1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Francis eyeing bounce-back year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Happy187, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

And we will have alston playing starter minutes again...........

2. Rover16

Rover16 Member

People are living too much in the past and will be in for a rude awakening this season. Francis is an 8th man type player in this league now.

3. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Funny, I was going to respond the same way to jo mama.

4. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I couldn't help but cheer after reading your post...

Preseason starts Oct 9th. I can't wait to see what this team looks like.

5. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

Well, there will always be a bunch of debbie downers. I personally think that SF will be an integral part of the team this season because he won't have to be the main man on the team. He already knows that the Rockets have two guys who fill the basket much better than he can. I think that he knows his role and he knows that his skills, though diminished, can benefit the team in a great way.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that his attitude has indeed changed since his last stint as a Rocket. He's still an explosive scorer, a great finisher, and he can draw fouls (he shoots those FT's pretty damn well, too). I'm glad to have Stevie back.

6. uofhpikapp91

uofhpikapp91 Member

What I really like about this article, is that he is waking up early everyday working out, getting in game shape, and shooting to get ready for the up coming season. That is rare in today's NBA. I appreciate his dedication to this team. I love T-Mac but I doubt he is doing the same, granted I don't want him to do anything but rest his back and legs for the season! Welcome back Stevie!

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stevie came home,humbled,and matured a bit...I get a sense that being comfortable,at home,in Houston playing with Yao and Tracy willl bring out the best in him.It sounds like he's working his butt off in rehab and at least for 2 -3 years should be a fine role player(with upside).He lifts the quality depth immediately which is something we needed to do.Francis lives here took much less(Of course he was bought out BIG by Paul Allen),and really wants to win a title.I'm pretty oonfident his role has been defined for him by Les,Morey,and CD.Adelman knows how to extract the most out of his guards.....TR Dunn will play biug in this teams success too.I'd say this Bodes well for Francis.
    As mentioned earlier,the injury could be a blessing in disguise.
    I see Stevie playing within himself more...teamball at a high level.

OMT....I like the fact that Steve is here without Cat.

#87 Plowman, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  8. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

hahaha :D

9. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

You gotta remember the old Murphy-ism though, not all teams are for all players. New environment, new (better) teamates, there are reasons to think that we're gonna see a better, more mature Francis. This is all just speculation of course, but I'm in the optimistic camp simply because the team as a whole seems to be on the same page.

10. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

You have to give him a chance and be positive that he will play the right way and not go back into his former ego. But there is no getting around moving the basketball,not holding on to it stalling the offense,setting screens,moving without the basketball and sacrificing his ego and craves for the good of the team.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

All we need is a nice Picture of Randy Quaid from the movie Major League

Rocket River

12. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Yeah, I can still remeber his rebouding prowess!!! Next to Jason Kidd, he was the best in the game for a rebounding point guard!!!

If he can still cut/slash/dunk/pass he will do well for Coach A

13. pacman

pacman Member

I agree. Both Mike James and Francis have already expressed their enthusiasm to play for this team and how they consider Houston as their true home. As to Francis' ego, we have to remember he took a pay cut just to play in Houston , other teams were offering substantially more. That decision alone shows a lot of maturity and wisdom on his part. Some things money just can't buy, and Francis showed his loyalty to the rockets with this move.

With the right coach and right motivation, talented players like Francis can go far in this league.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When they talk about a "BOUNCE" back year for Francis, hopefully they are not talking about the dribble.

DD

15. uranus00

uranus00 Member

great to have steve back... just got me wondering though... who's he gonna throw all the lob passes to now that cato and cat arent here anymore...

i remember the old rockets game where yao would set a pick, then steve penetrates, then lobs it to cato or cat... that play seemed to work everytime...

16. Bald Puppet

Bald Puppet Member

Your crazy man. If you really believe that, then YOU will be the one thats in for a rude awakening.

17. Coca Cola Scola

Debbie Downers. :D LOL. Creative use of words.

Adelman's system doesn't require a pure passing point guard....Steve's skills might come in handy because he can score whenever Yao or Tmac kick it out to him or when he back cuts. It's good to have an extra guy that can penetrate, create his own shot, and get to the free throw line.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Didnt francis like 19 points whenever he played 30 minutes?. i think he avge like 24 points in the last 4 games of the season. that is not a bad 8th man in the rotation.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's on SF to adjust his game to Adelman's offense. The ball won't be in his hands that much and he's got to adjust to being effective without the ball. More than in a traditional offense, SF also must learn to give up the ball faster since the premium is on passing and NOT his specialty, which is dribbling. IMO, the skepticism is merited. The question isn't SF's skillset. It's his attitude, b-ball IQ and health. We'll find out whether the "debbie downers" or "Stevie lovers" are right. I'm undecided but very hopeful.

20. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Morey said they were targeting guys who could penetrate and that Steve Francis is one of the best in the NBA at penetrating so when he became available, they got him. If you look at how the Rockets are now structured, we have many many quick penetrating guards.

Question - Can Alston and Head drive to the hoop and penetrate in traffic? We never saw them try that last year but I think that was because of JVG's 1950's stand around passing offense. Kick the ball to Yao and kick it back out to the shooter.