1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top five best videogames of all time...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Apr 1, 2005.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I liked that series as well; in fact, I was even thinking about the possibility of EA porting it to the PSP. Considering how much they like porting their games to other systems, as well as everything else they have already ported to the PSP, I would like to have a SSX game on the PSP. It would probably be a nice "quick-fun" type game, like THUG 2; unfortunately, they'll probably price it at $50, like THUG 2. :(

Actually, I would love for just about 99.9% of these games to be re-released on some handhelds (if they haven't already). Considering a lot of them would probably not take up too much space on a cart/disc, most of them could be packaged with others to make up one "game."

*Imagines playing a FF7/FFT/Xenogears combo on the PSP screen.*

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

1. Chrono Cross (PS1). I don't know what it is... but it's impossible for me to get tired of this game. Maybe it's the music, the storyline, all the characters... it's just absolute perfection.

2. Powerball (Genesis). Simple, yet incredibly addictive and challenging. And the AI seems inexplicably better than nearly all modern sports games.

3. Latest version of ESPN NBA (PS2). There's nothing like playing this game with 4 or 5 people. This game has slowly evolved into my buddies' (and my) favorite passtime. It just never gets old.

4. SSX3 (PS2). They reaaaallly need to come out with another one of these. The effect of taking out and adding in elements of the music based on how you're doing is about the slickest single thing in any game. On any system. Ever. Not to mention the graphics, courses, and sense of speed are killer as well.

5. X-Com: the UFO Defense (PS1, PC). Really hard, really strategic, ridiculously deep. If you love micromanagement in your games, this is THE game for you.

6. King's Field 2 (PS1). All three King's Fields were fun, but 2 takes the cake. It's not about the combat, graphics, even storyline... it's about exploration, treasure-hunting, and most of all: feel. Something about this game just feels perfect.

7. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis). Still the best side-scroller beat 'em up ever, baby.

EDIT:
    Ohhhhh... you're right. I think that might bump Streets of Rage 2 off my list. Come to think of it, I sure was hopelessly addicted to the King's Field series too...

I've at least partly played every game in the series. Let me tell you man... play 7, then play 10. Both of those are probably top-10 all-timers for me. In contrast, 8, 9, and 10-2 are massive wastes of your time. No wonder you were put off.

#42 Drexlerfan22, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Flashback: The Quest for Identity - Sega Genesis
    Intellivision Basketball
    Diablo 1, 2, Lords of Destruction - PC
    Doom - PC
    Joust - Arcade

4. rudager

rudager Member

1. ZTetris 86 (Texas Instruments TI-86)
    2. Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
    3. Halo (X-Box)

Those are the only ones I feel strongly about.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Galaga
    Donkey Kong
    Crazy Climber
    Dig Dug
    All the Mario Bros. games
    All the Mega-Man games

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Even Mega Man 64, Mega Man Network Transmission, and Mega Man Soccer? ;)

OT, but that reminds of this game I heard of coming out soon. It is being developed by Namco and Capcom (called Namco X Capcom IIRC) that has a lot of the characters from both sides. There are characters from Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Mega Man, Xenosaga, Dino Crisis (I think), and more. It looks like it plays sort of like some of the Namco "Tales of..." RPG games, although I've only seen a few pics and only one trailer, all in Japanese. Sounds pretty cool though.

Back on topic:
    Pretty much agree with this, and I've done everything or just about everything in each of those games. 8 isn't too bad but it isn't on the same level as some of the others, IMO. 9 and 10-2 do have some good things, and actually do provide some elements of fun that aren't quite as well implemented in other games, but their stories don't really compare to the other FF games, IMO. I actually ended up just renting those two, which says a lot considering I normally consider a FF game a must-buy. At least FF12 is looking to be more like a FF10 than a FF10-2, although I guess looks can be deceiving.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Should have said all the Mega Man games through 91, the year I graduated college and lost touch with video games.

8. Earl Cureton

Earl Cureton Contributing Member

Way to go with the olde school Sega Master System. Here's my top 5.

[​IMG]

#48 Earl Cureton, Apr 1, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Ms Pac Man
    Galaga
    Halo
    Legend of Zelda - The Ocarina of Time
    Super Mario Bros/Duckhunt

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

1. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES) - so amazing for it's time. the game play when playing against friends is just amazing.

2. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) - aside from super smash bros. on the N64, this was pretty much the first game i had played since the SNES. and it friggin' blew me away. i couldn't believe how real everything was, how much you could do. all the cars, killing people, beating people with bats, blowing stuff up, killing cops, just roaming around the city. so damn awesome. turned me on to the current group of games.

3. Mike Tyson's Punchout (NES) - great game, finally beat it.

4. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - the slick look, the worlds that were semi-tough, the new characters, all the little prizes and bonuses you could get. an excellent game.

5. Super Mario Kart (SNES) - do not **** with me when it comes to this game. i own it and that is all there is to it. Rainbow Road is my b****.

Honorable Mentions:

NCAA Football 2k4 (PS2) - the GTA3 of sports games for me

Super Mario Bros. 1 (NES) - as someone else said, the granddaddy of them all. my first video game and damn was it awesome that christmas morning. can't believe how short and easy the levels actually are. throwing in Duck Hunt and the Power Pad make this a legendary 3-in-1. did anybody not have/not play this game?

11. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

River City Ransom was just awesome. I remember that dude walking around with brass knuckles, then you could read a book about acrobatics and start doing flips to attack people.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No particluar order:

Zelda - Ocarina of Time
    Mario - N64
    Halo - Original
    Mariokart- N64
    Midtown Madness - Xbox Live

Honorable mentions:

Goldeneye
    Halo2
    MGS - PS2
    Contra - SNES
    Metroid - NES

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It warms my heart to see such good titles listed in this thread.

Tough call either way, and this list could change...oh, like five minutes from now for me....but here is what pops into mind right now.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3: Sure, the original started it all for me too, but part 3 was the pinnacle of old school mario platforming. One of the greatest games ever made - and certainly for me the best Mario game so far - this is as good as old 8-bit platforming gets.

2. Tecmo Super Bowl: Even the Madden games of today don't get as much play as this one did from me and my friends back in the day. I don't even think I have to explain to any longtime sports gamers why this thing is so awesome. They already know.

3. Metroid Prime: I still don't know how Retro and Nintendo was able to take a classic 2D game, turn it 3D and switch it into a first person view and still make it great and feel like the classics, but they did. Not even touching on how gorgeous Prime is, but it still feels like Metroid and is immersive like no other game I've ever played. Beautiful.

4. X-COM: UFO Defense: A PC favorite that unfortunately not many played - especially when considered alongside other more well-known PC games like Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Doom or Quake. But X-COM is a work of art. A '3D' isometric strategy game strategy game that had more depth than any game of its time should have. You actually cared about your troops, and landing them on a night mission alien hunt - when you could hear the bastards in the darkness - still gets the blood pumping.

5. Super Smash Bros., Splinter Cell, Resident Evil 4, Warcraft 2, Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past, Sam and Max Hit The Road: Any one of these (and more) could fit into this #5 spot, so I'll just lump them all together. :D

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think that a First Person Shooter should NEVER EVER be considered as one of the five best games of all time [Flame Suit On].

With that in mind....the top 5 games of all time THAT I'VE PLAYED AND FINISHED:

1. Super Mario 3
    2. Chrono Cross
    3. Metal Gear Solid
    4. Final Fantasy 7
    5. Super Tecmo Bowl

Honorable Mentions: Resident Evil 2, Super Mario RPG, Silent Hill, Madden 95/ NBA Live 95 are what comes to mind right now.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I couldn't stand this game, and I tried. This whole paragraph is pretty much polar opposite to my views of it.

Anyway, like RC, my list is always subject to change, but here it is anyway:

1. Streetfighter 2. It flat out changed games imo. I've been waiting for another game to revolutionize like this one did, but it hasn't happened yet. This game is/was damn fun.

2. SMB3. Best Mario of them all. All the ones after it have been weak.

3. Tecmo Super Bowl.

4. Chrono Cross. I really like how the story is presented. The soundtrack is awesome. The graphics are well done(though I wish the view wasn't so zoomed out at times). Like the monster designs. Love the battle system, there's a lot of ways to vary the attack style. Like the elemental animations. Like how there are a lot of bosses and mini-bosses, and that the grind of random encounters is absent. Just a very well done game that I didn't appreciate the first go around.

5. Phantasy Star Online. Yeah, this game is a grindfest treasure hunt, but it's fun and super addictive, esp if you went online with it.

Honorable mentions :

FF3
    Xenogears
    Ninja Gaiden
    LOZ : link to the past
    Super Mario Kart
    MGS

16. Win

Win Contributing Member

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

mike tyson's punchout(nes)
    goldeneye(n64)
    virtua tennis(dreamcast)
    virtua fighter
    street fighter 1
    halo( xbox)
    nba2k1(dreamcast)
    madden( year one on xbox)

18. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

1. FFVII on PS1. It was first time I played RPG's and I was absolutely hooked!

I remember spending a sh#tload of time trying to find a way to beat the Undersea Weapon after maxing out all the players.

I eventually did and that was a moment worth savouring! I'm thinking of digging up the old discs and see if my saved games on my memory card still works. On second thoughts I better not, if it doesn't work I will get really mad and if it does I might start from scratch and play it non-stop.

2. Streetfighter II on the arcade. That was when Guile was cool with the flash kick and sonic boooommm!

3. Sonic on Sega Megadrive. It was an afterschool routine that lasted all summer. Those were the days!

4. Missile Command on Atari- it was first game I ever reach a million points without starting again. I played like 4-5 hours straight.

5. Starcraft on PC. I was psyched up blasting those alien creatures with the marines or the good aliens. I was like Ripley in that I just wanted to wipe them out.

Honourable mention:

Quake. Network and FPS never really was my thing even now.

However, there was a time when one of my friends chucked a New Year's Eve party at his home and he connected like 4-5 PC's; we all spent the night just playing Quake.

I was hopeless at the time and I keep getting blown up.

So I wised up , lurked and watched them get blown up by my laser trip mines.

Good topic.

19. lpbman

lpbman Member

my fav 5

Shadowrun (Genesis)
    Homeworld (PC)
    Harpoon 2 (PC)
    Killer Instinct (SNES)
    FFX (PS2)

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

somebody needs to make some brackets