1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A look at home/away shooting %'s by player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Apr 24, 2007.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Not much of an in-depth analysis, but I thought some people here might be interested in this data. It's pretty self-explanatory, but I'll give a quick explanation anyway.

The first chart is the Rocket players difference in shooting %'s between home and road games. The "Diff." columns are found by subtracting "Home %" out of "Road %". This leaves us with how much better or worse they shoot on the road.

The second chart is the Jazz players difference in shooting %'s between home and road games. The "Diff." columns are found by subtracting "Road %" out of "Home %". This leaves us with how much better or worse they shoot at home.

The obvious reason for this is to make it easier to see what we can expect with the series heading back to Utah.

So, what I did was mark increases of at least 2.0% in blue, and decreases of 2.0% (shown as -2.0% and lower) as red. I figured that any difference smaller than that could be considered relatively insignificant.

Here are the charts...

[​IMG]

The most obvious thing about the Rockets is that, surprisingly, Rafer shoots much better in all 3 categories on the road. The bad news is that all our others shooters that have struggled (Head, Battier, McGrady) are significantly worse on the road, aside from Tracy's FT%. Our other superstar is also a less efficient shooter on the road.

Not good.

[​IMG]

Yeah I know, lots of blue :(

The Jazz are seemingly an amazing shooting team at home compared to the road, and the only noticeable contradiction to that is Deron Williams' drop off across the board. So perhaps our only saving grace is that the stats suggest Rafer might be the better point guard (at least in terms of shooting) over the next couple of games.

At first glance, things don't look promising, but I honestly haven't dissected this stuff too much. Anybody have some thoughts about it?

2. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Well atleast Deron Williams shoots slightly worse at home. He is the biggest key for the Jazz in this series.

Doesn't look good for the rox though. Luther Head and Juwan need to play better if we're going to have any chance in gaame 3.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

mcgrady has a history of being a good road player though, and i think in the playoffs he feeds off the negative crowds kind of like reggie miller, see games 1 and 2 at dallas.

he was better at home this year, but i think he's a more energized player right now and if he performs the team will follow.

4. FireBlizzard90

chuck hayes free throw improvement on the road is what shocks me

5. ClutchCityReturns

Holy hell, it wasn't necessary to quote my entire post, especially when you're the FIRST reply.

:confused:

Can I mod please edit that or something?

6. life_chen

life_chen Contributing Member

why does rafer play much better on the road?

7. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I swear I saw an article on Houston Chronicle that commented that Yao and Battier perform about same level at home and on the road, but Tracy and Rafer actually shoots better on the road . But I can't find that source right now...

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Why does Chuck Hayes shoot 22% BETTER at FT on the road?

#8 Sishir Chang, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  9. ClutchCityReturns

22% better on the road. Not sure if you looked at it wrong or if you meant to say that.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

May be because there are less people on the road who dislike him as much as his hometown fans do?

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Can you find playoff stats? I mean some of these guys dont have much in the way of playoff stats or none at all...but it would be interesting to see.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This will be interesting for all the Rafer haters out there...

Especially if Rafer shoots lights out but we still lose the next two games. Wonder what they'll say about Rafer then :D

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think in the case of McGrady it was true last season (or was it season before last?) that he was a flat-out better road player.

Hopefully the same will be true in these playoffs.

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

My mistake. I was typing while trying to eat a cookie.

15. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

It was a very recent article, maybe a couple of weeks ago, I think. But I just can't find it now.

16. ClutchCityReturns

He's been a better shooter on the road since 2003-2004, and drastically better in 2004-2005, but this year it has been the opposite.

As for the playoffs in 2004-2005, here's how Tracy performed...

Home:
    48.1% FG
    42.3% from 3
    84.2% FT

Road:
    43.6% FG
    30.0% from 3
    81.3% FT

Basically, he was not a better shooter on the road this season or the last time he was in the playoffs.

17. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I found the source, but I don't think it is allowed to link to that site :)

Given all the bad rep I've heard about that site, I would trust ClutchCityReturns's stats more.

ClutchCityReturns, sorry I doubted you earlier.

18. RAPblue

RAPblue Member

Lmao. The away crowds probably encourage Rafer when he as the ball, hoping he messes up as much as he does at home. :D

19. ysong00

ysong00 Member

lets just hope we get a lot of FTs.. i mean look at tmacs percentage on the road.. so much better, for FTs at least

20. ClutchCityReturns

Honestly I think Chuck's FT% is better on the road because the fans aren't expecting his awkward release. At home games he probably gets nervous because everybody knows it's coming and there's a certain anticipation. Maybe that throws him off.

That's all I can think of.