1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Position Rankings: Center (Sportsline.com)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Sep 25, 2007.

1. IMissJVG

IMissJVG Rookie

Wow that's shocking to hear that, considering that Amare has been spoon-fed the perfect system for him.

I just can't believe how overrated this guy is. He's already playing in a super fast tempo offense, which will inflate his stats by default. The system also doesn't make him accountable for his poor defense whatsoever. Then on top of that, he gets to play with one of the best PGs in the league.

Mike D'Antoni and Steve Nash literally created this Stoudamire guy that everyone drools over. It's pretty sad.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If yao plays suns offense, i guess yao would have 10 points and 3 rebounds. He be playing center, standing at the center line, as the balls flys around him. He be too slow to do anything.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Uhhhhh... how about no?

I'd take Yao or Dwight Howard over Amare EVERY time. Amare is very talented, but he wouldn't get those numbers without Nash. No way.

And let's not even get into how his D is ridiculously sub-par when you consider how athletic he is...

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If D'Antoni and Nash had Yao, only an idiot without any common sense would still run that kind of offense with Yao in the lineup. D'Antoni and Nash utilize the personnel that they have in the best way possible. To speculate on what kind of offense they could run, we will only need to watch this season's Rockets with Adelman at the helm.

And lest we forget, Stoudemire's bread and butter is the pick and roll with Nash, a play that doesn't really require that much quickness to begin with.

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

What yao brings on both ends of the floor far exceeds what amare wil ever bring. do you people think it's a coincidence since yao has been a rocket, we've allways had one of the top 3 best interior defenses?. just last season we had the best interior defense in the league. no dis-respect intented to chucky hayes, but it was soley due to yao. noway amare has that kind of effect

On offense, if you try to play collapse D on yao, he'll kill you with he's crafty passing ability. he'll just find a open man. also when he was rolling on all cylinders, he was even killing triple teams with he's unbeliveble footwork.

You try to triple someone like amare who has poor low post skills and relies on he's atheletic ability to get by he's opponenents, it will result into a automatic TO. he just dosent have anywhere near the footwork or the passing ability big yao has.

I'm flabbargasted how anyone put amare over yao.

6. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

that argument is old. Amare was something with a selfish ballhog called starbury before nash arrived. in fact, he was also arguably better than Yao then.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Just thought that it's about time someone straightened you out!!
    Put Yao Ming with Nash for a season and put Amare with Alston
    for a season, then make your comparison. Yao Ming would look like the
    world leader that he is while Amare would drop 20 % in the rankings. :p

8. liangqj

liangqj Member

Yao and Stoudamire have different style on the court. Yao is a traditional center, and in other way Stoudamire is the center of small-ball style. The ranking is only ones views, it doesn't mean the true. I know Yao doesn't care about this bored rankings and news. Try his best to win every game. When he get a Champion, no one will say he is not the best center in the world.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Thats exactly what it is and people don't realize that. Thats the reason KMart got max contract because people don't pay attention to this kind of stuff.

Remember all the Hype that KMart got when he was with Kidd, and look at him now (even injuries aside) he has done nothing in Denver. Amare is going to be much the same in 3-5 years when Nash retires, but let Amare keep all this hype with him until then, its not going to last forever.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

HAHAHHHAHA, look at his stats with Marbs, 13.5/8.8, 20.6/9.0 in 36 minutes per. This is without defense and still in an offensive minded team. Nash comes and his stats jump to 26/9. Come on.... 20.6/9 (.472 FG%) vs. 26/9 (.559 FG%) is a good player vs. a superstar. He needs Nash BAD. Without Nash he is nothing more than a good player in the NBA.

What has Yao had to work with? He started off a soft player (learning Chinese method of Bball) and yea he was bad before, but he is shooting will over 55% from field with absolute junk PGs around him (at least compared to Nash). Oh and to kill any TO talk: Yao has around 3 TOs a game, year b4 Nash game Amare was at 3.22 a game... Goes to show without a good PG on your team TOs for a center are gonna be high.

11. pillage

pillage Member

Guys, Amare is a very good player and will be a perennial all-star. However I see him more as a PF than a C. Regardless, he is going to be a handful for every team in the league to handle for over a decade. He is the first player to have a successful micro-fracture surgery, and he hadn't got his explosiveness back last year.

I know we're all Rockets fans and love Yao, but lets stay grounded in reality. It's one thing to say we'd prefer Yao over Amare (I agree) but its another to say he's an over-rated bum who's stats are all thanks to Steve Nash. The guy managed to win ROY w/o Nash.

Yao is the best center in the league followed by Dwight Howard and then Shaq. Amare would be a PF for every other team except the one he's on now, and maybe the Warriors. Either way, Yao really doesn't care about any of those rankings and will dominate the league this year.

12. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

You guys ever notice that P1S2 only ever posts to bash Yao? Man, get over it already. You sound pathetic and bitter that he's on the Rockets. Guess what? he's here to stay and that's not gonna change anytime soon. I guess you'd better go whine on other messageboards or go kill yourself.

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

I think the main problem with Yao is his athletic. Yao is good and I agree with that but he isn't athletic and that's that. You don't see a lot of Yao's power dunks. Maybe he's too big to be athletic but I think he should work work and again work to be more athletic.

14. chiorsung

chiorsung Member

Sorry, athleticism is not workable. By the way, I heard that a fracture in yao's left(?) foot totally destroyed his athleticism.

15. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

...What? So what is next? Cure cancer? Stop war over the world? Identify UFO?

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I am not sure what a "power dunk" is, maybe you mean "athletic dunk". Yao consistently ranks top 5 in the % of dunks out of all field goals and I don't know why you think he can't make "power dunks".

17. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Its genetics, no matter how much Yao works at it, he just isn't built to be a quick athletic big man like Amare. That being said, Yao is way more dominant than Amare. Amare is ranked that high because he plays within a system that fits his athleticism and style of play. Thats the reason you see more dunks from him than Yao. This is the new school of centers, where they have to play into a certain system to flourish, as opposed to guys like Hakeem, or David Robinson, who could play in any system you would put them in because of how skilled they were.

I would still put Yao at #1 over Amare by a significant margin, because it seems to me that Yao is a true center, while Amare is just an oversized PF (and not even really that oversized).

One thing I think would improve Yao's overall ability and quickness is his balance, he has improved, but I think that is his biggest weakness. If he had better balance, he would move better and probably jump quicker to dunk more.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

For example look at his last season. He had a lot of positions to dunk the ball but he didn't do that. I understand he's very high and I know he won't be something like Amare. Maybe I'm wrong but for me athletic is a very big problem for him even to defend guys like Amare or Dwight Howard

19. Barkley

Barkley Member

I agree with you but I will put Yao and Amare on the same spot. Amare has his pluses but he has also his minuses the same thing with Yao. But right now with Adelman it will be very interestin' to see Yao in up-tempo game. Rockets will probably play the similar basketball to Phoenix so Amare vs. Yao will be very nice to see

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

What an idiot! Yao absolutely dominates games in stretches. When TMac was choking in game 7 Yao was the only one keeping us in the game. As for boozer it's actually ridiculous to ask Yao to guard him. Once Boozer started hitting the outside shot the writing was on the wall. Ask Duncan to guard Tmac and watch him get schooled. The stupidity is in the brilliant minded defensive coach who made no adjustments.

As for who is the best center in the league, hands down it's Yao and the world would know that if they just watched a few more Rockets games.