1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff CD Release Party Friday, October 29

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Reminds me of a funny story. My ex's brother was one to pull practical jokes on all his friends. One of his friend's was one of those skittish dudes. Cool enough, but was always paranoid and just kinda weird. Well, he was in law school at OU, her brother, knowing that he was deathly afraid of mimes, hired one to follow him around for the day. He met him on campus then followed him to his first class doing his mime thing. He didn't follow him into the class, but waited for him when he got out and did the same thing. Dude wasn't happy. I wouldn't be either.

Hope to see you tonight. I forgot about date night with the fiancee'. We haven't been spending too much time together lately due to a loss in her "family", so tonight's important to her. I'm probably going to get there late, if you wanna save a CD for me.

BTW, what's the cover?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cover is $6.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

had a good night there, jeff... though i felt like i was spying on you there. wanted to say hello, but didn't want to interrupt you while you were talking to the only other blk dude there with the short dreads. i was the other blk guy sitting over at the bar with the brown derby downing the heinekens (sp?).

apparently i arrived too early to be charged for cover, so i didn't get a cd upon first arriving. saw a chick in a orange t-shirt, long brown hair, and a nose ring and asked her about it. she told me was with the band and she got me one. tried to pay the six bucks for the cover to her, but she wouldn't take it. she said something like "that's alright, hun. we want everybody to have one." later found out that she was the drummer for your band. nice chick.

anyway, the opening band was cool (that girl has a really strong voice... looks like avril, but has that yodelling (sp?) thing like alanis). i was only able to stay into the first four songs of your show, but had a good time.

by the way... i'm sure ms. jb was there too, but couldn't spot her since that cheerleader pic was posted a while ago.

big brother omega is watching you.

4. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Jeff,

As always, I enjoyed the show and am enjoying the CD. I'll be listening to it and the blendt CD on the way to Las Vegas on the Neches (Beaumont :)). And both CDs should be on It's Worth Radio shortly.

5. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Sadly, I wasn't there since I'm incredibly lame and tend to fall asleep by 10 p.m. :(

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Sorry to miss it, Jeff. Rudz is a long way from Pittsburgh. Alas.

If you think of it, tell Leesa happy birthday from Bob Villain.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

OS: Thanks for coming out. The guy I was talking to was Leland Isley, a good friend, tremendous photographer and world-class guitarist. He used to play in Global Village and now tours with Little Brian, the Zydeco guy. He was taking pics of us and we were just cracking jokes as usual.

I did see you there. Never worry about interrupting. I'm happy to talk with a fellow BBS'er.

The girl you talked to was Leesa. She's the best and just an amazing drummer. We have a blast playing together.

Stacey Steger opened. She reminds me of a cross between Aviril (in voice only) and Gwen Stefani. Her music is bluesy rock kinda like Liz Phair's early stuff. Great hooks. Leesa and I played on almost all of her new record and our guitarist, Chris, produced it. She is moving to Austin in December to try and get started up there.

As Mrs JB pointed out, she was at home. She is most definitely NOT lame (she's awesome), but she gets up much earlier than I do and definitely needs her sleep. :)

Thanks again for coming out. Hope you enjoy the disc. I'll probably post a couple songs from the show to our site (we recorded it live) and let you guys know.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

gwayneco: Always great to have you out. Glad you like the CD and I can't wait to hear it on the big bad internet radio. My personal choice would be either track 1 or 2, but I'll leave that up to you. ;)

BJ: I'll definitely tell Leesa you said Happy Birthday.

It was a fun show and we got a good response. Glad for those of you who made it and, for those who didn't, see you next time. :)

9. gwayneco

Jeff,

A complaint - no Dancing All Alone on the CD! Just kidding about that, though I really like that song. I will go with your suggestions. Father's Day is a really powerful song, I especially like the first few lines.

The radio station needs a lot of work. My listeners, er listener [actually me], is getting restless with the current playlists :).

I would love to catch Leland with Little Brian - I loved his work with GV.

Had the best time I've ever had in Beaumont today, and I have been there hundreds of times. Of course, that was visiting relatives rather than hearing some very cool artists ;). Caught a bit of Barbara Lynn preceeding Gatemouth Brown, Tab Benoit, and Delbert McClinton. Hope the Paisley Close show went well as I do like their fresh takes on Irish music.

#49 gwayneco, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dancing will be on the full-length disc we do early next year. That song is one George and I have done since like 1995 and this is the first band where it REALLY came together.

In all honesty, of the six that are on the disc, probably only three will get re-done on a new CD. When we started Snacks back in, what, June, we expected it to be just a demo. We had to take some time off from making it over the summer and figured we'd release it as an EP. What the hell? :)

When we started it, those were the songs that we knew the best so those are what made the disc. Dancing has become one of my favorites. The live version we recorded last night came out great. I'll send you an MP3 copy if you want it.

Glad to hear Beaumont was fun. What a lineup!

11. gwayneco

Before this thread dies out ....

Jeff,
    Yes, I would like that mp3.

And I have put together an hour and half mix with She Calms My Nerves and Father's Day from the orange is in CD as well as King of the World and Attic Song from blendt's CD. It also has 2 songs each from: Modulator, Carl Hayn and the Holdouts, The Dukes of Houston, Slapshifter, and Paisley Close/Gordian Knot as well as a few other artists.

To listen, just click on the It's Worth It Radio link in my sig.

#51 gwayneco, Oct 31, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Jeff,

Sorry I couldn't make it out but I was at work until 3a trying to get our servers back up. You should come out to Live for the season opener, though. First Ginger Ale on me! ;)

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

gwayneco: Great name for that station! :)

b ball: I'll probably be working late that night, but I'll take a rain check if you make it a Dr. Pepper. :D

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Fair enough. I'm gonna hold you to it.

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

no prob. had a good time. first semi-bbs somewhat get together... i think. i'll probably bring along a couple of friends to the next if possible. the type of friends that get crazy and like to dance when we're drunk. so don't be suprised if we break out and start "doin' the butt" or the "lean back" routine at one of your future shows. will say hello next time.

maybe next time, mrs jb. :) first i thought you may have been the girl in the orange t (leesa), then someone else with some long sleeve ruffle blue shirt... i started to ask a few, but didn't want them to think that i was trying to hit on them with some lame come-on line.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cool. Definitely bring the crazies. :)

As for Mrs JB, she's definitely NOT Leesa. My drummer is awesome, but she's about 6'1" and is built like a linebacker. Mrs JB is 5'3" and built like Kristen Davis. :D

17. gwayneco

Well, just got back from Beaumont (or maybe I should say Bo-Mont), and Bo Diddley was awesome. A great conclusion to a great weekend of music that started with Stacey Steger. He was backed by Hamilton Loomis and his band. There were a few hiccups along the way since they had never played or even reheased together, but overall, it was outstanding.

#57 gwayneco, Oct 31, 2004
  18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hamilton is such a nice guy. I've hired him to play harmonica on a couple of sessions and he was always great and super easy to work with.

19. gwayneco

He played a set of his own right before Diddley and I definitely want to catch HL around town sometime.

Diddley's set even included a rap song, which was quite interesting. And he has a pretty funny stage banter. Diddley was also very nice to Hamilton on stage, paying him nice compliments

You know, if this festival had been scheduled for last week, Diddley would have canceled. He was having problems from his toe amputation surgery and he canceled a show last week, so it was very fortuitous that he was able to come to Beaumont. .

#59 gwayneco, Oct 31, 2004