1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phoenix Camp?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 4chuckie, May 7, 2001.

1. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I thought there was a camp for college seniors last week in Phoenix? Was I mistaken or does anyone have any info to how it went.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

go to cbs.sportsline.com/nba and click on draft central on the right...

btw, there's an interesting quote from day 4:

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I hadnt seen much of Chandlers play I had thought that he might turn out to be the dilemma that is presently JOnathan Bender. Of course, Bender was selected fifth though.

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Achebe,
    that's interesting that GMs are shying away from superstar projects. I think that's a good trend, even though it's due to an emphasis on quick results. High schoolers do not need more reasons to come out early.

------------------

5. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

I did notice that most of the first round of mock drafts I have seen are rated more on potential than past performance and that the basis for rating the second rounders was grounded more on past performance.

Maybe the draftniks and GMs should talk more.

------------------

6. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

With that said, would you guys take Chandler? I mean, he could be our big-time frontcourt player of the future. I would if a lot of the other players the rockets need aren't there.

------------------
    Greatness is not a
    singular act, it is a
    habit. You are what
    you repeatedly do.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets may not have the opportunity to draft a player with this much upside potential for quite some time.

The other side of the coin is that HSers take time to develop, may take several years before they are ready to start, and may take 5+ years before they reach their potential, which is just in time to sign a big FA deal.

------------------

8. Achebe

It's not unheard of for HSers to fall b/c of immediate need. Last year DeShawn fell down to the Jazz's pick... and he's probably one of the 5 best players from last year.

------------------

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Deshawn didn't really "fall" as he was almost always thought to be going around that pick (and most mock drafts had Utah taking him).

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Just curious, why do you think Stevenson is a top 5 player from last year? I have seen probably every minute (and those were few and far between) of his NBA rookie year. I think there were a lot of players from the draft that outplayed him. Jackson (does he count?), Peterson, Cleaves (played well and even was starting for a while), Fizer, Magloire, Kenyon Martin, Desmond Mason, Darius Miles, Mike Miller, and even Turkoglu all got significant minutes and had productive years.

Granted, he very well could turn out to be the best player from that draft, but have you seen enough of him to say what you said?

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

11. Live

Live Member

True, the same can be said for Kobe and McGrady.

But we're talking about big men here, not wing players. I wouldn't be surpised if one of the HSers is available when the Rocks pick, but I truly expect all of them to be gone by then.

------------------

12. Achebe

True Hobbs. I guess it would have been better for me to give the analogy of Olumide and other guys. We all start the draft season staring at nbadraft.net and other mocks and start to assume that those mocks are infallible. I started assuming that Tyson had the stuff merely b/c the mocks had him between one and three on any given moment.

I have equally no draft workouts or viewing of Tyson now, but I'll just as erroneously now say that he won't be a top 5 pick as I would have said a mo. ago that he was a top 3. [​IMG]

Hoop-t: I live in UT. I watch basketball. Don't make me say the words. lol.

I have watched DeShawn alot more than I've watched Magloire or Cleaves or Kenyon or Jackson or Miller or any of those other kids. Actually I started watching him b/c I was in the midst of talking to Carroll Dawson when Carroll stopped himself to turn to coach Sloan and compliment Stevenson. Though it may be unfair for me to compare Stevenson to a bunch of other kids that I haven't watched I'll just say that DeShawn has alot more potential than Michael Dickerson. He's smooth, fast, strong, etc. The only thing holding him back is Jerry Sloan... but even then so he's ultra confident. I watched a game where he had the mismatch, beat his man and dunked the ball and Sloan benched him b/c (apparently) he didn't pass back out to Stockton.

Next chance you get (next season hardee har har) you should check this kid out. Watch his athleticism. Look at his upperbody strength. He's bigger and stronger than Cuttino, more confident than Dickerson (though not as spastic as Cuttino) and is ultra fast (he has to work on his shot selection). I'd actually take him over Cuttino (w/ comparable experience) merely b/c of his strength... hell, he's even getting ready to go work out w/ Malone this summer.

After that all he has to do is work on his fg%age and shot selection. [​IMG]

------------------