1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Murder of Gary Graham

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Jun 22, 2000.

1. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Gary Graham shouldn't pack too warmly for where he's headed...but if he truly wants forgiveness, he'll bring extra sunblock for George W.

You don't right a wrong with another wrong --and murder, by any moniker (including "Capital Punishment"), is wrong. Even if Graham were guilty, murdering him won't bring back the victims and it won't bring about forgiveness or redemption or reform. Its an easy out. Sure, it'll take him off the streets, but so would life in prison without parole.

Think of this -- 75% of Texans support the death penalty. Thats a lot of votes right there...

Its politics dealing death, people, plain and simple.

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Stone Cold Hakeem wrote

Think of this -- 75% of Texans support the death penalty. Thats a lot of votes right there...

Perhaps then, the New Arena being proposed could host also host death penalty Executions, as well as the Rockets and Comets games.

That way the Proposal should get through no problems.

With that amount of support, Texans would pay for the whole stadium in taxes if it was used for such a good cause.

Maybe the new arena could even have a name to match, something like:
    • Execution Fieldhouse
    • The House of Death,
    • Eye for an Eye Centre
    • HellHouse,
    • Death Penalty Square Garden
    • MurderDome
    • Capital Punishment Arena
    • Killing Fieldshouse
    • Mortality Palace
    • Butchery Coliseum,
    • SlaughterHouse,
    • SlayDome
    • Unredeemable Arena.

------------------
    Mango is the Smeg of Bizarro World

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited June 23, 2000).]

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If you don't kill these people, your telling every criminal out there that it's okay to murder and, if you do and are found guilty, we will send you to prison for life with free board and meals. Most of these guys have been in and out of prison. They like the place...it's home. If they get out, then they go right back in because they don't know how to fit into a normal society. Think about it...if prison is so bad, why would any murderer want to spend his entire life behind bars? Because it isn't so bad for them...they got their meals, beds, friends, gangs, boyfriends, etc.....to them, that's like living in paradise. Not to mention all the crap that gets smuggled in. If murderers had half a brain at all, they would know if they kill somebody, they stand the risk of being killed themselves. Without that, they will never stop. As a taxpayer, I don't want to pay to keep this person with no conscience alive..even if it really does cost more to execute.

If someone murdered one of your family members, I think your vantage point about wanting them to live would change real fast.
    This guy killed my family member and now gets a lifetime of meals and board and gangs in prison.

Graham talked about the state of Tx "murdering" him like it was a lynching. What about all the stuff he did including robberies, rape, and attempted murder along with a murder conviction? Umm...excuse me if I don't sob over his sad story. He turned it into a racist thing. He did it all to himself. A normal person wouldn't be in that situation. Race has nothing to do with it...he could be white for all I care. He's still a horrible person.

How about we take something away from them instead of executing them? I agree...let's get rid of the death penalty and give convicted murders labotomies. I will agree to a no death penalty then...as long as the murderer is turned into an invalid who can no longer brag and go on as if he did nothing...when he actually did the worst things imaginable.

Surfguy

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited June 23, 2000).]

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Hmmm....it didn't solve their problem, now did it? It McDuff had been given something along the lines of life without parole(which doesn't exist in this state), then those people might still be alive.

The problem lies within our criminal justice system and our court system in general. Federal intervention into our state prison system has reduced the actual punishment a person recieves in prison. These days an inmate has more rights and amenities than a lot of people on the street. Lay the blame where it belongs, guys.....

1.On the sleazy attorneys who continue to represent incarcerated individuals in the pursuit of frivilous lawsuits against the system

2.On the federal judges that refuse to quit tampering with state correctional regs

4.On our crippled state courts and all the nauseating plea-bargining that goes on...and the lack of truth in-sentencing disclosures.

3. On an immoral society in general, that tolerates all this crap meekly.

Hope you enjoyed your George Bush dog & pony execution show.... Word is that there will be one every week until the election. Guess that means you'll get a wank a week till then [​IMG]

------------------

5. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

I don't care if Graham was wrongfully accused in the murder of Lambert. Here's a thought: if you don't want to be accused for a murder, maybe you shouldn't go on a robbery, rape, and shooting spree all in one week.

How about we name the new football team to the Houston Executioners?

------------------
    I will demonstrate my clutchness this November.

6. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

What's a wank and do I really want or need one once a week? [​IMG] I have zero problem with the regularity of executions in Texas, btw, be it Bush, Richards, Clements, Briscoe,...

------------------

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

He is free. He never has to serve another day of prison time. Ever.

I hope that your life remains free from criminal intrusion, so that you can continue to take the service of the men and women of our police forces for granted.

Graham was convicted and then had his appeals heard by 33 state and federal courts. None of them found any credibility in his claims of innocence.

Now I'm really sorry that the lefty cause celebre of the month didn't win the big game, but like it or not, our legal system worked.

Graham was guilty.

Now he's dead.

My mother always told me, "You should speak only good of the dead."

I have no problem with that: it's good that Graham's dead.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited June 23, 2000).]

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The death penalty will not come to an end until someone is put to death and then the actual criminal is caught and the person who was put to death is cleared.

While I have significant moral objections to the death penalty as a "lefty" (thanks, BK [​IMG] ), my main problem is the POSSIBILITY that someone really is innocent.

If one innocent life is lost as the result of the death penalty (and, I'm sure there been more than that given the sheer numbers executed over the past 20 years), it would be too many.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

The same men and women who murder innocent people, take bribes, discriminate others, etc. I know not everyone in the police force is dirty and I know there must be a system that protects. I'm just saying that it bothers me that a large portion of the justice system is corrupt and biased.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess my main problem with the death penalty is the rate at which it is used. I think the more people you kill, the more likely you are to kill someone innocent.

Another problem I have with executions are the way that people celebrate these things. That's sick, IMO. Mocking death, no matter who it is, is wrong.

The solution to this problem is making life without parole an option in this state. More people would vote for that, so the death penalty would not be invoked as often, thus diminishing the chances of an innocent person being executed. Plus, statistics have shown that states that offer life without parole have lower murder rates than states that offer the death penalty only.

I have no doubt that this country has executed an innocent person before. I can also bet on the reason why they haven't been proved. The vast majority of those who are killed by the state are poor. Their families don't have the resources to continue the fight, especially after the only thing it would do is clear their names. Proving them innocent afterwards wouldn't bring them back, just like executing a murderer wouldn't bring the original victim back either.

I'll be interested to hear what God/Higher Power has to say about capital punishment should I ever meet it. The last time I read the 10 Commandments, it read "Thou Shall Not Kill", not "Thou Shall Not Kill Unless Your Government Says It's OK-Dokey".

------------------
    "Go to hell Costas"-Dave Nelson after sweeping the ABSCAs on NewsRadio

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited June 23, 2000).]

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

why not just put all the murderers on a deserted island and have CBS film them?

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Outlaw, that was genius!

The point here is that the guy had 30 something chances to get a reduced sentence somehow, someway. You mean to tell me that if there was one shred of him being innocent it wouldn't of come out at least once?

Damn. How many chances can you get?

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

13. dc sports

dc sports Member

It would never work! Why? -- There aren't too many convicted murderers who look good in a bikini! [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

14. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

all i have to say on this is, two wrongs dont make a right.

off the subject, for a cool league where you get to be the gm of one of your favorite team check this site out:
    http://nbagmleague2000.homestead.com/Main.html

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

15. BrianKagy

I feel sorry for the men and women of the armed forces, in that case.

Or a woman who shoots a would-be rapist.

Or a homeowner defending his property from an armed intruder.

I guess they're going to face the wrath of God (a k a Higher Power) when they pass on.

------------------

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

BK: If you believe in such things, many religions believe that you do carry those things with you after you die. Jesus, himself said, if someone hits you to turn the other cheek. He didn't say, pull out an .38 and waste the ugly b*stard.

Most religious beliefs are predicated on the belief that non-violence, no matter what the circumstance, is better than violence even if it ends in the death of the "victim". Frankly, I wish we all held that belief. It would make this world a much nicer place to live.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

17. BrianKagy

I'm not really into wishing, Jeff. I prefer pragmatism. And, pragmatically, I don't think that an American soldier who shoots and kills an enemy soldier-- or any individual who executes our society's version of justice-- has a lot to worry about on Judgment Day.

We're imperfect. I'm pretty sure God knows that.

------------------

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well, if we are going to bring religion into this argument, then there is no contest.

I believe the book of Genises states that God mandates that if someone takes a life unjustly that person has just given up his life. Meaning, if you kill someone, you must die for that crime yourself.

I have to look it up to quote exactly, but I am pretty sure its there.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is really getting heavily into philosophy, but, Almu, that depends on the religion you follow. If you follow Judiasm or Islam, then that would be an appropriate response.

However, Christian religion, in which the teachings of Christ outweigh those of the Old Testament, and every other religion in the world would fall under the category I mentioned.

BK: Like I said, it is about belief. I don't believe in hell, personally, but I do believe in karma. Because of that belief, I oppose the death penalty as a matter of principle. Everyone has to believe what fits them.

I oppose the death penalty practically because there is NO way to guarantee that every single person put to death is guilty. In my estimation, one innocent life lost to execution is not worth the others that supposedly deserve death for their crimes and the loss of that innocent life is the only argument we need to determine that capital punishment needs a serious overhaul, particularly in Texas.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

20. BrianKagy

That would be the ultimate Catch-22, wouldn't it...? If you had to execute the executioner because he'd just executed someone.

------------------