1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atkins - Again !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jul 25, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well,

As many of you know I am a big proponent of the low carb diet...Atkins or South Beach...either are great.

Well, I lost 30 pounds a couple of years ago on Atkins and kept it off for well over a year, then I broke my ankle and went back to my lazy coca cola drinking ways....and low and behold in 12 months, I was back to my big ole self.

So....without further adeiu I am back on Atkins...and am in the moderate Ketosis stage in only 4 days...already down 4 pounds, on my way to the 30 pounds slimmer DaDakota.

I am also dragging one of my employees with me....and he is deep purple already.

There are lots of new low carb stuff out there in the way of treats, and the new Crystal light individual packets rock!! You take a bottle of water and put one packet in and you have lemonaide (Low carb of course).

Anyone else out there....on the Low carb train?

DD

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For life. Not looking back.

3. drapg

drapg Member

That's the problem with the Atkins. Its not a lifestyle change that people keep for 50 years, its a fad thing.

4. DaDakota

I totally disagree with you, I made the switch, but got lazy........all it is....is a way to understand your bodies chemistry and how to use it's natural processes to maintain your ideal weight.

DD

5. droxford

droxford Member

Throw some exercise in there, buddy.

6. DaDakota

No doubt....now that my ankle is fully healed - it took a year to fully heal - I am heading to the Y for some noon time hoops.....

DD

7. No Worries

Diabetics would disagree with your assessment.

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

sorry to hear about your ankle injury dadakota.

i broke (shattered) my leg, between ankle and knee, last christmas and only started to go back to the gym last april. i put on some weight too during healing time, it was a very depressing period.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm not claiming to know a lot about this, but doesn't your body need a good portion of carbs if you are excercising regularly? I've always thought that carbs were a good (and necessary) thing when excercising....you just need to stay away from too many of the high glycemic carbs.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Congrats on the good start DaDakota.. Goodluck with the rest..

11. droxford

droxford Member

The fitness expert that helped me (Keith Klein) wrote this article about why low-carb diets don't produce long-term results.

In a nutshell, he states:
    1. if you do too much low-carb, your metabolic rate may slow down.
    2. Much of the weight lost will be water. If you fall off the diet, your body may start to retain water.
    3. if you fall off the diet, your body starts to horde carbs, resulting in greater weight gain.
    4. While on the diet, the body starts to turn protien into glucose for energy, instead of giving the protein to muscle and tissue growth and repair.
    5. low carbs tend to make muscles lose their density and flatten out.
    He lists other reasons. It's a good read, and I can tell you firsthand that they guy knows his stuff.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I lost about 75 pounds on Atkins, after which I chose to indulge myself a little more. Now I basically eat what I like but watch my weight, and if I start to gain I hop back on the low carb bandwagon for a while. Seems to be working okay for me.

13. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

The guy who invited this diet died from using the diet. Its acutally a big loss but not very healthy. You are souposed to get like 75% of your energy from carbs. Taking that away and replacing it with like bacon and stuff like is mildily dangerous.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From what I recall the guy died after falling. Did you hear otherwise?

15. DaDakota

Sorry, but this is just incorrect...Atkins died because he slipped on some ice and hit his head.

You don't cut carbs out permanently, just during the diet, then you watch what you eat when you get off of it.

It uses your bodies natural fat burning process to force it to burn fat for the necessary energy......it lowers Blood pressure, and cholesteral.

I have had many friends use it and all with good solid results....my problem was sodas and french fries....just ate them too often.

DD

16. No Worries

Diet did not kill Atkins. Exercise did.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Fruits and vegetables have carbs dont they? Isnt it just a certain carb you are supposed to stay away from ? Like breads, refined sugar, or whatever ?

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I could never do it being a vegetarian. Just wouldn't work for me. They are in the process of a long-term health study of Atkins dieters. I'll be interested in seeing the results of that.

To each his own. I know many people who've done Atkins and ended up putting all the weight back on. And there is nothing to indicate that an Atkins diet for the rest of your life is entirely healthy, excluding diabetics, but since the majority of folks aren't diabetic, that argument simply doesn't apply.

That's why I'll be interested to see the long-term study results.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, you found an excuse to not do the diet and gained all your weight back.

Sounds familiar. I think most everyone else who was on Atkins did the same thing...including myself.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Atkins? PFFFT!

You need to discover the power of juice!