1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]RJ - I'm not one to spread rumors except about Lee, Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by geeimsobored, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

My wish list for the Astros is Soriano, Molina, and Schmidt...but this is not going to happen. What I would give for just one off season where the Astros made two or three big acquisitions. I know before the 04 season they signed Pettitte and Clemens, but Clemens was a special deal and Pettitte took a lot less money to come home. Also, dont forget all of that was made possible by dealing one of the most popular Astros in Wagner.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

2 or 3 big acquisitions...let's go for Doug Drabek, Greg Swindell...oh wait..

3. likeamockinird

likeamockinird Contributing Member

Ensberg sucks. He takes too many pitches and can't hit worth crap with the game on the line.

4. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

He still had an on-base percentage just shy of .400. He was 4th in the MVP voting last year for the NL. You don't just discard talent like that, IMO, especially when we need offense.

5. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

That's cool.

People can believe anything they want. I'm fine with that. However, I'm a fan too, & Scott (to me) seems wayyyy better tempered in the box, & more polished as a hitter, as opposed to fidgety 'ol Morgan, who seems to change his stance after each whiff with a runner in important scoring position. Yes, he drove in some runs. One year up, one year down. :confused: A little better consistency would be nice.

But .. like you said, the voting, the all-star games. I don't know. I just have a good feeling about Scott. That he's earned the right to be an every day player, blahblahblah.

I've never really liked Ensberg. I clamored for them to trade him over the summer.

I thought, & still think, that those good years were a bigger fluke than his bad ones. Still kinda bitter about his disappearing act in the WS last year.

That said, I hope he's an all-star Astro next year. If he stays, I mean.

I like Huff better than him. Way better. Would like to see him to stay over Mo, if that's what it comes down to ... although, even with Mo's credentials (former all-star, 4th in MVP at one time,) I bet we'd be lucky to get a very average player for him. I'll throw out two names just to be stupid ... two former 'Stros ... David Weathers, & Preston Wilson.

I bet those teams wouldn't even take an Ensberg for ___ straight-up deal. That's how much I think his stock has sunk.

6. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

forgot about those guys...good one.

7. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

just wanted to echo this thought...i f'n hate richard justice. what the hell was that???

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My main problem with sports articles by Richard Justice is I can't tell if the article's about sports or if the article's about Richard Justice. Since it's about half and half maybe the Chronicle should cut his paycheck in half.

9. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Considering that it's a blog... Justice is free to talk about himself as much as he wants.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And that's exhibit A for what's wrong with the Chronicle. They actually believe that people care about the sportswriters themselves. We don't.

11. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Take it from me guys... Lee is good when it doesnt matter. But when you get runners in scoring position or you need that big hit...Lee isnt the guy you want. I saw so many opportunities for Lee this season as a Ranger, and geez. This guy would just ground out when we needed a pop fly.. If you do get him, then I hope you dont mind him breaking out for the cycle in a 10-2 loss.... Im tellin u, this guy is another A-Rod..... If you guys could get someone like Michael Young...Then damn I would be goin nuts as a Stros fan. Ohh well heres to the Texas (including Houston) teams in 07..

12. msn

msn Member

Exhibit B, to repeat myself redundantly again, is that these hacks have college degrees, training not accessible by your average Joe, years of experience, and access to the people and places of sports beyond anything the average guy has, yet they don't say a thing that I couldn't have said at the water cooler. What a freaking joke.

When a guy with the resources, education, and access Richard Justice has sounds exactly like a whiny 11th grade dropout calling SR610, we have a serious problem.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rangers fans are used to so much offense... they don't understand that sometimes you don't score with a runner on third with less than 2 outs. I don't think the Astros fans would have a problem with that.

If Lee is another A-rod... sign me up.

14. msn

msn Member

That is funny on so many levels.

15. Buck Turgidson

2006 & 2002-2005 Batting Average:

Men on: .291, .283
    Man on 3rd <2 out: .560, .390
    RISP: .331, .300
    Close & Late: .345, .295

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's it... no more taking advice from Rangers fans.

btw... that Chris Young + Adrian Gonzales for Adam Eaton trade looks like an absolute steal for the Padres. Too bad we couldn't have packaged Backe (similiar numbers to Eaton) to get it done.

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

This just in, Richard Justice is still an idiot.

18. msn

msn Member

LOL. What can *I* do to "get the Longhorns back to the BCS Championship Game"?? I guess, according to Dick Justice, it might happen if I "concentrate" more??? BWWAAAAAAAAAHAaahahahhaaaaaahaaaa!!!

*snort* Muh *snicker* teeehee HA! har

BWWAAAAHAHAHAHHhahahahahahahHHHHAahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Thanks for the entertainment, you sorry excuse for a journalist.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree that we don't stop at Lee, as we need pitching and it would be nice to get a catcher...I know Brad is here, but c'mon, there's got to be someone better...