1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being Sued By The RIAA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, Nov 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

arr! good thing I be a pirate less on kazaa and imesh now days!

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

cohen.. I don't feel that something being overpriced gives you the right to steal is..

If you don't like the prices.. you don't have to buy it . nor do you have to steal it.

3. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

As a musician....AMEN.

It's a matter of respect, not just some stupid law. If I busted my ass and poured my heart and soul into a song, I especially don't want my work in the hands of someone who doesn't give a crap about the insane money/effort that went into making it. If I give you permission, or if you buy a CD, or even if you come to a show, fine. If not, **** off, nobody has the right to take away from the money I want to make, no matter how rich I was.

I understand that music is somewhat of an abstract concept, but I don't think most people realize the work that goes into making recordings.

:)

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

to answer the questions:

1) I think it was just a handful of songs by RIAA posterchildren (Clay Aiken, Jessica Simpson, etc)
    2) Kazaa was the program

Apparently what is happening is the RIAA is requesting my family member's info from Time Warner via their IP address. Time Warner has agreed to release their information to the RIAA so that suit can be filed. Wow, seems like a horrendous invasion of privacy.

5. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I don't know what it takes, but I know I couldn't do it, and I have an enormous amount of respect for those who can. Btw, do you have a CD out?

6. moomoo

moomoo Member

States, NBA, MLB join entertainment case against file-sharing

[Registration might be required, so here is the cut & paste]

ALEX VEIGA

Associated Press

Posted on Mon, Nov. 08, 2004

LOS ANGELES - A disparate group made up of dozens of state attorneys general, labor unions, retailers, professional sports leagues and others urged the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday to hear a claim brought by the recording and film industries against two Internet file-sharing firms.

In several legal briefs filed with the court, the petitioners stressed the justices should take the entertainment companies' case and finally resolve conflicting lower court rulings on file-sharing, said Steven Marks, general counsel for the Recording Industry Association of America.

The filings are designed to support a petition made last month by a coalition of major recording companies and Hollywood movie studios who asked the court to reverse lower court decisions clearing Grokster Ltd. and StreamCast Networks Inc. of liability for their customers' online swapping of movies and music.

Grokster distributes file-sharing software of the same name; StreamCast distributes a program called Morpheus.

In August, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco upheld a Los Angeles federal judge's ruling in a copyright lawsuit brought by the entertainment industry against Grokster Ltd. and StreamCast Networks Inc.

But that ruling only applies to the states under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit. In 2003, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago upheld a lower court ruling that successfully shuttered the Madster file-sharing service.

Among Monday's petitioners siding with the entertainment companies were the Association of American Publishers, Screen Actors Guild, Recording Artists Coalition, National Basketball Association and the commissioner of Major League Baseball, Marks said.

The sports leagues contend that if the court does not weigh in on file-sharing, programming that they license could wind up being disseminated online without their permission, sapping sales.

Briefs were also filed on behalf of recording artists Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Stevie Nicks and Sheryl Crow, among others. Licensed online music retailers Napster, MusicNet and DVD subscription provider NetFlix also filed briefs, Marks said.

The artists' documents argued performers, particularly non-superstars, are hurt by losing potential sales royalties to file-sharing. Napster and the other online retailers also argued they face losses from competition with unlicensed file-sharing services.

In all, 41 state attorneys general also submitted briefs. They argued file-sharing programs pose risks to consumers, such as identity theft and being unwittingly exposed to spyware and child p*rnography, Marks said.

Meanwhile, attorneys for StreamCast on Monday filed a brief with the court, asking the justices not to overturn the 9th Circuit's ruling.

"The petitioners are grasping for straws when they disingenuously assert that the Supreme Court should review the matter," the company's lawyers wrote. "The law is clear and has already been decided."

------------------------

I really really hope the NBA doesn't start cracking down until after this season. Please, Mr. Stern? Pretty please? :( :( :(

7. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

So now Napster is on the other end of the lawsuits? Oh the irony. Amazing to see how much things have changed (or maybe they've stayed the same?)

-Turbo

8. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Sapping sales? What sales? It's not like the NBA have made the entire season of the Rockets games available on DVDs. I think sports program getting involve with this is just stupid, they didn't lost a peny on file sharing.

9. moomoo

moomoo Member

If you don't buy League Pass because you can download the game, the NBA might argue that that is a lost sale.

If you don't watch the game on TV, that's means lower ratings for the show, which means lower ad revenue. That's also lost money.

But my question is, who the hell downloads Major League Baseball games anyway?? :confused:

10. gwayneco

Ditto for today's NBA.

11. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I think this should be in D&D.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No, it shouldn't.

I'm asking for help.

If people want to argue about copyright laws, they should do it in a different thread.

13. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Not one that I'd want anybody to hear :(

I just moved up here to the Midwest for school, so we didn't immediately have a full band, being that I didn't know anybody up here. We've finally found all the parts for our band though, and should have a real nice CD by the middle of next year. I'd be happy to send you a copy once it happens though :)

Back to the subject though, DonnyMost, not trying to be an insensitive clod. It sucks that your family member is getting harassed by those guys. F the RIAA!

14. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Exactly. I don't think you'll find anyone DEFENDING the RIAA. The problem is, that while you're trying to "fight the system" and hurt the RIAA, you're just hurting the artists. The RIAA never feels a thing. That's the bad thing in this battle.

15. gwayneco

Cool. What kind of music is it? I like a lot of different things. The "mega-hits" that the music industry markets has little appeal to me now. Intead of that stuff, I try to support some of my local and regional favs while ignoring what gets played on commercial FM radio. I don't even listen to commercial FM stations anymore.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Nor do you have to put words in my mouth.

At least read someone's posts before you make assumptions.

And don't act like the file-sharers are the only ones who've been stealing... RIAA did also stealing from all of their consumers by price fixing ... and they got off easy.

#96 Cohen, Nov 11, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I thought this several pages ago. Its bringing me down man, its bringing me down. When I want to see aomeone whine and complain, I go to the D&D. Or I go home to my wife. *rimshot*