1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Clyde retire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ace, Nov 25, 1999.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

This might be a little old, but why did Clyde Drexler retire?

When he did, I didn't have an internet connection so I never really heard much about the Rockets here.

At the time, I just though it was because he felt it was time to go. Recently, though, I've been hearing that he quit because he couldn't play with Charles. Although I heard rumors of that being true, I never really felt like it could be true. However, with Charles' recent spat (if you can call it that) with the other players, people started to name the Drexler fiasco to support arguments that Barkley is a cancer.
    I also heard the Rockets were planning to waive him. This can't be true, right?
    I mean, how can you waive Clyde Drexler??
    I just heard about the fact that he did retire and I watched the few Rocket games they show here, but I never heard the rumors on NBC.
    So if any of you guys could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets enter the lottery with dignity

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited November 25, 1999).]

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

All I can tell you is he saved the Rockets from having to make a tough decision. They were clearly heading in a different direction, one which didn't include paying Drexler big bucks. They needed the cap space, and it would have been tough to let Clyde go. He saved them from having to make that choice. Do you wanna be loyal to Clyde or do what's best for the team?

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clyde retired to save the University of Houston basketball program.This is a crucial time for Cougar hoops as C-USA is turning into a basketball power.He passed up mucho bucks to do this.This is the kind of man Clyde Drexler is.....U.H. has one of the top 10 recruiting classes in the country coming in next year.
    Happy Thanksgiving,HH

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Drexler was pretty much forced into retirement , Houston didnt really want him and he wanted out in class and to finish in Houston .