1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stem-cell decision key to trade for Rice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Stem-cell decision key to trade for Rice
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

President Bush's speech endorsing federal funding of stem-cell research set in motion the Rockets' trade of Shandon Anderson to New York for Glen Rice, Coach Rudy Tomjanovich told reporters Thursday night.

"We were sitting around the table watching the speech," Tomjanovich said. "The minute the president gave the thumbs-up, I picked up the phone and called New York."

The Rockets had conducted extensive negotiations with the Knicks for Rice's services, but Tomjanovich said several concerns on the part of the Rockets had held up the deal.

"He's old, slow, and doesn't really play defense," Tomjanovich explained. "Also, we need guys who are big and can play down low and grab some boards for us. He doesn't have any of that."

Over the last week, however, Tomjanovich began reading about stem-cell research and became intrigued by the possibility of applying it to Rice.

"They're saying it can rejuvenate organs, tissues -- you name it," Tomjanovich said Thursday. "It makes your body more like that of a younger man. Some guy on TV was saying you could transplant it into bones and make guys taller. The more I thought about it, the more I thought we could work something out with Glen."

The hitch, of course, was that Bush might put an end to the research. Once he made clear that wouldn't happen, Tomjanovich placed his call, and the deal was done.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Hell, if that's the case we need to get Hakeem back and sign Barkley...

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And here I thought Rudy wanted Rice because he's a vegetarian.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

well I be damn....

5. 3pointer

3pointer Member

LOL ................... too bad Hakeem is gone......... we could of use it on him.

6. vmall

vmall Member

7. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Mad Scientist,

While you are in the lab, see if you can find a heart and a brain for Cato! Oz hasn't helped.

:D :D

8. Rockettebustier

damn bro, i just had like a de-ja-vu clutch city moment! freaky!