1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors Approaching Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oschadha, Feb 22, 2006.

1. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Yeah, a tweak here or there may help us climb to the playoffs, but it will NOT help us become a Championship contender. Honestly, our scoring (on any random night) will stink. Sometimes we'll have good games from Luther, or from Wesley, Howard, etc. But NONE of them are consistent. And without the third threat, we're sunk. We've seen what happens when TMac can't get going, or the other team tripple-teams him and he doesn't get his points--or when Yao is not on --> WE LOSE.

So I really don't think we can overestimate the need for a 3rd scoring option. Sure, defense is important (like all the great teams), but remember that those teams can also rack up points!

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dooling is on the books for 2 more years after this one with a PO on the last year. He is making 3.1M. Diener is a minimum salary guy.

EDIT: Keep in mind, inaddition to Anderson's contract, we also have a Trade Exception worth around 3M from the Moochie deal.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Dooling would be a good pick up, IMO.

4. sloan

sloan Contributing Member

trades that i would love to see and have immeidate impact :

Seeing Seattle trading flip murray to denver for watson

how about we send wesley and DA to Seattle for forston and evans

then send

swift to NO for jr smith and claxton

We would answer i needs for a rebounding and tall athletic defender

while we are wishful thinking how about howard and sura and TE for Marbury

yao/mutombo
    evans/forston/hayes/lampe
    t-mac/bowen
    marbury/smith/head
    alston/claxton

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Here's the wish That nonsense about Lakers and Mcgrad{/b]y is actually DA to the Lakers.

Think about it, every season we have guys who suppose to contribute sitting out but occupying roster spots, then you have guys should never see the floor, no wonder this team isn't deep.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was with you until that Starbury deal....

8. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

We do need a reliable third scorer, desperately, but it isn't so easy.

The Rockets can't rely on jumpers; they have to get to the rim, get to the line, which means they need a SG who can (preferably create his own shot and) penetrate. Alston can penetrate, but isn't a particularly good finisher. TMac takes over 7 FTs a game, surprisingly, since this year he has seemed to settle for the J more because of his back, presumably because of his back problems. Anyway, 7+ is very good, but you need another slasher. And no, Mike James wasn't the answer, because you need a guy who can score through penetration while Alston is on the court to run the plays. With Sura on the court to run the offense and guard SGs, James would have been excellent, but he doesn't fit without a big PG next to him.

The real problem is that while they need a guy in the mold of Ricky Davis or Manu or Larry Hughes, they didn't (and still don't) have nearly enough cap room to sign guys on that level, so they went with DA, who might have fit that roll, except that even when he was healthy, at the beginning of the season, it seems as though he wasn't physically capable of being that scoring spark anymore. Too banged up I guess.

Some cheaper options like Flip Murray or Jiri Welsch would be great, but I looked through the players some on espn; there aren't many other options. If they can pick up a Stackhouse or Murray or Welsch or someone of their ilk in the offseason, that would be wonderful. I don't know if anything can be done before the deadline. Murray is available, but what do the Rockets have that fit the needs of the Sonics? I can't think of anyone. We all like to pretend that teams would love to have J. Howard, but it just isn't the case. As for Swift, well, I still think he's worth working with.

So that's my thinking.

Best,

Michael

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I disagree. Alston's got a VERY reliable teardrop floater. The only thing holding him back is that he doesn't always have the mentality to attack the rim. Rafer tends to be too unselfish out there. I'd like to see him become a legit 3rd option and learn to balance making plays for others and looking for his own shot. I think the more he plays next to Yao and Mcgrady, and the more he gets comfortable, the more he'll realize when he needs to assert himself a little more.

A slashing two guard couldn't hurt either though.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I wonder if we could get that guy Keith Bogans. :eek:

11. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

i have a feeling no trades will go down
    bc we are not going to part with jhow or
    Dwes we just cant and those are the only people
    teams want packaged with da or slomile
    teams wont take slo and da they want da and wesley

12. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

I think we jump at any opportunity to part with JHo. His contract is awful. Runs thru 08 at 7+ million per year.

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The jury's still out on whether Bogans can be a consistent offensive option.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Dunno.....from what I have seen of him so far, if the jury is hung, then maybe they should be. :cool:

15. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

why didnt we get rid of him for cassell at the deadline than last yr. or traded him earlier this year, teams dont want him but i know atlanta would take him they do NOT want al harrington.

16. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

I honestly don't know. I guess last year our cirumstances were different. Maybe minnesota backed out of the deal. Who knows But you do agree that his contract will give us problems down the road. With his current skill set, the max he is worth is 4 million. If you know Atlanta will take him, please use your connections to convince the decision makers that be to consumate the deal.

17. askball

askball Member

I don't know if LA would do this but how about a Luke Walton for DA deal. I tried this on ESPN Trade Machine and it worked if LA threw in Brevin Smith or something also. I know Luke isn't the greatest offensive threat, but he is a good passer and more importantly a fantastic post feeder. Also, I hear that LA is looking for a backup swingman so hopefully they would consider this.

18. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More skilled version of Ryan Bowen. Can handle the rock and pass it. Plays with energy. Can't shoot, and is mediocre defensively. Less spazzy as well.

19. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

no more trading for idiots who cant shoot. bowen is more than enuf.

20. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

bring in sprewell :p