1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Yao 100% back to pre-injury?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Apr 30, 2007.

1. devin23

devin23 Member

I'm alittle concerned with the way he's been shooting. I remember he was able to do the spin move and complete it with the dunk AND1 easily prior to injury. Now, he hasn't made one of those dunks. I know yao can't jump high, but I rare ever see him make or even attempted contested dunks since he's back as he couldn't reach that high or just isn't as aggresive. Of course he's TO is back to how it used to be, but not his overall game IMO. Maybe its not all about the physical injury, maybe its more mental.

2. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

3. choujie

choujie Member

He is slower and his stamina is worse.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hell no, he jumps like a one legged midget who recently found out he was cut from appearing on Jackass.

The MAN DOES NOT JUMP. He had a bad experience.

5. devin23

devin23 Member

Now I think guarding boozer may also be a factor. He maybe too fatigued after defending boozer to play better at offense.

6. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I have no idea what's wrong with Yao. I'd say some of its physical but it's mostly mental. You can tell he's a bit rattled out there and the Jazz have taken him out of his game.

He needs to get deeper, make quicker decisions, and hit his fade away jumpers. His rebounding has been good but his defense has been atrocious. Hopfully it's just mental and he makes the proper adjustments.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he is clearly not the same player. i think it may be partly physical but mostly mental. hopefully it doesnt take him to next year to wake up that innerbeast again.

8. sun12

sun12 Member

I don't think it is mental. He lost at least a half step. He can not do the spin move anymore. It has nothing to do with mental. If he spins, and can still dunk, then it is mental that his other games are not as good as before. Now if he spins, the defender can always recover, this tells you he lost at least half a step.

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

As much as I hate to say this: Give Okur some credit. The guy is going all out on defense against Yao. He's gotten away with some fouls, but he has gotten in Yao's head.

However, I think the amount of energy he is expending on defense is affecting his offensive game...He is missing wide open three that he normally makes.

10. devin23

devin23 Member

Then he is slower than before. Man i really hope he can recover. I hope its not permenant because of the knee.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Someone should have immediately posted, "F no" in response to this question then locked the thread at 1 post...

12. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

I think he is afraid of injury again. Being one of top player in Rockets he is hungry for the win. Therefore, He could not bear suffering another injury that could lead longer time to recovery. But when we are progress in the playoff he will eventually more agressive on the board and play above the rim.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Utah is just killing him. I think hes around 75%.

14. life_chen

life_chen Contributing Member

Everyone can easily see that Yao is not the same, for some reason. He looks slolwer and more hesitant. He still puts up numbers. But sometimes it's just painful to watch him play. I even suspect that his leg has not completely healed but he just doesnt want to say it at this moment. Remember he used to play with a bad toe for several months. Maybe some rest in the summer would help.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So far in these Playoffs Yao Ming has to say the least looked cautious. Which leads one to consider the possiblity that he is not 100% game fit and/or isn't fully recovered from injury. He is not playing with confidence!
    On the other hand we must also consider that Yao Ming listens and complies with instructions from the coaching staff, which could be insisting he play a certain way to facilitate the game of the team in general. :p

16. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I also believe he's not back to pre-injury form. His baseline spin was his best move, now his defenders are able to cut him off. He doesn't look to be covering as much ground when he spins. He almost looks like he's spinning in place compared to before.

His other post moves aren't so dependent on explosiveness, so I can't use those as guides. But he's not able to root his defenders underneath the basket like he used to, either. So to me it looks like he's lost a little explosiveness and a little strength.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I am sure that we all hope that this will be the case!!

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao's shooting badly because he's getting hacked all the time. No one on the Jazz team can man up on him fairly. But they don't have to the way the refs keep swallowing their whistles.

19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Yao is still wearing tape and stuff on his finger, so that right there is a dead giveaway that hes not 100%

20. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

It's not just his shooting, Yao is much slower compared to the pre-injury Yao. He is not fast to begin with, but still pretty good for his size before. He moved like he is in slow motion when he tried that spin move now. :(