1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WBC: China vs. Slovenia

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yipengzhao, Aug 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I can't understand why you felt the need to start a debate on which goal is more important to him unless it is for insecurity. Does it really matter? He has stated that both are his dreams. If one should be more important ... will he give less than 100% of himself for his second favorite? NO. He is an athlete and competitor who sacrifices his body for both causes. If he should win an NBA championship it is really asinine of you to suggest he would be less gleeful. He is a competitor after all.

2. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Well said. So far Yao has been doing his best to go after both goals and that is why he's busy whole year long. He is a great Chinese citizen and a great professional BBall player. We all see how hard he tried to come back from surgery to help CNT, and we also saw that how he played without TMac last season knowing he was the only hope of the team at that time to make playoff - a mission impossible.

Reporter, 'What's your ultimate goal?'
    Yao MIng, '2008 and a NBA Champion!'

3. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Yeah actually I think you're right. What you said just struck some sense into me.

Sorry for starting the off topic debate. Never expected that to result from my short post earlier. :p

4. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What's big fuss about it? He wants both. Yao said it numerous times. Why should we fans ASSUME based on our own imaginations. Those 2 goals do not contradict with each other. In fact, they are the same. Ultimately, Yao wanted to be the best player and leader, so that he could lead his team, be it CNT or Rockets, to the ultimate glory. What's wrong with that? Why does one have to pose like, i only care for my country, and i just get paycheck from my profession. Anyone has that kind of attitude, is not a professional, much less a patriot. Do the right thing is more important than say the "right" thing to please a group of audience.

Don't assume Asian players are patriatic. Chinese soccer players always say the right thing, do they care for anything, except for themselves? US basketball players are normally not too excited about international games. First, because it was usually weaker competition; second, they have too many good players.

Yao as a great person, athlete, and a true professional, gives his best in every single game he plays. what else are we asking for? Certainly he will be very excited and proud if CNT wins, but what makes you think a NBA ring, the highest reward in professional basketball to an individual would make him less happy. We should we be less happy for him?

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Let's just cheer for his success.

#344 real_egal, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  5. Qwertyque

Qwertyque Contributing Member

Yao has been doing quite well. I hope that he performs well for the Rockets too! :)

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

After watching that game and seeing Yao stand up to those Puerto Rican punks, I'm becoming a YOF. Watching Yao do the things he's doing, I get so excited that it scares me a bit. First credit has to go to Yao. Then Jeff Van Gundy. Then Anthony Falsone. All three have a lot to do with Yao and where he is at and where he is going. The way things are looking right now with Yao, MVP baby.

7. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

OMG! Texas Stoke a YOF??? Someone hacked into your account, Taxas Stoke. :D

8. Texas Stoke

I'm having this realization that I saw YOF's everywhere because I was one myself. I was the damn YOF. I'm just dealing with it the best I can right now.

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

That would be Yao's biggest achievement in this WBC tournament. Miracle, simply miracle! :D

10. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

I'm glad Puerto Rico didn't qualify. I like the Slovenia team 10x more than the punky Puerto Rican team.

11. Texas Stoke

Please. Don't poke fun at me. This isn't easy. ; )

12. Texas Stoke

Yeah, they're out there to try to intimidate. They had Lebron looking at the floor a few times.

just by watching them against the US you know they're looking for a fight.

I hate that kind of 'I can push you but if you push me back...' attitude.

It was a pleasant sight to see Yao stand up and not take any mess.

13. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

You probably had it backwards. It's more like CNT is Yao's work where he serves his country and national interest and Rockets are his family. When there's a conflict of interest, Chinese expect you to put your country before your family. In Yao's case, the CNT before Rockets. However, the current trend is that more and more Chinese start to realize that it's a crazy idea to think of sports compitition as national interest, and take things less seriously.
    On anoter note, I'm not an American, but I don't think Americans care more about their work than they do their families.

14. brasss

brasss Member

Isn't everyone a YOF relative to the CNT? haha.