1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peter Vescey: Knicks set to trade Stephon Marbury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hakeem06, Nov 11, 2005.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

From the Knicks' website:

Holy crap. My washing machine's spin cycle can't keep pace with this bio...

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*cough*cough* Get out of toronto to not be in Vince's Shadow *cough*cough*

Rocket River

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what do you expect the team website to say? "Our GM sucks, he has damning pictures of ownership so they can't fire him. He ran this once proud franchise into the ground"

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He didn't play in Tornonto, Isiah couldn't have made a good draft pick.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hell yeah, wasted my 2nd pick for that bum. I'm all for him going cancer in a team like Orlando.

6. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

That's how one should write a resume: All the details, including dates and names are all correct, just lie a little bit about results and reasons, and some other big issues, not to mention any failures.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

here it is

November 11, 2005 -- ISIAH Thomas, Larry Brown and Stephon Marbury, of all people, had to know it would come to this.

They had to know the arranged marriage between the consecrated coach and the self-ordained "best point guard in the NBA" would end in a messy divorce. They had to know the perfectionist teacher, as impatient of dumb mistakes, slow learners and individualist inclinations as you'll find in any classroom, and a player yet to confirm he's concerned more about the standings than his own standing, would collide head-on. If Marbury's genuinely cared about winning he never would have forced the up-and-coming Timberwolves into a trade with the Nets; the reason being Kevin Garnett was the man with the mega-salary and Stephon was destined to ride shotgun, poor dear, for the league-lowered max.

They had to know this wasn't going to work because it already hadn't worked in Athens. Because of Larry Brown's burgeoning relationship with Isiah Thomas, who passionately pitched Marbury for one of the 12 spots, the Olympic coach pressured the selection committee to choose him. By the time they reached Europe for exhibition games, the relationship had curdled. Soon after, two sources substantiate, Brown wanted to send Marbury home.

He wasn't the only one. Brown also wanted to distance himself from Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, validate sources. I'm not sure who he had in mind as reinforcements. It's not as if the National Guard was on call with several suitable replacements.

At any rate, Anthony — like LeBron James — was unreceptive to Larry's purist precepts inside and outside his cathedral. Iverson's sin, it's disclosed (a non-revelation if there ever was one) was being late by a minute or two, no more, for a team meeting in Turkey, his second misdemeanor; the first got him benched for a game in Florida with Tim Duncan sitting beside him in civvies for the same infraction. Intriguingly, Duncan was late as well for the Turkish meeting, beating Iverson into the room by 15 seconds or so, testifies my source, yet there was no talk about getting him on the next plane to America.

In any event, Thomas had to know importing Brown to become the Knicks' latest savior would ultimately lead to Marbury's deportation. Even Isiah Lord Thomas can only cater and curtsy to one franchise person at a time. Stephon had his way and sway for 11/2 seasons. Now Larry has all the juice.

This isn't Detroit, where Joe Dumars "fairly effectively" handles the affairs of the Pistons' front office (along with John Hammond) and isn't really all that interested what personnel his coaching staff would prefer to manage. This is New York, where Thomas brought in Brown to save his job and might wind up taking it.

Click to learn more...

When Thomas dealt Michael Sweetney to the Bulls as part of the package that secured Eddy Curry, he dispensed with the last remnant traceable to previous team president Scott Layden. In less than two seasons Thomas dumped every single player. Now it's time for Brown to start dumping Thomas' players.

Not all of 'em, mind you. For the time being, it appears, the young guys are off limits, odd since none of the acceptable building blocks will ever be mistaken for a foundation. Marbury may not be the first expulsion but he's positively the primary priority. He's also the thorniest and most challenging, especially if there's any intention of recouping a resemblance of star power.

In reality, the process began a couple weeks ago when feelers were put out there. Certain teams (I can't get more specific without risking sources) with explicit needs were notified by Thomas and Brown they wouldn't be averse to moving him.

Why give up so soon on trying to reform Marbury, by far the team's most explosive offensive player? Because Brown has seen this movie enough times during the Olympics and training camp to believe it's played out.

Either Thomas truly feels the same way or it's a case of, "whatever Lola wants, Lola gets." One way or the other, Thomas is telling people he's still Marbury's biggest fan, BUT "the guy's almost 29 (Feb. 20) and it's obvious his habits aren't suddenly going to change at this point."

Allen Iverson and Chauncey Billups, Brown's last two imperfect, playmaking pupils, were able to adjust relatively quickly to Brown's style of passing three or four times per possession before hoisting one up. Meanwhile, Marbury continues to struggle during his second brief tour of duty under Brown's exacting tutelage. Wednesday night in Portland was his worst performance of the infant season. He melted in the pivotal third quarter, committing three of his five turnovers, and scored only 13 points in 38 minutes on 3-8 shooting. According to an eyewitness report, Stephon was conspicuously lifeless on both sides of the sphere.

On the surface Marbury is virtually untradable because of his seamy salary, $15 million this season, then $17M, $19M and finally, $20.98M. So it seems, anyway. Still, in case you've forgotten, this is the NBA, where nobody is untradable, no matter how much they're on the books for or what beast of baggage they're toting.

If there were a taker for the Cavaliers' Shawn Kemp and the Sonics' Vin Baker then there's certainly a team out there willing to provide the right atmosphere, coach and complementary cast to bring out the best in Marbury, a team ready to take a gamble he's been misunderstood and not utilized all these losing (exempting Phoenix) seasons.

As Blazers GM John Nash is fond of saying, "I can trade anybody in this league. You just might not like what you get for him."

The difficulty, impossibility, perhaps, as Nash notes, is getting something or someone of consequence in exchange. Realistically, the knucklehead Knicks aren't remotely in position to make any demands for a player whose value is rapidly diminishing and can capsize a budget almost by his lonesome. Logically, Brown will have to put up with Marbury's leisurely learning curve and hope better days will come, or accept the sweetest smelling refuge being offered.

Then again, the Raptors might want to swap Jalen Rose (comparable salary, two years shorter), but I suspect Marbury might as enthused about joining Toronto as Alonzo Mourning was when the Nets exorcised him.

Who knows, the Sonics are staggering; how ironic if Marbury wound up playing alongside Ray Allen, the guy he was originally traded for on draft day '96. The Hawks definitely can use help, but they've already invested big in 6-8 Joe Johnson; the league limit is one over-handling point guard.

Are the Magic open to dealing Steve Francis? Sources say yes, but not for Marbury, I submit; surely Orlando's sights are higher.

The Nuggets? They've already got a surplus of point guards and if Brown can't coach Marbury, what makes anyone think George Karl would like to try? How about reuniting Garnett and Marbury in Minnesota? It's a thought; the T'Wolves might be tempted to give up Wally Szczerbiak, but they seem satisfied with free agent addition Marko Jaric.

I've got one more; Thomas tried to get Jason Williams last summer when he was with Memphis and White Chocolate, er, Milk Dud, certainly isn't untouchable now that he's in Miami. Thomas also tried to get Michael Doleac ($2.6M, $2.6M, $3.1M) back after trading him two All-Star Games ago; he's exceedingly available as well. Problem is, the Heat would have to kick in either Antoine Walker, James Posey or Udonis Haslem in order to conform to salary cap rules, and I don't see that happening. But you never know.

If I were a skeptic, I'd remind you, while Next Town Brown's current crowd is 0-4, his previous pit stop is 4-0, the league's last perfect play station.

Who says Brown and Marbury have nothing in common? Both have the unique ability of making their old employer better.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Starbury for Doleac, Walker and White Chocolate
    is
    just
    plain
    frickin
    SICK!!

Rocket River
    I will be obligated to hate the Heat if they pull that trade

9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

lets see vescey....he's played about a total of 10 to 20 games under larry. look how long it took iverson to get to where larry wanted him and it took billups about half a season. give the guy some damn time. it's just obvious to me that everyone is making steph the scapegoat for just a flat out bad bball team. you put some good players around steph, he'll win games. he did in phoenix with a rookie amare stoudemire, and shawn marion. i'm just tired of people in the media blaming one guy for eveything. and that goes along with tmac, vince carter, kobe, iverson, francis. it's never just one person destroying something or rendering it useless. you can't just replace one single person and make a team a champion. it never works. it's take a NEW TEAM.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Starbury makes every team worse when he gets there, and teams improve when he leaves. He's the ultimate Me-1st, And-One player who puts up good stats, even good assist stats, but doesn't make any of his teammates better or play winning basketball.

11. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

^^^
    this coming from sam cassell....

anyway, did anyone see the video on nba.com where vescey starts off saying he only believes half of what he writes anyway....this guy is just talking out of his ass.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Marbury does have a bad rep. He was certainly to blame for the fiasco in Minnesota, but the team was obviously NOT better when he left. Sure, NJ got better after the Kidd trade, but that's because they got Jason Freaking Kidd. It has more to do with Phoenix being an idiot for trading Kidd for an inferior player. Also, Phoenix didn't get better because Marbury left. In fact, they sucked pretty bad for the 1/2 season after the trade. They became good because of very smart front office decisions. They got JJ in the trade, and spend the Marbury capspace wisely on Richardson and Nash.

So with that said, I'd be ecstatic if CD can somehow trade our expiring contracts and picks for Marbury. He may be a ballhog and a headcase, but he's extremely talented. Just watch our last 3 games to see what "untalented good citizens" can do.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The bio doesn't have to be so... positive. Leave the embellishment and lies out (i.e. be neutral). That's really not so hard, is it?

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'd take 1 sam cassell over 5 marburys.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Anybody know what JVG thinks of Marbury?

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think it's important to keep in mind that those teams weren't/aren't built around their shoot first point guards, as the Knicks are.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'm not a big Thomas fan, but to be fair he inherited a LOT of bad contracts from the Layden era. Most of them considered unmovable.

18. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

^^^^
    yeah, and he traded ALL of them away, and they still have a monsterous payroll and crap talent. the only good pieces on that team are marbury and rookies channing frye and nate robinson. only 3 players worth keeping.

19. leehoang

leehoang Member

I'd say he has a bad rep, he said this himself, he thinks he's the best PG in the league...

Are you serious?

Not one person who knows anything about basketball will say Stephon Marbury is the best PG i the league...

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

knicks are getting burnt by a kirilenko and boozer-less jazz right now. okur throwing down the 3 bombs.