1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jopatmc, Dec 14, 2007.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think we should keep him and give him some bucks, not to create a QB controversy, but because a backup QB is very important to the team, and he is the best backup in the league right now.

2. updawg

updawg Member

I agree. With our OL, two capable QB's is necessary

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's going to be tough. Unless he likes the situation, I can't see him staying beyond his current contract (I think we have him for one more year). That said, every team in the league not named the Colts or the Patriots wishes they had the insurance of a Sage Rosenfels.

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I wonder if we could trade Sage for 2 second round picks.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I prefer basil or cilantro, myself...

6. jopatmc

After last night, I'm not convinced Schaub is actually that much better, if any better than Sage. That doesn't mean I don't like Schaub because I do. But I think they are very close in their capabilities, skills, and effectiveness, which has been, a drastic improvement over prior years. And I agree, if we don't get a stud left tackle, we gotta have both of them because it's just a matter of time before they get concussed.

7. jopatmc

Can you smoke those too?

;)

8. luisantonio1014

Maybe Sage can be the starter and Schaub the backup. They are both very good but Sage is much better in the 4th

9. tulexan

tulexan Member

I think we are going to trade Sage in the offseason. Next season will be his last year under contract and if he plays well for the remainder of the season his trade value will be as high as it's going to get. We still have a lot of holes on the team and if we could get a 2nd round or another 3rd round pick, we would take it.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

PERSONALLY
    Sage is better than Schaub . . .STR8 Up
    but
    add Schuab's contract and the picks we gave up for him . . . .
    Sage should have started this season

Rocket River
    If I were Miami . . I'd make a run at Sage . .to hold down the starter's job until my rookie is up to snuff

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

I don't think Sage is better than Schaub. Schaub played very well when we had a healthy team at the beginning of the season and looked just as good when Andre returned. I think we have learned how important Andre is to this team and how talented he is.

Another thing is that you have to remember this is Sage's second year in this offense while it is Schaub's first. I have no doubt that Schaub will be a top 10 QB next year when we get some more protection and a reliable running game.

Sage's injury last year was really unfortunate because he would've received more playing time in the second half of the season and probably would've been the starter this year. But what's done is done and Schaub is our franchise QB. I think Chicago, Miami, and Atlanta would be interested in Sage's services next year.

12. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I think Sage looked better than Carr when he subbed for Carr and I think he looks better than Schaub now subbing for Schaub. I'd go as far as to say the Texans need to give serious consideration to making him the starter next season.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He gets caught up in the numbers game
    THEY MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY TO SIT DOWN

Rocket River

14. updawg

updawg Member

that would be great if we get somethign for him. I'm sure kubiak could find another replacement backup (maybe Carr :D )

15. msn

msn Member

Fixed it for ya. Hey, I'm just sayin'. :D

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sage proved to me last year he was the best backup in the NFL. Too bad he got injured when Kubiak gave up on Carr.

I still like Schaub better but his durability concerns me.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sage is far from perfect. He has a very slow release, and he doesn't have great zip on the short passes. He also always seems to throw one ball per game squarely in the chest of a defender, like the slant that inexplicably bounced off Champ Baley's hands in the first quarter last night.

I can't think of a backup that I'd rather have in the league right now, but don't anoint him to the Hall of Fame yet. If the injury issue is not chronic, I'd still rather have Schaub as my starter.

18. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Wasn't Sage a Dolphin at one time? I thought I heard his name as one of the many who tried to replace Marino.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If Sage doesn't break his hand making a great tackle last season, we're never talking about Matt Schaub because he'd be starting for the Falcons.

I still think in the long term, Schaub is going to be the man.

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I wonder if we can get a 1st rounder for Matt? Or a second and third?