1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TRADE T-MAC? excerpt from SportingNews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BBall Scientist

Yao is better than T-Mac. The sooner Adelman gets on the floor the better, because even the fans can't get it after how Van Gundy ran the offense.

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

if u want to trade tmac for a guy that is not only have his all-around abilities but u also want better leadership, there's only 2 guys really -> bron and wade.

kobe is a better scorer but he lacks A LOT of other things and i just don't think he'll fit w/ yao's humble personality, but kobe's another guy that u can replace and won't lose much.

that's the ONLY 3 perimeter players u can consider trading.

arenas -> even worse in efficiency. pierce -> not as good. iverson -> even worse worse in efficiency.

and the only big man that u can trade is duncan/kg.

so basically, if u want to trade tmac and get a superstar back, then that's only 6 players. and im sure hte other teams don't want to trade them for tmac since they already have good teams.

and if u want to trade tmac for all-stars or nearly all-stars, ur not gonna win anyways if yao is gonna be ur true #1 option.

so basically, just pray tmac and yao can get it together htis season and do it big. this is the last season where no excuses can be made (if health is good).

tmac's legend in the game will be destroyed as a loser. yao's status will forever be a star player.

so this season is a make-or-break for our 2 best players

3. SmitingPurpleEm

Most of us have, except you repeatedly somehow use ass-backwards reasoning to say that that because McGrady failed in the playoffs, he is somehow better than Yao and that this is still his team? What?

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

really, who can they get to replace tmac? or do u want to rebuild w/ draft picks?

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

ask ANYBODY outside of houston and ask them how yao played? i GUARANTEE the majority will said yao played spectacular.

and again, u keep saying tmac's game is deteriorating and yao's game improving but i don't see it.

i see yao "digressing" in the playoffs where names are made. and yao was ON FIRE going into the playoffs.

tmac played bad ON THE ROAD. i thought he played well at home.

if yao was a true superstar, he would have won at least one road game for us. ONE ROAD GAME. a superstar can win one game.

tmac won games 1, 2, 5 for us or the most of it.

and yao playing mediocre when he was not on sloan's to stop list is not a good thing to say w/ the single coverage yao got

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

no i'm just saying how u said tmac played bad, yao playing mediocre, and concludes yao's game is on the rise while tmac's on the decline.

i agree w/ most of hte other posters. i'm just responding to your logic

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I cannot see it! :)

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I remember he just got 1 point in the first half of game 1!

Honestly, I think we won games 1 and 2 is because of VGD's defense, and won game 5 because of 3 point shooting.

10. SmitingPurpleEm

That's BS and you know it. The Chinese media ripped Yao to shreds. The common reaction from other non-Rockets fans of Yao's play was "WTF? I've been hearing that he's not a soft sack of crap anymore, but he sure looks that way!"

Yao's PPG and PER have steadily improved each year, and his MPG has gone up to about 35 mpg. That means that not only has he been scoring more, he's also becoming more efficient, and he's doing it in more minutes. If that's not improvement, what is?

Well, if names are made in the playoffs, then McGrady is a LOSER. I know you hate that label, but if you want the arbitrary "playoffs are what it's all about" standard, that's what you get.

McGrady didn't just play poorly on the road, he was basically invisible. Yao played basically the same mediocre quality the whole series. We had a game where only 4 players scored. BTW, the reason the Rockets were down in game 1 is because McGrady did nothing the first half, and Yao played a better game anyway.

McGrady got single covered too, by a bunch of guys that shouldn't have any business stopping him. Sloan didn't double either Yao or McGrady until they got into the paint, then he sent help. This is why our role players sucked; Sloan was able to get away with not doubling, so they didn't get the wide open looks they were accustomed to getting.

11. SmitingPurpleEm

So the regular seasons have magically vanished?

McGrady played well in spurts and horribly in spurts in the series, that averages out to mediocre. Yao played the same mediocre quality the whole series. They both played mediocre basketball, and it wasn't good enough to win, so I'm essentially ignoring the series when trying to project where both players will go for next season.

12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Excerpt from page 2 by Gregg Easterbrook

There is no doubt that the T-Mac that the Rockets have now is a team mentality kind of player. As I previously stated, all other Rocket players did not contribute, hence, the team lost. The other point of the article is that to be recognized in the NBA you have to be a player-first type of player

So the point is that I rather have a team player like T-Mac than Lebron.

Other unrelated mention of the Rockets or notable quotes.

...discussing playoff tip-off times

...on young T-Mac

Read the article for more detail...

13. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

T-mac not elite? That's complete BS. He was top 5-6 in the MVP race, second team All-NBA, among other things. He was our playmaker and scorer. At times, he was called upon to defend the opposing team's best player. Sure, due to inconsistency, his shooting percentage was pretty terrible by his standards, but he was just one year removed from the back spasm-filled 05-06 season, so I expect his percentages to go up this coming season.

He still fills the stat sheet and wins us games, which last season he did a lot without Yao. To be able to carry the team like that and have so much responsibility on his shoulders yet still excel as an individual player seems to me like the characteristics of an elite player.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

t-mac's frame is far from slight. he's filled out pretty well. at best you can make that comment about his legs but since they don't cause him problems i wouldn't say it's an issue.

his potential back problems will always make his value lower than it is, but his performance last year with yao out, is enough proof of his still spectacular ability.

15. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Seriously, stop posting.

17. rnbni99a

rnbni99a Member

he bout 2 bounce back this year

18. BBall Scientist

Unless you have Jordan you won't win a title without a tremendous big.

So basically, these T-Mac playoff and title talks really make no sense.

The talk of they go as far as T-Mac takes them talk really makes no sense.

Yao is the one who will decide if they even get out of the first round. Adelman's offense may even be more important now.

As for where T-Mac ranks and is he "elite"?

Well I'd still take him over LeBron or Wade IF his back is ok. He's certainly better than the choker Dirk.

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

This thread is day dreaming and we all know that Rox won't ever trade McGrady or Yao.And whats with those last 6 minutes of game 7?Of every game of those series?That OVER!We got new team,rebuilded and our players have new roles.And yeah if you hate even one player how can you love the team? :confused:

20. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

The difference in Mac's upper and lower body could be one of the factors that contribute to his back problems. In my younger days I used to hit the weights pretty hard and I began to develop back problems because I didn't work out my legs enough. Once my leg strength improved my back problems went away.

The body must have balance to stay healthy. Balance good - Karate good. Balance bad - Karate bad Danielson. :)