1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teaching Kids to Panhandle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hoopjunkie, Jun 27, 2000.

1. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Interesting spin... I've never given it much thought.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

2. dc sports

dc sports Member

hoopjunkie,

I never thought much about it either. I do know that I never give to those asking on the side of the road (except for the firefighters / fill the boot campaign).

I will sometimes go out of my way for young people willing to work a little for such trips. It's not too much trouble to do a fund raiser -- at least wash a car or sell something.

Sometimes, the pancakes or chili isn't even that bad. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, my wife and I have been talking about this for months. Just two blocks from our house is a busy intersection with parking lots on every corner (well, fast food, dry cleaners, gas stations, etc). Nearly every weekend, kids are out there collecting donations or offering car washes for some organization.

Now, I don't have a problem with them trying to raise money, but the think that always makes me cringe a little is that nearly every time it is 14, 15 or 16-year-old girls in very short shorts and sometimes only bikini tops yelling at passers by to get their cars washed.

I'm not prudish but it just seems very inappropriate and more than a little dangerous. I'm just not sure that if I were a parent, I would want my 15-year-old daughter parading around on a street corner in a revealing outfit. Getting hit by a car could very well be the least of her worries.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

One other thing, dc. I ALWAYS stop and give money to homeless guys if I have any. My wife and I just make it a habit to give to everyone we can. It isn't my place to judge them or ask them what they are spending it on or why they are begging. I just give hope it helps.

Just an aside.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

The following viewpoint was in Today's Chronicle:

I'm sure we've all seen high school students collecting money at streetcorners for special events. I think the writer raises some valid concerns. Isn't this dangerous -- don't we try to teach kids NOT to play in the street, and on streetcorners. Shouldn't we teach them better ways to raise money, and that panhandling is not an appropriate way to make money?
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.hts/editorial/588302

Pom-pom camp not worth risk

I cannot begin to express my feelings or concern for a city that allows its children to stand in the street and beg for money.

I know you've all driven (or swerved) by these children and their mindless parents and teachers darting in and out of our
    less-than-friendly traffic, begging for a buck or two so they can attend pom-pom camp in Topeka, Kan., or perhaps a track
    meet in El Paso. It would be different if these children were starving, risking their lives for a few cents in a can. However, they are not. Furthermore, the starving children of our city don't even do this.

I am shocked that the teachers, principals, superintendents and school boards of this area believe this is an acceptable way to
    teach our children to raise money for the things they desire. Have they not thought of the message they're sending? Is this what we want them to do as adults? How does begging for donations affect their self-worth?

Why haven't the powerful politicians of this city put a stop to this? After some homecoming queen is hit by a drunk driver or a
    city councilman while darting in and out of Galleria traffic or is abducted by some "wacko," I'm sure they'll find a way. It is my sincere hope that we stop this practice before tragedy occurrs

------------------
    Stay Cool... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited June 27, 2000).]

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Why are the firefighters any different than the highschool kids, or the nuns, or homeless guys? They are all asking for the same thing. I can see how the homeless people might be in a different situation, but the firefighters, nuns, and highschoolers are all asking for donations that will go towards some "real" program.

--------------------------------

Jeff,

I too agree that sometimes those highschool girls are a little too young with a little too much showing for my tastes. So, you are not alone.

---------------------------------

On giving money to homeless people,

Unfortunately, I usually don't have much to give anyone homeless person who asks anything. But, when I do have some change handy, I usually do give it to them. But, I have been told that I haven't given them enough, that I'm a cheap b*stard, etc.

A friend of mine who makes a good living is in the habit of giving money to the homeless on a fairly regular basis. One time when in downtown the two of us were approached by a homeless guy. My friend gave him all the change he had and we then proceeded to try and get into his car to leave, but the guy kept asking for more saying, "Hey man, you gotta nice car. You can afford to give me a little more." Meanwhile, three or four more homeless guys were coming out of the woodworks sensing that money was to be had.

I'm not trying to discourage people from giving money to people in need, but PLEASE be careful. My friend and I are two fairly large guys who can handle ourselves, but I can imagine how women or a couple might get into a bad situation, especially in downtown at night.

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

I know, the firefighter thing is probably being a little inconsistent. But, I really put them in a different category than teenager fundraising.

Mainly for the reasons above. The "Fill the Boot" campaign is an organized, nationwide fundraiser for MDA. It's well publicized, and you have a good idea where to expect the firefighters. I don't have the same safety concerns, because they are very visible, (genrally with a fire truck) and are very careful.

They have specific safety and collection guidelines. They also aren't doing it to benefit themselves in any way -- and aren't as persistant as some groups.

Young people collecting money aren't well publicized, or expected. They usually aren't very visible, and are often careless about where they walk, watching traffic, etc. It's not very safe, especially in Houston with all of the crazy drivers.

Plus, it's usually to benefit themselves in some way -- for a trip or a club. Not that these aren't worthy causes, but I'd feel better if they were doing something to in some way work for the money.

My parent's always encouraged me to give something in return with fund raisers, to work for the money. They wanted help encourage a good work ethic -- be it a carwash, selling bark mulch, cookies, dinner theater, pancake supper, or whatever. Looking back, I think it was a good plan.

P.S. I've never been approached by a nun at a street corner asking for money. If I was, I'd probably be a little suspicious. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...