1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Randy Moss to NBA?....LOL

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Oct 9, 1999.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Moss, Garnett as Wolves teammates? Friends say it could happen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DON BANKS STAFF WRITER
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The tandem of Randy Moss and Kevin Garnett is a dream pairing of heavyweights in terms of their marketing and endorsement potential, in the Twin Cities and beyond.
    But what if the duo were to extend that dream pairing to the basketball court on behalf of the Minnesota Timberwolves? A far-fetched notion? Maybe not.

According to a source close to Moss, he has shared with friends his desire to suit up someday alongside Garnett for the Timberwolves, playing in the NBA during the NFL's offseason. Moss, the second-year Vikings receiver and former standout high school basketball player, would in essence be available for the second half of the NBA season, from February on. Moss has no timetable for embarking on his two-sport career, but the source said it is a move Moss might consider in the not-too-distant future.

Moss was asked in August about possibly starting a two-sport professional career like one of his heroes, Dallas cornerback Deion Sanders, a former outfielder with the New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds and San Francisco Giants.

``I don't really want to get into it now,'' Moss said. ``Maybe next year or the year after that. I just want to master football right now. But I can play football, basketball, baseball, and run track. . . . When I know how to master the game (of football), I'll take a few weeks off from football, then play.''

With phenomenal jumping ability and sprinter's speed, the 6-foot-4 Moss was twice selected West Virginia's Mr. Basketball at DuPont High in his hometown of Rand, W.Va. He was the state's football player of the year only in his senior season, and his basketball exploits often overshadowed his football achievements. Moss lettered three times in football and basketball, with one letter each in baseball and track and field, and attended the prestigious Nike basketball camp. He had many college scholarship offers for both football and basketball.

``Given Randy's athletic ability, he wants to keep the door open to all opportunities,'' the source said. ``His desire to play NBA basketball is real.''

Moss is a childhood friend and high school teammate of Sacramento Kings guard Jason Williams, an NBA lottery pick. Even Vikings coach Dennis Green has often noted that Moss' electrifying athletic skills would easily allow for a career in the NBA. Basketball was briefly a topic early in Moss' Vikings career, when he sprained his ankle playing hoops two days before the team's May minicamp was set to open in 1998. Moss sat out that minicamp with a cast on his ankle, and according to Green, the injury hampered Moss' play his entire rookie year.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah i heard about this. Randy Moss is dumb he should stick with Football.

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

I wish Brian Jordan stuck with football.

If Moss joins the NBA wouldn't he have to at least declare for the draft or something? And wouldn't he want to play with his buddy Jason Williams in Sacto?

4. RWUASL2

RWUASL2 New Member

Doesnt any reporter know to put in a story like that that moss wears air jordans? it true

5. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Speaking of baseball, maybe the Killer B's should be called the Bungle Bee's. Just awful.

To keep it related to basketball, good thing Hakeem didn't pull a Bejjio, or Clyde shots were not flowing from a Brickwell. Boy the Rockets sure kept the town from being a eternal disgrace to the sports world. Oh, well, hooray for Buffalo!! And at least we had our Rockets and used have a team called the Aero's, from what I hear.