1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Houston NFL team

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocketsfan Eric, May 22, 2000.

1. Rocketsfan Eric

Is the Houston NFL team named the Texans, like what has been said here on the board. Their website mentioned nothing of this. Also, while the University of Houston play in the new stadium? Lastly, why doesn't Les sell the Thunderbears. Houston is not an Arena Football town. 3,000 at CC doesn't cut it. I am suprised Les still has the the Thunderbears. Sorry to post about football here, but I figured you people would know the answers to my questions. Also, the forums on the Chron's website are awful.

------------------

2. Tutle

Tutle Member

Eric, they have not named the Houston NFL team, yet. I think that person who called them the Houston Texans was just saying that simply because it is his favorite choice. I am rooting for Stallions, The Houston Stallions. It is my favorite and they could make an awesome stallion design for their logo. I think the University of Houston is supposed to share the stadium. I am not positive on that though.

I think Les should sell the Thunderbears. They have the lowest attendance out of all the Arena teams. If the Rockets and Comets stay in Houston beyond 2003, I think it would be inevitable that Les sell the Arena team. No one would care about it by that time because the Houston NFL team would be in full effect.

------------------

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

1) McNair said he had the name narrowed down to two strong possibilities, the Texans and the Stallions. He has made no final decision.

Immediately, all the news stations decended on Bum Phillips home, and he said of the two he preferred Texans, because he just couldn't see a team named the Stallions.

(For those who don't know, Bum Phillips coached the Houston Oilers for many years in it's prime, and is somewhat of a football legend. He is retired, and has absolutely no connection with the new team at all. But, a lot of people respect his opinion, so the press keeps flocking to him for quotes about the new football team. )

2) Will the UofH play in the new stadium?

I seriously doubt it. They put a lot of time into renovating their origional stadium. They made a point of returning to tradition, and a place that they could call their own. Rice also has a very nice stadium, that they will deffinitely continue to use.

The new stadium will also have natural grass. The Astrodome's astroturf was fairly indistructable, but natural grass doesn't stand up to a lot of the abuse that football players put on it. The NHL team will probably want to keep the grass nice and pretty, and won't want some college team tearing it up the Saturday before they play.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if Les Alexander takes a good look at the Thunderbears after this season. A lot of it depends on the type of overhead they have. He probably would have given up before now if it was loosing a lot.

Part of it depends on whether he wants to stretch it out until they can give it a go in the new arena, where they could be more successful. Alexander may feel his hands are tied, because he: a) wants to use the third team as leverage, and b) he doesn't want to be accused of getting a new arena, then selling of a team for the sake of turning a profit. (Sound familliar?)

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited May 23, 2000).]

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Rocketsfan Eric,

Don't worry about posting football in here. That's what Clutch made the "Hangout" forum for, whatever we wanted to talk about that didn't deal with the Rockets.

I actually want to commend you for putting this in the correct forum, something many members can't grasp.

---------------------------------

What happened to the "Texas Terror" Arena League team?

I know it's been a few years, but did they just rename the team or did we get a new one?

I just think "Thunderbears" is stupid, while "Texas Terror" was pretty cool.

---------------------------

On our NFL team:

Both Texans and Stallions are horrible names. Neither name is going to make me want to root for them very much. Then again, I didn't see many names that sounded like good football names anyways. I still say my choice of "Rattlers" kicked both "Stallions" and "Texans" ass.

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

DREAMer,

Actually, he posted on the SOR board, and Jeff helped him out by moving the thread. Eric, I do commend you for asking the quesition. Have fun exploring the boards here.

I'd actually prefer they go in a little different direction than the wild west -- people in other parts of the country still think we use horses for getting around town. Roughnecks was interesting, paing homage to the oil industry. We are running out of good Aerospace names -- "Nova" or "Spacemen" would be corny. (How about the Men in Black?) My favorite suggestion was the Houston Storm.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Not likely. The new stadium will probably seat what, 60,000 people or so? That's about 50,000 more than UH needs for the majority of their games.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Next season, UT plays UH in Houston. Last I heard the new UH coach wants to play the game at Robertson which is a big mistake. This is UH's opportunity to make some money. The Astrodome or Rice Stadium would be better venues for the game. Robertson seats like 25,000. There's more than 25,000 alumni/students/fans from both schools that would want to go to the game.

------------------
    It's all good!

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited May 23, 2000).]

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wouldnt "Stallions" Be to much like Broncos?
    Im in southern California so I was hoping for an LA team we have better names than you [​IMG] . How about the Houston Foilers

------------------
    Proud owner of 271 different Hakeem Olajuwon Basketball cards

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

See, I thought Houston Drillers would be good. It is essentially the same as Oilers. It lends itself to creative headline writing. And, of course, the chances for risque humor are always present with such a name.

But, it didn't get picked. I don't know that Stallions is too much like Broncos anymore than Broncos is too much like Chargers or Colts. Once the entire concept is put before us, any perceived similarities will likely disappear (because the whole concept will be before us. The logo the uniforms, the colors, all that....)

Almost Interesting Sidenote: Had St. Louis received an expansion team in 1993 instead of Jacsonville, the team would've been called the St. Louis Stallions. (I even have a couple of St. Louis Stallions caps.)

------------------

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Robertson Stadium holds 32,000 now after the 1998 renovation. Still not much for a D-1 football stadium.

------------------