1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we have a shot at Carter next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket Freak, Dec 30, 1999.

1. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

I believe he has a three year rookie contract. It would end next year the exact time Hakeem is going to retire.

With our young team and young talent, I think he might want to join up with our guys.

An added bonus is that he might be voted on the olympics which will be coached by none other than Rudy!

Ofcourse everyone wants him, but with all the money we get to use with Hakeem retiring, it is something to think about.

Anybody have any ideas about this?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Rookies signed after the new CBA have a 4 year contract..not 3.

DaDakota

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I believe Carter signed his contract before the new CBA, in the summer before the lock-out. So it would be under the old rules. Nevertheless, I think we have no chance of getting Carter. Toronto is progressing very nicely, why should he want to leave?

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

they may shoot themselves in the foot if they trade tracy mcgrady. they are cousins, and though not before, they are close now. that might be enough to make him consider leaving.

of course, i'm wishing very, very hard. i said it when he was in north carolina. if you want to talk about a "next jordan" look towards vince.

vinsanity!!!

5. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

VERSE......my thoughts exactly.......you have not even seen have of what Vince can do...in the Rockets game.......he was actually really bad.......his shot usually is not that off......SCARY THOUGHT EH?

------------------
    $$ out $$

6. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

he may have changed his mind but i remember seeing an interview of carter last year and he pretty much said he intended on spending his whole career with toronto and that he was very happy there. don't expect him to go anyplace else. he's classy and i think he wants to spend his entire career with the same team.

7. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

I don't think any big name free agent would want to sign here unless they knew the future location of the team. That won't happen until an arena referendum is passed.

8. popeye

popeye Member

Carter will be in Toronto for a while. A long, long while.

McGrady's resigning in Toronto will not happen despite being a distant cousin to VC. I had predicted that McGrady would be gone from Toronto before the New Year and I will likely be eating that crow in another 48 hours or so. But make no mistake, McGrady wants big play time and big dollars. Toronto has other plans and other needs.

BTW: I seriously doubt we would ever get close to Carter in any suggested offer or trade. McGrady may be a different matter. There were a considerable number of offers between the Rockets and the Raptors over the last three months. Presently dead as a blued-eyed mackeral and very doubtful. But who knows in this topsy-turvy season.

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited December 30, 1999).]

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

POPEYE WHAT WERE THE OFFERS ?

10. 34dream

34dream Member

Yes, popeye, do not always speak in miracles.

11. popeye

popeye Member

Francis and 34Dream
    The offers were varied and included a number of different combinations. They all were over several weeks ago,closer to September than November, but the striking thing was that they were offered Mobley in almost all of them.

The actual sequence was posted here off and on as they unfolded. I think all but two of the offers were "denied" or "not confirmed" by official sources at Rocketland.

I don't think I would include Mobes in any offers for McGrady now. Cuttino's stock has risen considerably since then. McGrady's stock has gone down somewhat and the Raptors have decided to hang on to him for a while.

But as I said, he will not be in a Dinosauer uni next year,regardless of play,price or attitude. IMHO,anyway.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

How high is Cat's value/worth currently?

Use whatever measuring stick that you can.

Mango

13. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

hey quick question sir popeye, remember awhile back you were sort of sad about a deal that did'nt go through, do you think you can mention the names now?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rocket Freak,

Rookie scale contracts are for 3yrs with a team option for the 4th. This started with Carter's draft class. Sorry, can't imagine Toronto not picking up that option year.

Valdez
    The lockout happened in the summer to interfere with the free agent contract signing season. All contract negotiations were suspended and no rookies were signed. Thus, all player moves that year and new contracts happened after the new CBA was signed.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 03, 2000).]