1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKETS NOT Y2K COMPATIBLE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CaucasionSensation, Nov 22, 1999.

1. CaucasionSensation

My freinds Y2K is rapidly descending upon us, and the Rockets are about as Y2K ready as Russia. Yes we are having a meltdown. A painful lesson in the overlapping of styles, the aging of legends, the realization of the difficulty of shooting, sophmore slumps, and ultimately how truly difficult it is to create a champion.

Unlike the witty Dr. Robert and his followers of transcendant thinkers. My base animalistic elements are screaming to me right now. They are saying, "send Mack, Drew, whoever, whoever. Screw this present line-up give me a new one." Bring me Rider and hopefully Coles. But this we all know is Russian Roulette.

Trigger happiness for me is at an all time high. Thoughts of Sugar plums and fairies this holiday season no longer dance through my head. Besides I'm 18 and know better than that. In their place however I see Eastbay funk dunks (What Rider won the dunk contest with, between the legs), and windmills, and terror upon the court as Francis and Rider strike hearts into the fear of men everywhere.

We'll just sell out hearts to the devil right, and bring his dunking pitched forked butt aboard right? WRONG!

As much as I would like to see the spectacle that is Rider come and dunk for us, it simply won't happen. Why? Cause Francis, I'm sure the Rockets are concerned, is an impressionable feller. While Hakeem, so used to whispering in Nigerian "Not in my house" while on the court, would utter such things and more off the court upon Satan's arrival. Barkley would punk J.R. too if he came, that is, if he has any time between his weekley speeches talking himself out of a championship.

But Rocket fans it is getting a little warmer by the loss around here, and that's only cause this team slowly but surely is making it's descent into hell.

And we all know what Rudy, Carroll, and Les do when this near death experience begins, THEY TRADE.

Visions, of lotto balls at halftime of some NBA on NBC game on some Sunday distant from now, are just about the only thing that sustains me. I can see it now, they cut away from Hanna Storm, Peter Vescey, Bill "I hope they never find my stash of weed" Walton, and Dr. J. As time ticks down, we wait and it comes down to us and the Bulls for the number 1 pick, and after the commercial we are granted the prize, leaving Jerry rolling on the floor, weeping, like a fat little child, whose head met the sharp corner of a table. Rockets fans in unison will then shout "Chris Porter is ours."

Ok calm yourself, really, I didn't mean to tease.

NO. NOPE. NYET. Not happinin'. Do you hear me? Do you see yet? We just aren't patient here in H-town. Not me. Not you. Not Rudy, or Carroll, or Les lest we forget. We tasted that trophy and the sensation lingers all to sweetly. We won't go into rebuilding immeadiately, not with Hakeem still around. Not without a change, will we stand patt beyond the all-star break while the current level of play persists. NO. NO. We may not choose the devil, but we will choose something.

Yes, yes, for in the end we will trade mark my words, Conttrol-C and V them if you'd like. Rudy doesn't like a losing record, as now many of us beyond the silly Caveman are liking Rudy less and less. He'll trade. All the signs are there.

The usual suspects will use their frequent flyer miles here shortly. Williams will pack his bags as there is no excuse for not performming night after night. Mack will eventually get a new start elsewhere, and Drew is defininantly available too. You can throw in Kenny Thomas if the other team wants, him, because everybody knows this kid's just not gonna see time here. And yes don't completely count out Anderson and Mobley if a deal hinges upon it.

There are stars and some superstars right now being dangled like earrings, and the Rockets are shopping. Grant Hill, Mashburn, Hughes, you know the list. This current Rocket organization does not like ping pong balls, and will instead trade headaches with someone.

So who (based upon the trade belief as opposed to ridin’ this dead horse all the way to the lottery) will the Rockets trade for? What steps will we taken in the coming months too make a bad team a good one?

------------------

jacoby, Lost in the World and Clutch like this.
  2. rock

rock Member

Good Post CS...

As much as I would like to see the spectacle that is Rider come and dunk for us, it simply won't happen. Why? Cause Francis, I'm sure the Rockets are concerned, is an impressionable feller. While Hakeem, so used to whispering in Nigerian "Not in my house" while on the court, would utter such things and more off the court upon Satan's arrival. Barkley would punk J.R. too if he came, that is, if he has any time between his weekley speeches talking himself out of a championship.

Rider's presence would f**k up the Rocks chemistry. He's had problems everywhere he's been, so even if he did move here how could it be successful. Good point about Barkley.

Williams will pack his bags as there is no excuse for not performming night after night. Mack will eventually get a new start elsewhere, and Drew is defininantly available too. You can throw in Kenny Thomas if the other team wants, him, because everybody knows this kid's just not gonna see time here.

I agree that these guys need to get hauled on out of here. But what could we get for these players? Shandon and Mobley need to stay, however. How are we going to rebuild w/ key players getting traded away. Those guys are our future.

[This message has been edited by rock (edited November 22, 1999).]

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Nice post, Caucasion.

Shandon Anderson is untouchable though. If they trade him, you can kiss ever getting a free agent again, goodbye. Besides, I am happy with his production so far.

I too think they will deal. They have shown they are not afraid to make changes, but I think the real question is not, "will the trade?" it is, "do they have enough to trade?"

I am sure they are trying because there are more marquee names on the block this year than I can ever remember. Names like Finley, Hughes, McGrady, Richmond, Mashburn, Hill, Rice, Howard, maybe even Marbury...again.

A trade for most of the above would benefit us greatly for the future, but GOD please, DO NOT become impatient and trade for Rider or Richmond or Rice, looking to win it all now.

4. CaucasionSensation

I am fairly certain in my reasoning that Marbury won't be traded. The guy may have a problem with his ego, but I can more easily see others on that team Gill especially going first. They really need Jayson(did I spell it right) Williams to be healthy.

I am also, somewhat suspicious about Finley leaving, only reason I have heard is that he has just grown tired of Big D. But wouldn't it be awesome to have him aboard.

I'm still really hoping we can trade for a backup point guard, but I think Rudy is still too fond of Drew and complacent cause of that.

5. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Caucasion,
    Nice job of creative writing (no pun intended). But Mobes over Shandon? Put down the pipe (pun intended)! I absloutely love Mobes for what he is-a 1-2 guard that can play 20-25 minutes at two positions and do so effectively. But no way is Mobes a starting 2 anywhere at this point in his career.
    On a more serious note, why is Hughes on the block in Philly? He must have really pissd of the Larry Brown or the team to get put in trade speculation. I think he's good for the Sixers, but is his downside Rider-esque? While Rider's on the table, I'd never take him. I would seriously have done the Hakeem to Toronto trade before I shipped Bryce Drew away for Rider. And Bryce doesn't compare to Steve Kerr (who he saw himself as becoming in his career), much less to Rider when looking at talent and ability (not position obviously). I have said it before in another post: get somebody like George Lynch from Philly. Shandon and Francis are too tempting in the backcourt with Mobes splitting time at the 1-2 off the bench. Think about Lynch and his place on this team if he were here. I swear he fits. I wish he could shoot at a distance, but he'd fit here. As a side note, who are the available 2-3 spot SHOOTERS that are compatable with the run and gun offense? Rider can shoot (us in the foot if we sign him); Finley can't hit water from a boat form the three point line and he just doesn't seem to be leaving Dallas-I wish he was here because of his other attributes). My point is that we need a 2 or 3 or a 2-3 player, but what can we get?

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Hmmmm....I don't see much chemistry out there as it is. Can't screw up what's not there to begin with. But on the other hand..Rider is a jack*ss and will probably wreak havoc wherever he goes. I can see him now...whining about wanting to be "the man"...on a team with 2 hall-of-famers and a (hopefully)rising superstar...

7. CaucasionSensation

My only thing with Shandon is that I think if the Rockets can get a better all around two guard (Rider, Hughes, Finley, Whoever), they might want a two guard of our own, along with Mack, and or whoever, and I would rather let go of Anderson, the terrific scrapper that he is, instead of Cat. Cat was lookin' good last night by the way.

Williams is gone, if he doesn't come to play soon. The high hopes that the Rudy had for the guy are no doubt turning more and more bitter. I thought the guy would flourish here.

------------------