1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nachbar

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AGBee, Apr 18, 2007.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He sucked on offense for us, too. And a pretty talent deprived New Orleans team decided they didn't want anything more to do with him, either.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Nachbar = Toni Kukoc - BBall IQ - passing - consistent shot

Boki just got stuffed from behind by TJ Ford.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is going to be a GREAT series.

Boki is going to make noise next year..

4. haven

haven Member

Yes, but all sorts of players suck on offense if they're not given enough minutes. Just kind of the nature of the beast for "rhythm" players.

That said, Nachbar ran the fast break better than any other player on our team. It was laughable how much better at it he was than our ostensible PG, Francis.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Boki nails a three...

6. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Nacbhar just imposed his will on the game in crunch time and single handily beat the raptors.

7. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

That was a huge play.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can learn to play defense much more easily than offense.

Boki just needed someone to believe in him and give him a chance, he should be doing this in Houston.

DD

9. Major

Major Member

Except he also sucked with Rudy as his coach, and in New Orleans, and in New Jersey last year, and in New Jersey the first half of this year. That says that's he finally figuring it out, rather than being denied because of a particular coach or system.

10. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

He's playing well at the end of games...and he's doing just that right now!

I'm impressed by his overall game

11. haven

haven Member

Very well could be that he needed time.

But you're arguing a bit against a straw man, here, of your own creation. I've never asserted that Boki was this good in Houston. My contention, rather, is that JVG's system would not have given him a real chance to succeed.

I don't think Houston screwed up in letting him go - just not a good match. Maybe, even had the offense been different, Boki still would have needed the time. I'm not arguing otherwise.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think JVG makes his decisions on playing time based upon primarily defense, especially with role players.

I think defense is a lot about effort, and can be taught more easily than offense.

Boki SHOULD be doing this in Houston, and yes, his defense is still not great....but it is adequate.

DD

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Boki unstoppable, this guy has ice in his veins, when the pressure is on he exceeds expectations.

14. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

adequate for NJ maybe, but not adequate for the Rockets/JVG

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

DD u know you're my man 100 grand, but why should a team wait on a 21 yr old euro playing proball overseeas? We're not talking about a high schooler and euro's are a reason why teams take them because of the pro experience. Its 5 yrs later and he's just now becoming a evg player? c'mon. I wish the best for nachbar and he's been playing ok all season. Had he been able to beat out ryan bowen, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

16. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Wow Boki looked awesome out there! I really think he will get elected into the 2008 All Star game and be a future franchise player for the Nets after Carter is done.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Barry would've never got on the floor if that was the case.

I get the feeling JVG is one of those coaches who trust their players. If a player has this trust he'll keep his playing to through thick and thin, ie even through horrible extended slumps in form. But if you're on the outer you get the criticism even if it's unwarranted and the only hope of breaking into the rotation is through another player's injury.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats pushing it man. i think he will be an above average player, but not an allstar.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

he does, I hope he has a great year next season, he has the talent

20. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I follow Nachbar more than any ex-Rocket; and anyone here who downplays his contribution to the Nets simply hasn't watched him enough this year. Yes, he didn't play well at the beginning of the year, but that had to do with minutes and a lack of trust carried over from his short time with them last year, as others have stated. He's better on defense than people give him credit for, rebounds well for a small forward, is long enough to play power forward at times, and leaks out well on the fast break. His success might have to do with being more involved in high pick and rolls or more freedom to move around the arc. To be fair, that generally points (outside of Phoenix) to a less-structured, mediocre team, which isn't to say he wouldn't succeed with a contender; although I could see a comparison to Carlos Delfino, and his minimal success, as a counter to that claim; and I still agree with those who say he wasn't a good fit with the Rockets, for any combination of reasons mentioned.

He's been consistently good to the point that Lawrence Frank's had a hard time balancing Richard Jefferson's ego v. Nachbar's greater efficiency with regard to minutes, despite what the former's performance today would indicate. I think he'll be looking at a mid-level exception contract once he's a free agent

A couple other things I find amusing about his success this season- the Nets PA's call after one of his buckets,(which I can't accurately describe; and a recognition to the point that national announcers refer to him by his affectionate nickname "Boki." That's an underappreciated development.