1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone with experience walking-on to college team

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by LAfadeaway33, Jan 23, 2007.

1. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Does anyone here have experience walking on to play a college sport? I am trying to do so in football and I am wondering what the routine was like for those who have done it. Any experiences and input would be appreciated.

2. IVFL

IVFL Member

The best advice I could give you would be to go to an assistant coach, preferably the recruiting coordinator, if you know who they are. They will know every step that you need to take and papers you will need to fill out. Its different in basketball, but I think most non major football teams are not going to deter you from playing, they are just glad to have more body's to work with.
    Also if you dont know who to talk to, go ask the football secretary if they have one. They will point you in the right direction

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was at UH when Drexter began coaching there. My roommate ran track and wanted to walk-on to the Basketball team. They weren't taking walk-ons then so he never got a shot. I think he just contacted the basketball office. Should be easier for football though like IVFL said.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

My nephew walked on at Duke University this past fall. He had to survive a pre-season camp and he's in-- on a limited basis. No traveling. He basically gets to wear a uniform on the sideline at home games; he doesn't even warm up with the main squad I believe.

But he is loving it and having a great time. I'm sure more superior football schools have a more stringent try-out process. Which school are you considering?

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Tulane...I know, with a crappy football program you would think I wouldn't have a huge problem but I had worked things out with the coach to get a tryout and then he was fired. He told me they usually only take prefered walk-ons so it would be tough for me to make it and I decided I would rather study abroad anyways. I got out of shape but I am now starting to have second thoughts and would like to speak to the new coach about trying to walk on and hopefully he's in a position where he will take anyone willing to be a tackle dummy.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

GREAT movie, love it.