1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Confused about Matt Albers...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SFrancis3, Jul 22, 2006.

1. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

I am confused why we would take one of our top pitching prospects (who is a starter) and skip AAA to bring him to the big leagues. Then we do not use him two straight days.

If we are barely going to use him out of the bullpen, why not leave him in the minros to develop as a starter? The dude is nasty and I am just too confused at what the astros intentions with him are.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Skipping AAA is not a big deal. He may have been brought up because the Astros feared a rain delay would cause them to scratch a starter early in a game.

3. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Purpura said he will be giving the bullpen help. I just do not think it is worth rushing a top starting prospect to let him come up here and not pitch.

Only thing I can think of is maybe he is going to be put in late innings when we have the lead?

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not uncommon to let a kid just brought up for the first time to watch for a couple of days, let alone in New York.

5. MykTek

MykTek Member

it's just like when we brought up Roy Oswalt a few yrs back, he jumped from AA to the majors and pitched out of the pen....looks like Albers is on the same track....

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

How hard does this guy throw? What's his best pitches?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Low 90's fastball and a good changeup.

8. likeamockinird

likeamockinird Contributing Member

Does anyone know what his numbers were in the minors?

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

10. kevwun

kevwun Member

Roy didn't skip AAA. He wasn't there long, but he definitely played for the New Orleans.

11. MykTek

MykTek Member

sorry about that, i thought he skipped AAA, but i looked it up and your right, but he was on the fastrack to the major's....he was in the minors about 5 yrs.....so maybe albers is on the same path....