1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how to gain weight the right way?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rock, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

For years, I weighed 150 pounds and I am almost 6'3". Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to try to gain weight, especially the "right type" of weight. But I want to know how old you are, rock? The reason why I ask is that it wasn't until 2 years ago or so that my metabolism starting to slow down a little bit. And even then it still hasn't slowed down that MUCH. But I started lifting weights seriously about 3 and a half years ago and I now weigh around a solid 200. But even then, I wouldn't consider myself heavy - I just got toned that's all.

But in the short-term, what droxford said and BigM, too would be the best thing for you unless you want to wait until your late 20's and be lifting seriously for 3 years or so to see any positive effects. Good luck to you.

2. forebay

forebay Member

are not we talking about an asian wizard here?

different ethic groups have different body types.

I, on the other hand, is 6 and 200lbs. am I too fat?

3. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Im 5"11 and 140. I really dont gain weight wether i want to or not. I think im like 7% Body Fat.

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

4-5 times a day of meals is good. But if you want to gain lean mass you are going to have to up the calories. Im eating 4-5 times a day with a 2200 cal/day. You should shoot for 2600-3000 if you are super active. I think you are doing a good job on the carbs which give you energy. However, it seems from your post you are not eating enough of lean protein- fish, chicken, lean steak, etc. It's important that you get enough protein. You can eat 1 gram of protein/ weight in pounds. So right now that's 162 grams for you. (ie 4oz chicken breast = 28 grams of protein. Of those 162 grams of protein, it's best to have 80% of that from animal protein...meaning the other 20% from egg whites or whey protein. I suggest doing some shakes. There are some great protein powders out there. Choose the one with the most whey protein per serving but low in carbs and fat grams.

5. benchmoochie

Actually for lean mass it's not necessary to do this...

what i do is
    day 1 - chest n triceps
    day 2 - cardio (40 minutes jogging)
    day 3 - back, abs n biceps
    day 4 - cardio
    day 5 - legs
    day 6 - shoulders
    day 7 - cardio

You don't need that much cardio. If you do that much cardio, you will be burning muscle as well. Your meal program will ensure your metabolism is up to speed.

What I suggest is all the big movements: chest--bench press; legs - squats; back - t bar pull backs, lawn mower rows etc.

Those BIG exercises will also work your other muscles when you are doing them. ie squats you basically work your back inadvertently doing it.

Anyhow, I suggest this schedule

Day 1 Legs
    Day 2 Chest
    Day 3 Off or light cardio, basketball , racquetball etc.
    Day 4 Back
    Day 5 Shoulders
    Day 6 Off
    Day 7 Arms.

You do not need a day off bt day 7 and day 1.

However if that's too many days for you just do

Day 1 Legs
    Day 2 Off
    Day 3 Chest/ Biceps
    Day 4 Off
    Day 5 Back/ Triceps
    Day 6 Off
    Day 7 Shoulders

You can do triceps with chest if you want but note you are using your triceps during chest.

6. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I'm 6' and 161 lbs. My weight in high school was in the 135 range, and I gained my additional weight normally, working, getting older, whatever.
    I'm 27 now, and I had gotten up to 169, with a little fat on me for the first time in my life.
    I now go to Bally's, and do cardio and lifting, and take protein shakes too. I trimmed down a lot of the extra fat, and have gotten stronger.
    However, I seem to be stuck on 162 lbs.

My diet probably needs more of everything.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is that you? ;)

[​IMG]

8. rock

rock Member

I'm 23. Metabolism high as ever!

9. rock

rock Member

by the way, thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. i am going to put to use the advice given to me and hopefully i'll stop hearing people tell me how skinny i am. i'm freakin determined!

mike

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

well, good luck to you, I guess. I'm pretty skinny as well, and used to be sensitive about it, but I can't say I'm extremely sympathetic to your quest to put on muscle. But I don't live your life, and so I'm cognizant of the fact that just because I'm fine with being skinny doesn't mean you should be.

However, I do want to remind you that being healthy is more important than looking good. Eating right and exercising regularly is more important than having the perfect body. Fortunately, being healthy usually does help you look good. I hope you come out of this experience feeling good about achieving a goal and picking up some good exercise habits more than I hope you suddenly become a hit with the ladies with a new buff frame.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

you're right. i know that i'm over training, but the thing is that i like doing all those cardio work. i'm beginning to feel like if i dont go to gym for one day, i'm being lazy. is it possible for cardio work to burn into muscle first and not fat first? i do cardio (jogging) on an empty stomach first thing i wake up in the morning.

maybe i should cut down that 40 minute jogging (usually about 6 km) into something shorter but more intense? like HIIT?

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trader_Jorge
    The_Conquistador recommends a protein shake...

I am still laughing...

13. pchan

pchan Member

so if I want to gain weight, i have to eat like SIX meals a day? :eek:

I guess I would just be skinny for life.

14. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than to say I originally read it as "How to gain the right of way"

It confused me for a few seconds before I reread it.

15. benchmoochie

It doesn't matter how many meals a day you eat. However, if you are trying to eat 3000 cals a day, it makes sense to eat 4-6 times a day unless you want to eat 1000 cals/meal which would be really hard on your digestive system and food preparation.

Metabolism speeds up if you eat smaller, more frequent meals.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

wait, red meat is ok long as it's lean right?

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

:tearing up: preach on brother

18. droxford

droxford Member

Ok....

[MORE RANT]

Do you know who the worst people are for making comments? Fat women! I cannot tell you how many times a fat woman has walked up to me and said, "You're so skinny!" If I'd had any balls at all, I would have responded with, "You're so fat!"

And many others say, "You should be thankful that you can't gain weight." What a mindless statement. If someone is miserable about their weight, it doesn't make any difference if they are fat or thin.

The only encouragement I might have gotten would be that there are far more health risks if you're overweight than if you're underweight. But that still doesn't make you feel good when the whole world is ridiculing you.

Here's a true story: I met a man about a year ago - my friend was introducing me to his brother-in-law. He introduced me and I said, "How ya doin?" The first words out his mouth were, "Damn, your legs are skinny! Where did you get those legs!" This was last year. It weighed 175 and was 35 years old. It's not just kids picking on the skinny guy. Adults have no problems making stupid statements like that. My friend was embarrassed and apologized to me. I told him not to sweat it - it wasn't his fault, and I've heard that crap my whole life.

[/MORE RANT]

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I disagree with this advice ~ you should in general stay away from very heavy weights IMHO.

A motto posted around my gym to keep people from over lifting and tweaking muscles/ joints/ etc:

Lighten up and grow

20. benchmoochie

Red meat is okay if you cut all the fat off. But for your cholesterol -- egg whites, fish, chicken, shrimp,beef (thats best to worst)