1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a problem with being a Francis Fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SMUSMU, Nov 5, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone that is a fan of Francis and ragged on V-Span .......is not being consistent.

It is ok to be a fan of any player, but not a hypocrit.

:D

DD

2. Labyrinth Blues

This is the exact kind of posts that make Stevie Francis look selfish and uneducated. I don't believe people actually hate Francis, we just hate crap like this that we continue to see.

Francis was the reason I became a Rockets fan in Y2K, but JeopardE said it perfectly in why I wouldnt want Stevie starting for this years Rockets team unless I see something.

Welcome to the board tho, I'm new myself, nice to meet you.

_ Blues

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with Steve Francis per se. But if deserved to be playing, I guarantee you he would be. Unfortunately, his attitude seems to be getting worse, and that's not good timing on his part.

He has no one to blame but himself for what happens from here on out.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Bravo. :D

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

Francis fan is undestandable. there is no problem if you have some best wishes for your beloved player.

Those actually having problems are Francis haters. Why in the world would you hate Francis before he does not even play 1 minute? :confused: for that 2.4M money, Les' money? or just for the love of Rafer Alston?

Are those SF haters= VSpan Haters = Alston lovers= JVG lovers? Anyone can do a little research on this?

Do you know why fans love players not playing?
    because..........our grass was dead yellow in April.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As long as Francis fans don't go overboard by hijacking threads and flaming people that don't worship him, fine. I'm getting tired of the endless discussion already but hopefully it settles down. I hope the cameras don't show one second of him on the bench so it doesn't give ammunition for either side to start 5 more threads after tonights game.

A suggestion to Francis fanatics: Please don't call everyone who criticizes him a hater. All that does is make you look silly and it probably inflames more people against him. There are already enough people who want him to fail.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't be so apologetic. You can be a fan of the team any way you want to be. I'm enjoying the strong start to the season, but it's a bit deflated without Francis on the court. I want Francis to play and to win. I'm not going to say one takes precedence over the other.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Francis Thread whooo hooo!

9. mtran6

mtran6 Contributing Member

As a Rockets fan, one should takes precedence over the other, that is winning over Francis playing. I was a huge sf3 fan his first stint for the rockets, however I've always been a Rockets fan first.

10. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

dream would be a good back up :)

11. SMUSMU

SMUSMU Member

I am not calling people who do not like Steve Francis "haters". What I am saying is, we have seen Rafer for 3 years and what has he done? We should have never made that trade to begin with (For the newcomers Mike James for Rafer Alston). But going back to my original post JVG needed, no wanted an efficent PG.

What we needed is for somebody in Game 7's to act like they wanted to win. 2005 & 2007

The starting PG position was Steve's to win and he did not, I just do not want to see the same things over and over.

To paraphrase Dennis Green, Rafer is who we think he is, Luther is who we think he is, and I think Steve is an upgrade over both of them and obviousley the front office did also or they would not have signed him. He did not hold up his end of the bargain. I do not see Steve even seeing the court until Friday against the Bucks. The last thing I want to happen is for Steve to play against the Mavs or the Spurs and we lose and everybody is going crazy and blaming Steve for ruining our undefeated season.

12. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MarcStein2222
    Once Steve gets in shape and starts over Reefer, we will be unstoppable

Not sure why MS42's comments make SF3 look selfish or uneducated? Did I miss something? :confused:

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree
    Offense and Van Gundy don't go together. :p ;)

Seriously though good post and there is nothing wrong with being a Francis fan. I thnk Francis will get his minutes eventually as things shake out in the season. I just hope he stays positive and gets in game shape and I predict by midseason he will be getting signifigant minutes.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

there is nothing wrong with being a Steve Francis fan. Now, there IS something wrong with thinking he DESERVES playing time.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a great point. For all of Francis' boneheaded play no one has ever questioned his heart or desire. In the 2004 playoffs we saw Francis play with fire and passion against the Lakers and there are plenty of times when a team needs someone to have that fire. The problem with Francis is that his greatest strength often seems to be his greatest weakness and passion can sometimes make you do stupid things and if he can direct his energy and focus into getting it shape and playing in Adelman's system he will be there.

I the Rockets will need Francis' passion especially late in the season and in another tough grind it out playoff. There is nothing more that I would like to see than something like game 3 at Utah last year with the Rockets going through the motions and suddenly Francis coming in and making a jaw dropping shot and getting the Rox fired up.

16. Kornele23

Kornele23 Member

First of all....Great post

There is nothing wrong with being a Steve Francis fan, BUT BUT BUT lets not chant " We want Stevie " at the game in the 3rd period with a 15 pt lead and in the 4th period with 2 mins left to play and a 8 pt lead. There is no way he should come in the game. I've said this before and ill say it again. I'm a big Steve guy myself but he needs to get in shape and prove himself before he will get time off the bench.

I dont think he will be here much longer anyway. He will get mad and cause problems sooner or later. His name wont get him playing time this time around. Good luck to him and all you die hard Francis fans.

17. chicho

chicho Member

perfectly stated! ;)

18. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

I doubt very seriously there are many fans who truly "worship Francis". They simply are glad to have him back and want him to do well. Any ture fan would. Conversely, anyone that "wants Francis to fail" should not only quit posting altogether, they should recognize they are not true Rocket fans and go root for the Mavericks or Spurs. How can you be a Rocket fan and at the same time want someone on the team, particularly a former franchise player of Francis caliber, to fail??? That is so stupid! Yet, that is so typical of some of the "heavyweights" of this Board who can not help but reveal their utter ignorance, in attempting to show their alleged knowledge. They obviously never played team sports and they understand nothing of GRACE! Francis gave of himself when he was here and in spite of some of his foilbiles of his former days, we should all be glad he chose to come back to the city, the team, the fans he always loved and really never left. He is a Rocket now and as Rocket fans, he deserves our support!! Something is wrong with any of us that would deny his restoration as a Rocket! There is something really shallow and petulant, no, even toxic about hoping Francis fails and doesn't find his contributory role, purpose, and place within the scheme of this fresh and exciting Rocket team! I, for one, will unashamedly cheer him on and hope the chants continue until Adelman allows him to at least get on the Court!

19. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Thumbs down for this post. You aren't going to compare a 44 year old and a 45 year old retired player to an active 30 year old guard who can still contribute.

20. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

There is no problem with being a Francis fan.

However, there is a problem with arguing that he should be starting or playing significant minutes when he hasn't done anything yet to prove he deserves it.

I was a huge Francis fan back in his hey-day. I agree that he was all we had until Yao was drafted. But, that doesn't automatically earn him playing time on this year's team.

He couldn't beat out Rafer Freaking Alston in training camp. He shouldn't play more than Mike James at this point. I don't see him running the starting 5 well because he is not a pass-first PG. To argue he could be would be a short argument because he's never done it is his whole career. Yao and Tracy should be the majority of the shots in the starting 5. Putting in a dribble-happy PG would kill the chemistry they spent 2 years building.

Back to the original poster's point: No problem being a Francis fan at all. I'm still a Francis fan, but not enough to be detrimental to the results of the team. I want Rockets wins more than I want to see Francis play.