1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peja Novakic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooliverb1, May 23, 2007.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

I personally think that Novak is a much better player than Bullard. He has a much quicker release, can put the ball on the floor, and actually has a good midrange jumper. Hopefully under Adelman, he will be able to demonstrate more than he did under JVG.

I think the main issue is confidence right now. DA needs to come in and just believe in everyone, and see what they can do. If you look at his college highlights, he is much more confident, and knows he can ball. When you see him now, he hesitates a ton.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Confidence is a HUGE part of the game, some coaches instill confidence others tear it down.

I hope Adelman is someone who instill it, we tried the tear it down kind, and all that got us was 1st round exits and players afraid of their own shadow.

DD

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I think Novak can contribute to this team. He has a nice outside shot, and with Yao/Tmac, there's plenty of those open for shooters. I just hope the Rockets give up on playing him at the 4. He doesn't look like he can bulk up much and he's slow enough as is.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

its really flowing today...better pull up my boots.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We are knee deep in olive branches.

6. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

:D

quantity over quality seems to be his MO...just keep throwing it and something may stick

7. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

They are indefensible if you have other plays you can run to keep the defense honest....if those 2 plays are your ONLY plays and you can succeed offensively any other way, they are VERY easy to defend...

8. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Sorry...no edit rights :S

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

at least some of you can be realistic and say novak maybe the next bullard. its funny, you guys who believe this guy is going to be equal to an all-star are the same guys who pumped the guy up from the draft. you get it into your heads and you just can't let it go.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

true. the rockets had no one else that scared teams offensively. thats their problem...not enough good scoring players. i will agree with you there.

11. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

I think it was a combination of lacking that 3rd scorer and a certain rigidity by JVG regarding his offense.

Not saying he had the greatest talent in the world to choose from but I'm on the side of the court that believes he could've tried doing some things differently...He relied too much on teh 3pt shot to keep defenses honest and the problem with that is that it's streaky and inefficient. As soon as a team sees that shot is not falling they can concentrate on blocking the 2 plays you mentioned and you're pretty much done.

12. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

novak will never be peja, as much as i'd love to see it happen...

when talking about novak's ceiling as a player, i'm surprised no one has mentioned his current predecessors - jason kapono and kyle korver. if anything, novak's game will most likely resemble theirs the most, with a majority of their looks coming off screens or a dish from dribble penetration/double team on the post.

every now and then they'll be forced to put the ball on the floor and make a smart play (whether it be drive and shoot or pass to an open teammate) when their defender closes out on their shot, and that's what makes the difference between one trick ponies buried on the bench and consistent rotational players.

13. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

Oh god, that has got to be the funniest thing I have read all week. Yao Ming just like steve francis but 7-6 and chinese hahahahahaaa omg i can't stop.

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I'd never seen that before, thanks to R2K and you.

Funny people think he's a tree stump. :D Maybe there was a reason Morey is high on this guy.

Those highlights of him in college did surprise me. He didn't use his feet to gain balance, it looks like he gets his shoulders square after he's in the air. Man, that's a pure shooter.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah, he could have tried a lot of things but that doesnt mean it would have been any better. I just think the talent was so limited on the offensive end it dictated what the rockets were able to do...so they went fundamental. Feed the post and kick out for the open shot (b/c none on the starting squad could really penetrate and finish outside of tmac), or give the ball to tmac and PnR with hayes or yao. Sometimes you post up battier...those are your best threats and they were used.

Rockets will still rely heavily on the 3pt shot, maybe not as much but yao and tmac jst create those open looks from outside so well you have to hit them, especially if you want the defense to loosen up to spread the floor

16. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I think Novak needs to have some training sessions with D-Wade, on how to grab fouls from opponents. He needs to make that 97% free throw percentage work during his senior season at Marquette.

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Novak needs to eat

thats my main concern

if he stays skinny as he is, he won't get much time on the court

I really liked how JVG sometimes used him as a true PF, even if it wasn't a lot, he got bumped and scratched few times...I hope he takes this summer break serious and bulks up at least 20 pounds...

18. superden

superden Contributing Member

We all know that Novak can shoot lights out. That doesn't seem to be the problem. His release is pretty decent, he can space the floor, etc. The problem is he needs a couple more reasons to be on the court. If he can shuffle his feet on offense, create some shots of his own, or play off the double, we might see Novak more often next season. Usually it takes a few year for a 2nd rounder to develop. It's a long off season anyway...so lets continue with the Peja=Novak discussion :D

19. stq

stq Member

regardless, Novak will have to play D and get some rebounds as a PF, or he won't see court time.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Novak = Matt Bullard

Sometimes you guys are blind optimists....geez