1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D. Fisher Released

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Jazz released D. Fish from his contract so he could tend to his daughters cancer treatment per ESPN news

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. That's the right thing to do, but it'll hurt them. They couldn't have beat the Rockets without Fisher. He killed the Rockets.

I wish his daughter well.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Just heard this. I didn't understand how serious this was when he skipped the games in the playoffs. Apparently, its a life threatening condition that his daughter has. My prayers for DF and his family.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As much as I dispise Fisher during his Laker days, he has his priorities in order. Can't say the same for our NBA savior, Mr. James.

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I wish him, his family, especially his daughter well.

I hated him as a player on the court.. but I do wish him well and that he could be back on the court when the season starts.

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Does the CBA allow a player and a team to rescind a player contract by agreement? I wondered this in the context of VSpan's contract - perhaps we could trade him like a non-guaranteed deal (i.e. most of Sura's contract), if the other team knew it could get VSpan to tear up the contract after the trade and save them the cap space. This might help facilitate a trade with a team over the luxury tax, such as Phoenix, Denver or New York.

7. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

derek fisher released

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924068
    I think he's a great fit for us. He is tough on the ball defensively and can knock down the J. Also, Houston has arguably the best cancer treatment center in the world. I bet he'd sign for the minimum here if his daughter can receive the necessary treatment in Houston.

8. Williamson

Oh what the hell, man. They released him because he needed to be released to take care of his daughter with cancer and be there for her during her treatment. It's a move they made because it's the right thing to do, not because they didn't want Fisher on their team.

He wants to be there for his daughter, not spend half the year on the road away from her. Are you crazy, man?

Besides that, do we really need an 8th guard? This is getting out of control. Seems like people would have us fielding a roster next year of Mike James, Vassillis Spanoulis, Aaron Brooks, Steve Francis, Chauncey Billups and now Derek Fisher (they'd all trade Alston).

9. axaznshortyxa

axaznshortyxa Member

One more point guard to our roster will do it!

10. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Basketball is the last thing on the man's mind. Let him be.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You know its the offseason when anytime a player is released, you'll see a post within minutes stating that the Rockets should go after him.

12. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Can someone post the gif image of Derek Fisher blowing the 3-on-1 fast break lay-up?

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Fisher seems like a great guy, a real professional. I hope he gets his daughter taken care of.

14. Williamson

Yeah, and I fully expect that, but this one is a new low.

"Hey guys, Derek Fisher's daughter has cancer. Do you think the Rockets can take advantage of that?"

15. abundance

abundance Member

He is giving him up his job to be with his family. When somebody feels a great love for someone and fear losing them to rare type of cancer, they will do everything in their soul to be with that person to love them, support them, hold them, and comfort them. A basketball and some game is the last thing Fisher will think about 20-30 years from now. The warmth of his daughter in his arms will last his whole lifetime.

16. WildSweet&Cool

His one-year-old daughter, Tatum, has cancer of the eye (retinoblastoma).

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

thats is a sad sad thing. But if you guys think about it, it happens to normal people all the time. I'm not saying oh well it happens, i'm saying life sucks sometimes even when you are a millionaire, he's blessed to have the money to help his daughter, i hope she does well.

By the way you admire this guy as much as you hate him on court. He always speaks with sincerity and I think it was his leadership that helped the jazz beat the rockets. Without him they probably would have fallen apart.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hate the guy on the court, but mucho respect for having his priorities in order.

God bless his daughter.

19. Dei

Dei Member

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Wow, if that's the real reason, salute both to Fisher and Utah.

Now, Utah suck.