1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kobe on Arenas' 60 pts game: "he took terribe shots"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsMac, Dec 19, 2006.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

"But him individually, it's funny," Bryant said. "He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful.

"You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time."

2. Hiroshikun

Hiroshikun Member

Kobe is just jealous Arenas didnt pass to him to jack for Js ;).

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Kobe is right. Arenas takes terrible shots and usually he misses them more than he makes them.

He's shooting something like 42% for the season. The guy is a volume scorer.

FYI, he's taking slightly more shots than Kobe this season and making a good percentage less of them.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Arenas is leading the league in 3 pointers made, just looking at field goal percentage in almost totally irrelevant when judging if he's efficient or not.

For the record, he isn't a volume scorer. He's fairly efficient, but not one of the most efficient players. You have to adjust for the fact that he shoots and makes a ton of 3s and he gets to the line and makes a lot of free throws.

He's definitely a chucker (he shoots a lot), but he's a good chucker.

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Half of the crap Kobe throws up there should'nt go in. He is just a terrible sport plain and simple. Him individually, its funny. I only see him play a few times a year, so I am not used to terrible sports, but man, he is terrible. Awful!

Gosh I hate that guy. I should'nt say this, but I wish his career would end so would could stop hearing about his rapist butt (allegedly)

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

He might be a selfish player, but his talent is rare in the history of NBA. This year looks like he is trying to cut down taking bad shots and get his teammates involvled. I sometimes do enjoy the amazing stuff Kobe put on.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes, Gilbert's shooting % is down this season but that's because he started the year off terrible. I don't know what was wrong but he wasn't his normal self. The Wizards were crumbling. For the 10 games in December he's at 47.5% overall and 38.9% from long range, both of which are excellent for someone averaging 30 pts/game. Plus he's shooting about 10 FTs/game. We can only wish Tracy was this efficient and aggressive.

He throws up some dumb shots but he makes enough of them too. His shooting range is limitless but he also takes it to the basket and gets to the line. That said, I'll have to admit Kobe is more disciplined in his shot selection. Good for him, but the Gilbert Show won the game in LA and that's what counts. If Kobe takes the challenge and tries to D him up next time by playing him tight, Gilbert will go right around him.

8. justtxyank

For what it's worth, I do think Kobe should have kept his mouth shut and I'm not a fan of his as a human being.

And A_3PO I do wish Tracy was at Gilbert's level. I am convinced that Tracy is no longer a good player though. Talent wise, I think at this point he should be a facilitator and nothing more. His shot is terrible and he can't get to the hole at will anymore.

9. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

are u serious? did u watch his last game before he got injured? the guy was taking it to the hole aggressively and his shot was falling like before. the guys still has 4-5 good years in him. call me a dreamer, but I think Tmac will be up to an MVP candidate in the upcoming years and he will take us to at least 2 championships. Tmac is still a superstar, he just needs to get his mental focus back on his old self and forget about all the "playmaking" bullSh!t ..

10. justtxyank

I hope you're right but I just don't see it. I'm not saying there won't be games where he "feels it" and can dominate like his old self. But that is just a mirage and is common in sports when a player is losing his "stuff." Babe Ruth had a few big games after he became an overweight slob who could barely swing a bat. He was not however the player he used to be, he just was able to channel what he once was on one night.

It's like the Toby Keith song. "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

11. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

"You know, at the end of the day, all the shots that I take I practice. It's not like I just go into the game just throwing up shots. I work hard. I'm in the gym every day. I practice my shots. Before every game I shoot 100 threes. You know, I get to the gym, I shoot 100 threes so I feel comfortable taking the shots I take.
    Out of that whole game I probably took two bad shots. And, for me not to have a conscience? You're right. When you're an assassin, you don't have a conscience. At the end of the day I thought he didn't have a conscience, but I guess he does.
    For the best player in the league to downplay what I did... I guess, I don't know. I give him all the respect in the world. He is the No. 1 player in the league, by far. It's like that. You don't need to try to shadow box my 60. It was one of them nights when I was clicking and everything was going in so, I ended up having 60. That's all there is to it.

How can you go back at a guy who scores 45 every night? You can't. There's no point of it. There's no point.
    We know who he is.
    I know who he is.
    I'm a big fan, I'm one of his No. 1 fans, so there's no point in even throwing shots at him." - Gilbert

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Kobe is an ass; he doesn't put in all that work for the love of the game. He puts it in for the love he has for his own name in lights.

Completely hypocritical to try and dog Arenas for having a good night.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That was very unsportsmanlike on part of Kobe. That statement reeks of jealousy.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The whole idea Kobe taking shots at a guy for dominating the ball too much and taking shots most guys wouldn't is freaken hilarous.

It is like I certified narcissist criticizing another for being full of himself. And yes I have known some to do so.

15. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Haha...Once a phonie always a phonie. I love how all the Kobe lovers here who are blinded by his phoniness site that Kobe is a cold blooded assassin who will try to kill you on the basketball court but will RESPECT you if you play hard and are dedicated to your craft. His statements are full of jealousy and classless, no respect there.

Was Kobe guarding Arenas? One the things I also hear so much is that Kobe is a GREAT defender...haha, it is easy to be a great defender when you can body someone up, reach in, hit your arms, rape you, and never get more than 2 or 3 fouls called against you a night, but when someone so much as breathes on him, a whistle is blown.

Anyone else hear Arenas' interview on Rome? He seems like a genuine nice dude and is pretty funny. He said something to the effect that he yells out "habachi" when he is in the zone and on fire like the other night (referring to the habachi grills being the hottest things).

He also said that he plays some kind of poker game at halftime (after the coach's talk) to keep his mind focused and working rather than relaxed by listening to music like the other dudes.

#35 Rivaldo2181, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  16. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

"Asked how the Wizards' guard scored so many, Bryant said, "First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think about that.""

Um, Kobe, the night before, you took 16 free throws while the entire Rockets team took 11 (including Yao with only 6 on 35 FGA). The A-hole actually looked up the stat sheet to figure out why Arenas outplayed him and ended up looking like a hypocrite.

The Lakers fans love for Kobe is comparable to a Giants fans love for Barry Bonds. The guy can do no wrong. Seriously, he quits in Game 7 and fans are still chanting "MVP" for him.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Kobe is just an arrogant and selfish player. :mad:

18. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i think the most hilarious thing about the responses in this thread is that there isn't one kobe supporter. i mean yeah that guy can score at will, but wtf he's hypocritical when he blames arenas for taking bad shots. the guy's a ball hog and we all know it. where's that one kobe lover? hahaha still id take arenas over kobe any day, even if he's crazy.

19. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I think that's really great. nothing pisses me off more than ignorant Kobe supporters. unfortunately, I have a couple of them in my school and they keep chasing me around going "did u see how many points Kobe dropped last night?" and "what happened to your boy Tmac?" . they just kill me. :mad: :D

20. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

There are plenty of them on this site, hence my signature. It was really bad a few weeks ago after kobe had that huge game in 3 qtrs and T-Mac was struggling. It's sad to see how so many have turned against T-Mac, who when healthy is as explosive and MORE dangerous than Kobe b/c he is unselfish.