1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Aldridge] What Bonzi's "Personal Issues" were...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFAN3035, Nov 8, 2006.

1. RocketsFAN3035

Hey guys, I don't know about you, but Bonzi's lack of playing time is a concern for me. Then I heard this.

I was watching highlights on NBA.com, and I clicked on a segment by David Aldridge. Aldrige is reporting that the reason for Bonzi Wells lack of playing time in the pre-season and even now was reported as "personal reason." Appearntly while Bonzi was nursing his groin injury in preseason, Coach JVG asked Bonzi to come with to the Dallas game to be with his new teammates and basicly build the unity thing up since he couldn't play. Bonzi declined, and JVG asked him to stay at home and think about staying at home permanatly. Bonzi decided a few days later that he would play, has gotten himself into better shape, and has played a few minutes here and there thus far in the preseason.

Aldridge is a reliable source. Very reliable. So this begs several questions:

How does this affect the Rockets?

Can they get by without Bonzi (not as far as if they had him I say)?

Do the Rockets look to move Bonzi?

Will he ever get onto the court and get significant minutes or has he been to far lost in JVG's dog house?

2. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Sucks because I was always a fan of Bonzi Wells. I think he could have really helped us. But whatever... This does sound like something Bonzi would say/do.

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

i was going to post this but you got it before me. he is a chemistry killer... if this is true, why the hell did he decline? this situation is getting worse.... i think we should look to trade him and juan (if we can) for someone. seriously...

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

That sounds about right. He must have gotten that groin injury when his ahem got stuck up his ahem.

Hey, Bonzi! You're overpaid.

5. compucomp

compucomp Member

And we thought he was going to be on his best behavior because he was in a contract year. Turns out he's sulking because of his crappy contract (the opposite reaction.)

Hopefully he figures it out and starts contributing. It is possible for a player to climb out of a coach's doghouse. He did get some minutes in the regular season so it can't be as bad as it was when he missed preseason time for "personal reasons."

6. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Well looks like my prediction wasn't too far off now was it?

Whatever, it's his loss. Was never really that excited about the Bonzi signing than some on this board were in the first place.

However, the question is, what next for Bonzi? If he's gonna screw up like that in what is essentially another contract year, he's just gonna drop his stock even further, and it already is underlining his notorious reputation as a locker room cancer.

7. choujie

choujie Member

Derek Anderson all over again. Hope Rox can get a couple good draft picks for trading Wells.

8. uomerock

uomerock Member

Don't you guy get it. Jvg keep him in dog house, so next year no one wants him for big money. And yet that PRECIOUS belongs to Van GUNDY AGAIN.

9. yobod

yobod Member

I think we need to look at the name of the video before drawing any conclusions here, which is, Aldridge reports on what he believes to be the real story behind Bonzi Wells "personal matters." I would like to emphisize the "what he believes"

10. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

I think this is being over-done here. Bonzi will get in shape and help the roxs by midseason. Relax

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Hopefully Gundy can check his own ego for the good of the team and not pull a Derek Anderson with him.

Bonzi is too good a player to **** this situation up.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

agreed. too early to tell anything

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Really?

Not saying I don't believe this or that it isn't true, but DA has had his share of Vescey-isms.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How would Aldridge even learn this information? If there was such an exchange between JVG and Bonzi, it seems like it would be just between them.

15. cmellon

cmellon Member

Whatever happened, JVG should really exercise his person management skills. If he can bring the best out of someone like Bonzi, then that's a true measure of a good coach.

Make no mistake, Rockets truly need Bonzi in his best to contend. People who say it's Bonzi's loss etc doesn't really understand that we need the guy. I just hope everything works out finally

16. RocketsFAN3035

Off the top of my head, I hadn't recalled any. I always remember reading his stuff when he was still with ESPN and always seemed to be dead on, and I'm disapointed that he doesn't write anymore (at least that I know of). That was a pretty bad statement for me to make, because, honestly, who is accurate 100% of the time when reporting?

From what I've read of him, and off the top of my head, I believe Aldrirdge to be a reliable source.

Not that I disagree with you or anything Jeff, but just out of curriosity (if you can remember off the top of your head), what has he gone Vescey-esque on? If you don't have anything, no big deal, but its really bothering me that I have no idea what your talking about and I feel like an idiot backing him if he's been known to be off. Just want to file it away for my own personal use.

17. chonox

chonox Member

maybe jvg called him a fatty and he got offended

18. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Cut the cancer from our team before it spreads. :mad:

19. johnrox

johnrox Member

no, filing it away so your ego won't be bruisied.

he wasn't giving you a stuff in the face, don't be so sensitive.

does he have to give you every article so you can feel happy?

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Interesting to see how this will unfold. Unfortunately Bonzi isn't the type of guy where we can say, 'No way, Aldridge, that would never happen!'

Whether it's true or not, I still don't like Bonzi's attitude 'I don't need the preseason, I'm a veteran and I'm always ready it's no big deal.' I think we're all aware of Yao's work ethic. Tmac, who at least I still consider one of the top guys in the game, played the entire preseason. I guess they needed it more than you, huh, Bonzi? :rolleyes: