caulfield on my television and/or movie screen.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

crazy! television actors are now on OTHER television shows! :eek:

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Kam's brain cells are scattered all over tv land.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I remember that, he was Paris's boyfriend. It was funny when they were both taking Krav Maga.

You and me both. Hot and funny is a good combination (though I think the funny probably has more to do with Joss). Her delivery was good though.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Dude, whatever. Like I said before, 66% of Firefly's large cast have regular TV gigs elsewhere. Because they're not big name actors, I found that impressive.

19. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The only thing I want scattered are Jewel Staite's clothes all over my bedroom floor...