1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ebay, lawsuits, and the cops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AntiSonic, Jul 2, 2000.

Tags:
  1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

There's this item that I would absolutely love to have that's on auction at Ebay, but it's of questionable legal status concerning copyrite laws. It's a VHS copy of a DVD special-edition film that was recalled and its production stopped. Seeing as how the DVD was recalled and discontinued, the few units that were sold are now collector's items that go for as high as $160 on Ebay, so one can easily see why I'd rather purchase the $10-$20 VHS bootleg(that and the fact that I don't own and can't afford a DVD player). However, I noticed that there have been no bids for the tape which leads me to hesitate buying it because of possible legal issues. So here are my questions:

1) Is it illegal to purchase copied material? I know that it's illegal to copy copyrited material without written consent, but owning it is a different matter...

2) Could it be a ploy by the manufacturer of the discontinued DVD to sucker someone into an illegal action and slap a lawsuit on them to discourage future copying of their material?

Now I did do a lot of browsing on the site and found all sorts of tapes on auction that I'm sure were not the products of 'express written consent.'

Any help and advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

------------------
    BACK WITH A VENGEANCE.

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited July 02, 2000).]

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I am not positive, I am pretty sure that you would be allright buying it.

There are so many bootleg videos out there that it would be rediculous to punish one offender. Especially since the DVD is not in distribution and the original producer cannot make more money anyway.

I would just be concerned about quality, since you cannot see before you buy...

I say go for it - If anmy heat comes, just say you got it for me, I'll take the fall.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000
    *Your Ad Here*

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Thanks- and I'll hold you to that! [​IMG]

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

rimbaud,

I sent you an email.

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Smeg will be assimilated.

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, it is illegal to purchase copied, copywritten material, but it is almost never acted upon. Usually, it is the seller that is at the most grave risk because he is profiting from it. The worst that could happen is that someone could seize your DVD, but the chances of that happening are almost non-existent.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com