1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duncan AND Hill....Together? Now that is Scary.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Oct 10, 1999.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Key to title may well be agent Lon Babby

DETROIT - Until Grant Hill came into the league, Lon Babby was unknown in Michigan.

Now he can single-handedly help the Pistons to an NBA championship.

Not in the way you might think.

Babby can't play center or run the fast break that coach Alvin Gentry is emphasizing. Heck, he can't even coach.

He's less than 5-feet-9, wears glasses, and easily could pass for a college professor.

But he wields more power right now than even billionaire owner (Silent) Bill Davidson.

Babby easily could rival the might of super-agent David Falk and demand a free half-court seat at the Palace and a spot on the team's plane.

That's because Babby is the agent for Grant Hill, his first major client.

He's also the agent for Tim Duncan, the best player in the NBA and MVP of San Antonio's championship run.

And he's the agent for Christian Laettner, the Pistons' starting power forward.

Last but not least, Babby represents Jerome Williams, who will be an annual contender for the NBA's sixth-man award.

Duncan, 23, and Hill, 27, two of the league's best players, Sprite commercial buddies, clean-cut youngsters and former Atlantic Coast Conference foes, will be free agents next summer.

Duncan has said he wouldn't stay in San Antonio unless the Spurs leave the cavernous Alamodome for a cozy new arena.

The team's push to make that happen is hitting a bunch of snags.

Meanwhile, the rebuilding Orlando Magic and Chicago Bulls are preparing to make a run at Hill and Duncan. Chicago will have roughly $18 million to toss out.

Among the Pistons, Magic and Bulls, the Pistons are closer to winning an NBA title. With Duncan and Hill, the Pistons automatically would become leading championship contenders.

Babby could make it happen. So could Hill.

If Hill decides to stay in Detroit, he and Babby could convince, persuade, beg Duncan to become a Piston. Detroit could start him off with a salary of $11 million next season, aided by the departure of Bison Dele.

On the court, Duncan has made close to $6 million combined in his first two seasons. Hill, who has made a tidy sum from Fila and other endorsements, would have to sign a one-year deal for about $3 million to $4 million, then skyrocket to a seven-year deal that could earn him as much as $105 million.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, Hill would jump to a new salary level after next season, based on his experience.

Hill is an unselfish person, and he would accept less money to bring a talent like the 6-foot-11 Duncan to Detroit. At this point, money is less an issue with Hill than winning a title and being surrounded by good, if not great, players.

Charles Barkley made the same sacrifice to bring Scottie Pippen to Houston last year, though it didn't pay off.

Duncan means titles. It's time for Pistons management to roll the dice and make a huge deal.

Duncan already has seen the Pistons' practice facilities from his days as a member of the U.S. Select team. When he comes to the Palace for a game Dec. 3, everybody had better put on a happy face and make sure the guy sees a team hungry for the title he won in his second NBA season.

Babby and Hill could steer Duncan toward Motown, but they also could sway him toward Chicago or the weather in Orlando.

If I were Pistons president Tom Wilson or vice president Joe Dumars, I would be exceptionally nice to Babby about now. Take him to dinner. Fly him on Roundball One. Tell him how much they love his clients Laettner, Hill and Williams.

It might be their best hope of winning another title.

Man, a frontline of Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, and Jerome Williams would have to make the Pistons the league favorite to win it all. Just imagine if that Stackhouse-Francis deal had gone through...Francis, Duncan, and Hill. Now that is scary.

I can remember another time the two were close to being on the same team. I remember last season hearing on the radio that the Pistons were rumored to be offering Grant Hill for David Robinson. The Spurs rejected the trade, which to me made zero sense. Good thing they did.

2. mayur

mayur Member

That is scary, but in SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many words . . .

------------------
    In the tune of the Star Spangled Banner:

Whose veterans and bright news stars, thro' the perilous playoffs,
    O'er the compaq center we watch'd, were so gallantly playing?
    And the ROCKETS' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof thro' the night that our team was still there.

- Long Live The Universe's Greatest Basketball Team!! -

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It'd make a scary paper team, but I'm betting it wouldn't win the championship anyway. Something has changed about the Pistons organization. I don't think they can win a championship. I'm afraid a Duncan-Hill line-up would be much like the Wizards' line-up: big-name players playing .500 ball.